RPI4 - Hyperbian - WS2812B

• Hello everyone,

I have some problems with my installation...

My led strip have no reaction, sometimes it lights up white, sometimes it doesn't even light up.

My hardware installation :

-RPI 4

-led Strip WS2812B ()

-Alimentation 5v 10a for the led strip ()

-Video capture (HDMI to USB) ()

-splitter HDMI 4K 60Hz ()

I have read on many tutorial that the led strip must be connected to RPI on GND pin (connected to Pin 9) and on GPIO18 for DI. But my led strip doesn't light up...

I have try to connect on a SPI pin (pin 19 GPIO10 - SPIO-MOSI) and with this configuration my led strip light up white only.

I have try many configuration of hyperion (change configuration of led strip, change video capture,...) but nothing works.
    When I click on display pannel I view my TV screen and a good configuration of my led strip, but they are no adaptation of the color (excepted when I valide a change, the led strip light up in blue or green)

I have test my led strip (and his alimentation) with a arduino Uno and it works perfectly.

I have realy no more idea to solve that

Can you help me?

PS: sorry for my English, i speak french

• hello man,

we can write off a lot of things that is working,

• ledstrip is working
    • live feed capturing is working
    • Hyperion.NG runs
    • PSU is working ( probably correct)

you can put the log in here > restart PI/Hyperion.NG en go to

press the wand and select expert level, then go to

and post it here.

you can run the ledstrip with 2 diffrent ledcontrollers

SPI and PWM

for PWM ( audio pulse) you need GPIO18 ( PIN12)

for SPI you need GPIO10 ( PIN19)

if you want to run PWM then select PWM in ledcontroler, make sure the ledlayout is correctly saved.

then in boot of SD card config.txt insert a extra line:

dtparam=audio=off

most of the time only this is enough to run PWM, if its not then you have to run Hyperion.NG as root

important:

also check the powersupply (PSU) > voltage not over 5 volts

power the ledstrip ( if in one piece) from BOTH sides

• Hello,

Thanks for your help !

For be sure i have flash again my SD card with hyperbian and I have follow your instructions.

I have connected the ledsti with PWM on GPIO18 and I have change the line in config.txt.

I have check my powersupply and the voltage = 5.010 volts

I have also power the ledstrip from both sides

But my ledstrips doesn't light up

I have also try to change the web configuration for my led material. I have changed from WS2812 in SPI to WS281XX in PWM.

I have juste not try to run Hyperion.NG as root because i don't no how i must do this ^^

Here you can view the log in attachments ;)

• there is no errors in the debug log file,

can you change the dma setting from 5 to 10 in ledcontroller and turn off smoothing setting?

if this doesn't help then Hyperion has to run under root to give priority to PWM/

the only thing that is strange: SPI ledcontroller is also not working correct

can you also make a debug log file with SPI ledcontroller ( and attached to GPIO10)

also with smoothing turned off. :)

and increase baudrate setting from default and try again, it seems that ledstrip is receiving data but can not handle it.

• what type of PI 4 you have there?
    • is the startup effect working, "Rainbow swirl fast" set as PWM or SPI ( and connected to correct GPIO?)
  • I have change the dma setting and turn of smoothing setting, but always no reaction.

I have change to SPI mode

-connect to GPIO10

-web configuration on WS2812spi

-Baudrat increase form 3000000 to 5000000

I have a PI 4 B 4GB

I have the startup effect once, but now it doesn't do it. It don't light up...

and now I have another problem, in display mode i don't view my TV screen :|

• Hello,

I have found the solution.

Today I have found this article : https://learn.adafruit.com/neo…ry-pi/raspberry-pi-wiring

My problem was i had not connected a shifter between my PSU and the ledstrip.

I have connected a diode 1N4007 between VCC of my ledstrips and PSU and it works.

For other user that use the same hardware this how i connected all of my setup :

RPI 4 B connected with ledstrip

Pin 14 (GND) -- GND

Pin 32 (GPIO12) -- DIN

PSU - Ledstrip

VCC from both sides -- Diode 1N4007 -- V+ of PSU

GND from both sides -- V- of PSU

In the web configurator :

Led material : WS281X - number of yours leds - GPIO12

On SD card:

In config.txt : I have change dtparam=audio from "on" to "off"

I have change the extention of "config" and "cmdline" files from .txt to .conf

With this my ambilight works correctly. I must just do some ajustment for colors but that works.

Thank a lot for your help

• Hello,

I'm trying to make an ambilight with roughly the same config as Alaus (WS2812B) with RPI3 B+.

I tried the solution proposed by Alaus but unfortunately it does not work either.

Here are the parameters that I enter for the controler type.

Could you please help me ?

(I'm french too if Alaus see my message)

• For ws281x, Hyperion must run with root privileges. You can find all other settings here in the thread.

sudo updateHyperionUser -u root

regards pclin

Dreambox ONE / TWO

dreamOS OE2.6

Amlogic S922X - 53.000 DMIPS - 2 GB RAM - 16 GB Flash - Twin-DVB-S2X Tuner - HDR10 - HLG
    -
    AudioDSP: miniDSP 2x4HD - Amp: Pentagon - Lautsprecher ELAC / ARENDAL
    LG OLED65BX9LB (PicCap, hyperion.NG webOS)

FireTV 4K max

-
    hyperion (classic) & Plugin HyperionControl | hyperion-ng 2.0.16-beta.1 (dreamOS)
    Hyperion-ng (Debian bullseye)
    -
    6 x ESP32/Wemos D1 mini - WLED - SK6812 RGBW-NW 60 LEDs/m
    FeinTech VSP01201 - Grabber Macrosilicon

LG TV Hyperion webOS & PicCap

snoozer_likelinux_manvtkns.gif

Ambilight for ever

• In the web configurator :

Led material : WS281X - number of yours leds - GPIO12

GPIO18 is default GPIO for PWM0 ( forum users of Hyperion.NG always select this one)

so i would try this GPIO instead

• I had my ambient lighting working flawessly for a couple years. I was using a PI 4 with apa102 Leds.

I bought a new TV and switched to 2812B Leds and cannot get it working at all.

My system consits of:

- PI 4

- 284 - 2812B Leds

- USB video card

- 70 amp 5V power supply

I have 5 volts end to end. I have video that I can see through accessing via a browser.

I cannot get the leds to light at all. The positive of the power is attached directly to the leds (with a 1N4004) with the cathode towrds the led strip. The ground from the power is attached to the led strip and the PI ground. I have tried attaching the control signal wire to GPIO18 and GPIO12.... nothing. I have tried selecting ws281x and also ws2812spi... nothing. I really don't understand which to select?

Is it that root access creating the issues? I didn't need this with the apa102 leds. Do I need to reinstall a new version of Hyperbian on the card with root access? Or can I somehow activate root access on the card? Is there an easy way for me to do this?

Any ideas would be appreciated. I've been working on this all day and am frustrated and confused.

Many Thanks for any help you can provide.

• Okay,

A few things,

when using GPIO18 you need to run PWM0 and ledcontroller ws281x

For that yes, you need to run Hyperion as root, so activate root access with Sudo command in terminal and reboot.

If you want to use GPIO10 (Mosi) you can run only SPI0 on ledcontroller SPIws2812

Get rid of the diode please. No artificial electronics is needed than only (maybe) a resistor at begin of your strip between the GPIO and the data IN.

Only thing a resistor does is lower down current trough the first led, if you power from more sides you don’t need it also.

• ws281x must run with root rights, everything else works under the normal user.

Older Hyperion run with root privileges, but that has changed.

There is a script that you can easily use to change the Hyperion user.

sudo updateHyperionUser -u root

regards pclin

Dreambox ONE / TWO

dreamOS OE2.6

Amlogic S922X - 53.000 DMIPS - 2 GB RAM - 16 GB Flash - Twin-DVB-S2X Tuner - HDR10 - HLG
    -
    AudioDSP: miniDSP 2x4HD - Amp: Pentagon - Lautsprecher ELAC / ARENDAL
    LG OLED65BX9LB (PicCap, hyperion.NG webOS)

FireTV 4K max

-
    hyperion (classic) & Plugin HyperionControl | hyperion-ng 2.0.16-beta.1 (dreamOS)
    Hyperion-ng (Debian bullseye)
    -
    6 x ESP32/Wemos D1 mini - WLED - SK6812 RGBW-NW 60 LEDs/m
    FeinTech VSP01201 - Grabber Macrosilicon

LG TV Hyperion webOS & PicCap

snoozer_likelinux_manvtkns.gif

Ambilight for ever

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!