HyperBian alpha 10 WS2813 not working

• Alpha 7, 8 and 9 all used to work fine, but after switching to a fresh install of alpha 10 it seems impossible to get the LEDs working.

Think I've tried every single forum solution given:

- running as root (`sudo systemctl disable --now hyperiond@pi` | `sudo systemctl enable --now hyperiond@root` | `sudo reboot now`)

- changing config.txt file audio=on to off

- sudo apt-get update

- install all kinds of libraries, also looked like the rpi_ws281x library was fixed

- create hyperion.service file and run

Currently SSH shows the Hyperion status = Stopped, while the Web UI says all is running

Also the sudio hyperiond says the Hyperion Daemon is already running, but I'm not a terminal expert so don't know if this is the right service..

The video grabber (UT007) works, returns image when connected.

Live video works, Web UI seems correctly configured, power supply unit is working properly.

I've completely run out of ideas and cannot find any forum being able to help me further, so any advice/solution would be very much appreciated.

I would very much like to be able to install a HyperBian .img of alpha 8 or 9, but cannot find it anywhere. Only the .tar or .deb versions, but think that is only possible to install through RaspBian?

Thank you very much for a reaction.

• Zur hilfreichsten Antwort springen
  • to my knowledge Hyperbian always carries the newest distro, older ones like Hyperion 8/9 i don't know if you have that distro online to download.

The TAR and DEB files are exactly that purpose; to run on a "empty" distro like Debian buster full/lite or other distro's like Raspbian.

there is a whole topic to install those files and extract them..

about your problem, try this >>

sudo systemctl disable --now hyperion@pi

sudo systemctl enable --now hyperion@root

sudo reboot now

it seems your PWM is still not enabled and audio service stil uses that.

and while your at it, put the debug log here >> only possible when logged in as expert user >> webui: change user to expert on magic wand

• Hi Ambientheater77,

Thank you for a reaction.

Managed to install TAR/DEB on Raspbian distro, Web UI was configurable but couldn't find a way to use the SSH or direct terminal.

This didn't fix the issues though.

The sudo systemctl I already tried, but ran again at your request.
    The debug log I added as attachment.

Thank you for a reaction.

I'm definitely no expert at this, so any advice is more than welcome :)

• Hilfreichste Antwort

The sudo systemctl I already tried, but ran again at your request.

if you look closely its minus the D in hyperion(d) for some kind of reason i don't know, one or the other works in codeline.

2021-09-01T09:02:39.119Z [hyperiond LEDDEVICE] (INFO) Start LedDevice 'ws281x'.

looks like the ws281x ledcontroller on PWM is running> no faults in the code :huh:

2021-09-01T09:02:39.142Z [hyperiond EFFECTENGINE] (INFO) Run effect "Rainbow swirl fast" on channel 1

2021-09-01T09:02:39.199Z [hyperiond EFFECTENGINE] (DEBUG) (EffectEngine.cpp:181:runEffectScript()) Start the effect: name [Rainbow swirl fast], smoothCfg [2]

do you see the startup effect when Hyperion boots or nothing? :thumbdown::thumbup:

cabn you turn off the smoothing effect? before there was problems with this setting, just to rule it out

after this

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get update

and update the libraries again :)

what kind of ledstrip are you running? you can also use SPI controller on GPIO10 ( hardwarepin 19) to test

don't forget to program the setting then at leddevice on WEbUI Hyperion software

• Thanks for replying again :)

Yeah I used the systemctl hyperion minus the d, copy pasted it off the forum.

Luckily the terminal can't even find the hyperion(d) service, so seems impossible to do it wrong.

I use these LED strips:

https://nl.aliexpress.com/item…042311.0.0.27424c4deCTfnc

Just ran the LEDs on GPIO 10 and it works!!

There is some flickering though, no voltage flickering but lights just switching color and back.

Do you know what is causing this?

Thanks a lot already for helping!

• hey guys, I noticed this as well, I found that if you turn off led output on/off in the dashboard of Hyperion, then the lights connect to the grabber to see the lights. this is the only thing I found with Alpha 10, that gives me a little of a problem when turning on.

• Yeah I'm Dutch indeed, don't mind opening a thread in English though cause in general you'll get a bit more response :)

Would be great to look at the Dutch forum also.

This is my GPIO (Rpi 3) layout:

- 2x 5v pin from which only 1 is connected to external 20A 5V PSU

- 2x GND pin where 1 is grounded to PSU V- and other to pin 14 (GND) RPi 3

- DO/DI pin now on GPIO 10 in stead of GPIO 18

- BO/BI pin on GPIO 23

Found the issue, it's the video grabber that is tripping.

Not so weird, considering it was bought at Uncle Ali's..

Is there a command to turn off the LEDs after using them? Right now I have to power down the PSU to turn off the lights.

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Chris021 () aus folgendem Grund: Merged a post created by Chris021 into this post.

• Is there a command to turn off the LEDs after using them?

You can do that in WebUI > toggle off the leddevice with button in main menu.

What you also can do, install Raspberry SSH lite. and connect to Hyperion.NG SSH server to deploy commands as shown

• that's why i installed a relay between the psu and ledstrip on the 5 volts.

One click on the button and pitch black.

You can also do that with scripts and software but this was much easier for me, so was going with this.

What you have is the psu power that holds the last colours in the ledchips even when there is no data signal :)

• Yeah makes sense, I'll try that as well thanks!

Do get an issue right now when running colors/effects, that they only lasts for about 1-2 seconds before returning to the default led setting. Do you know what might be causing that?

Thanks for the reaction again :)

• you can increase the time the effects are running, I think standard it's only for 3 seconds. Time is in milliseconds

BO/BI pin on GPIO 23

This BI you have to connect to GND, otherwise it will "float"

BI is for backup dataline, only used when first DI is out.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Ambientheater77 () aus folgendem Grund: Merged a post created by Lighting-guy77 into this post.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!