WS281x Issue in Alpha 10 version

• Hi! I used to alpha 9 and my led strip ws2812 connect via pin with Raspberry Zero works very well. But know with the new version alpha 10 doesn't work. And i already setting up the same way

PD: Sorry my english

• This log has the error that shows me hyperion.

Device disabled, device 'ws281x' signals error: 'Failed to open. Error message: mmap() failed'

(ERROR) Failed to get record: ' WHERE type=?' in table: 'settings' Error:

• 2021-07-19T18:38:30.238Z [hyperiond LEDDEVICE] (DEBUG) (LedDeviceWS281x.cpp:59:init()) ws281x strip type : 1050624

2021-07-19T18:38:30.245Z [hyperiond LEDDEVICE] (ERROR) Device disabled, device 'ws281x' signals error: 'Failed to open. Error message: mmap() failed'

----- This instance components' status ------->

ALL - true

SMOOTHING - true

BLACKBORDER - true

FORWARDER - false

BOBLIGHTSERVER - false

GRABBER - false

V4L - false

LEDDEVICE - false

ledcontroller ws281x is not running, i think you have to run Hyperion as root to steer PWM ( audio pulse)

you can do a few things to do this.

first is dtparam=audio=off in config.txt boot section.

if that doesn't work> in terminal of raspi;

sudo systemctl disable --now hyperion@pi

sudo systemctl enable --now hyperion@root

sudo reboot now

in Hyperion web page> leddevice has to be green and running.

• Failed to disable unit: Unit file hyperiond@pi.service does not exist.

Before i try this:

sudo systemctl disable --now hyperion@pi (WITHOUT D)

sudo systemctl enable --now hyperion@root (WITHOUT D)

And now when i try ssh the hyperion status appear as "stopped"

The led begin with the rainbow swirl boot animation but then i can't enter to the configuration website

• Just wanted to say i was hitting the same error
    and for me it got fixed with the suggested commands above, although i had to reconfigure the instance again.

Code
    sudo systemctl disable --now hyperion@pi
    sudo systemctl enable --now hyperion@root
    sudo reboot now
  • i have reinstalled the OS again, and then i put the command that were suggested me. And i got this. I run Hyperbian in a raspberry zero

pi@HyperBian:/boot $ sudo systemctl disable --now hyperiond@pi

Failed to disable unit: Unit file hyperiond@pi.service does not exist.

pi@HyperBian:/boot $ sudo systemctl enable --now hyperiond@root

Failed to enable unit: Unit file hyperiond@root.service does not exist.

• if you reflashed the latest hyperbian should you not just reconfigure alpha 10 in the dashboard as per the update post by TPmodding , running those commands was a work around to try and repair your previous version that broke on v9 but with a clean install your basically starting from a clean slate so there should be no need to run anyhting.

side note another easy method of installing would be flashing a stable version of libreelec and using Paulchen-Panther install guide Install Hyperion.ng on LibreELEC x86_64/RPi (inoffiziell/unofficially) , it really doenst come much easier than that and will probably use around the same resources as running hyperbian if not less

Just my opinion, good luck

• I will try with LibreELEC then. Thanks for your suggestion.

Now the led strip is working in Hyperbian Alpha-10. But after a while the capture device is deactivated, which causes the LED's to be frozen with the last information they received or they are turned off. And when this happens, I can't access the configuration website "myip:8090". I don't know why this happens. And also the same thing happened to me when I was using Alpha-9. Thanks for your help

• imho running capture card on a zero with hyperion is a lot to ask of the lil board, does this happen when using the internal grabber?

sounds like something is causing your system to hang, could even be a faulty capture device causing it - sode note i recently ran into similar probs with a cheap capture card - didnt hang the system but intermittent working and cutting out.

Good luck

• Ok thanks you for your help.

I have another question. Exist any way that I can use the LED strip connected to the raspberry as a wled. Then I can send the information from my PC with hyperion installed

• I know it, but nowi have two instances one connected to an ESP board and another connected to raspberry (behind the tv and welded) then i want use the raspberry as the ESP board and controll both instances with Hyperion on Windows. is it possible ?

• Came here as I was running into the exact same error after upgrading to v10 with a clean install (I should mention I'm running on a Raspi using HyperBian and reflashed my SD card with the new Image).

Device disabled, device 'ws281x' signals error: 'Failed to open. Error message: mmap() failed

diegoat, just wanted to say that Cslegers's post ended up working for me... however, he added a 'd', so it read 'hyperiond' instead of 'hyperion'. So the commands should look like this:

Code
    sudo systemctl disable --now hyperion@pi
    sudo systemctl enable --now hyperion@root
    sudo reboot now

This did require me to reconfigure everything as cslegers mentioned, but at least my LEDs are turning on now. So thanks Cslegers.

• Quick clarification question...

I am running into this issue as well, and upgraded from a hyperbian alpha9 raspi config to alpha10. I am not driving LEDs directly with pi GPIO - I am connecting hyperion to a WLED controller. I managed to get it running except the hyperion service won't start automatically after a reboot of the pi. Running the following via ssh will get it running again after a reboot:

sudo systemctl enable --now hyperion

If I use the commands referenced above, am I just putting a band-aid on the problem, or is it a legit fix? Or am I better off just flashing a fresh hyberbian with alpha10 (which seems to require no "fixes" like this to make it work)?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!