Hyperion NG - Video lag/stuttering when DispmanX enabled (Pi 2)

• Just feeding back here that I still get stuttering of video with these settings on 2.0.14.

Stuttering:

• Device resolution: 1920x1080
    • Capture frequency 10
    • Picture decimation: 30

Not Stuttering:

• Width: 64 (edited in JSON export before import)
    • Height: 64 (edited in JSON export before import)
    • Capture frequency 10
    • Picture decimation: 8

So if I manually change the width and height to 64 in the JSON export before re-importing it, the stutter goes away. It appears that both width and height must be the same value to avoid the stutter which is why having width and height available to edit would be useful for me at least, perhaps as an advanced option.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Sorry, just checking ... this occurred only since 2.0.14 or even before?

Edit: And would you mind sharing a full debug log from start, please?

Edit2: I have an idea, what the problem might be...but that would require that I "reactivate" the old rpi for development and testing....

• Any updates on this? I'm wondering if this is the same performance issue I'm experiencing on a RPi3B. System load is very low, but no matter what picture decimation and update frequency settings are being used I get severe stuttering as soon as the grabber is enabled.

EDIT: Tried the trick of editing the exported JSON with very good results, but leaving me a bit confused.

Using 1920x1080 with 8 picture decimation gave me about 40 dropped frames in a 30s 50Mbps test clip, while using an edited JSON with 240x135 and no decimation (1) resulted in 0 dropped frames and butter smooth playback. The latter also seemed to incur less system load, even if both are low.

Shouldn't these two result in the same capture resolution?

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von osen () aus folgendem Grund: Merged a post created by osen into this post.

• switch to expert settings and try diffrent encoding format

Sorry, can you clarify what you mean? What encoding format? I have expert settings enabled in Hyperion.

I also realized I misunderstood the playback stats in Kodi; it's not dropped frames but missed vblank updates in the first scenario.

• I have now watched a couple of hours of material that was very problematic before and the stuttering seems to be completely gone with the trick above. Everything is butter smooth with zero missed vblank updates using 235x180 capture resolution and no decimation. I cannot tell any difference in the backlight granularity or fidelity.

I played around a bit more with the decimation setting for 1920x1080 and I find it a bit odd that there seems to be no performance (or visible) difference between 1 and 30. Maybe the decimation setting is bugged and isn't applied, and that could cause these performance issues ...? Just an amateurs' guess.

• Last update: I've been using the system for daily media consumption for almost a week now and the issue seems to completely resolved by using this workaround. Not a single stutter, flash or similar. Butter smooth so I'm very happy with it.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!