RPi4 - WS2812B - Flickering Issues

• Hello All -

I am new here and looking for some help. Over the last couple of weeks I have been working on setting up Hyperion on my 110" projector screen and am having issues with flickering during low brightness. This is happening both during video capture as well as running any effect or solid colors from the app. I have the power supply connected at both ends and am getting a consistent 4.7 - 4.9 throughout the strip so I don't think it's voltage drop. I've made sure that all of my wires are cleanly soldered and secure. I've replaced one power supply because I thought it may be voltage fluctuation and I have even tried using a logic level converter to increase the data signal. All to no avail! Any help would be greatly appreciated! I will list the details of my setup below.

Setup:

Server: Raspberry Pi 4 4GB (Raspberry OS Lite + Hyperion Alpha10)

LEDs: ( 416 LEDs Total )

PSU:

Level Converter:

Capture Card:

Hyperion: Hyperion 2.0.0-alpha.10

Wire: 18AWG Stranded

Please let me know if there is any additional information that would help in diagnosing the issue.

Thanks in advance!

• Hi, I had a similar problem but solved it by having a common GND between rpi4 and PSU, I connected GND on rpi to GND on the PSU and the flickering was gone. B.T.W I have the rpi powered by a separate psu

//roamer

• and am getting a consistent 4.7 - 4.9

hi welcome,

Thats to low, under load the voltage should be NOT under 5 volts and/or 5 volts exact

when voltage is fluctuating ( in case off) and it can not hold a steady value of DC, then that's a clue maybe your PSU is not up for the task at hand to steer all the leds at maximum brightness. >> crank up the voltage with potentiometer

Even when voltage drops only 0.3 volts then fully current that the LEDs needs they can not use

and second:

for these leds you need AWG that's much thicker.

i would advice you to step up from 18 AWG to at least 12/14 because the possibillity is there that you have to much build up resistance in the wires and thus power drops significantly

• first measure how much current is flowing trough the strip
    • then connect more then 1 GND PIN to common ground on the Raspi
    • power the strip from both sides, beginning and end, 5 volts and GND
    • PSU you are using is not that thrustable, level up to a Meanwell LRS-300-5 series or something would be my advice :)

then test again

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!