Is 300 LEDS on 10 Amps ok by lowering brightness

• Hi I'm pretty new to LED lights and I just wanted to get some confirmation I'm not going to start a fire. I'm trying to set this up using the recommended method online of powering the led lights with spliced micro usb cable and the led lights to the same power adaptor. If I have a 5V 5m strip of 300 lights (60/meter) Hyperion tells me this needs 19..8 Amps. From my understanding this would only draw that much current if all the lights were on full brightness white.

My power supply is currently 5V 10amps 50W, Since the Pi 0W is plugged in to the same supply and maybe draws ~1 Amp. If I tell Hyperion to set the brightness to 40% does this seem like it will be ok (since .4 * 19.8 = 7.9). And I assume this brightness cap will apply to the video capture feed and the raw effects as well?

By this logic If I end up buy a slightly higher wattage power supply (75W) then I could up the brightness to around 60% right? Is this ok or should I stick with a 30LEDs/meter strip? Thanks for any advice.

• i am using this calculation, because i didn't experience 5050 leds drawing more current than 18miliamps or 45Miliamps each at full brightness.

my setup is only 130leds on APA102 ledstrip and at full brightness only consumes minus the Raspi 3.5 Amps.

300x 0.045 (45 Miliamps) = 13,5 Amps in full brightness

hyperion measures the 60Miliamps per Led.

300x 0.060 = 18 amps

10 Amps/50 Watts is a little short for 300 Leds and to power a Raspi.

i would cranck it up to at least 75 Watts/15Amps PSU.

Brightness setting is only led output.

seek for the Meanwell LRS-75-5 types would be my advice :)

tip2 would be: use fuses in your build, so you can not fry your ledstrip and devices if they can draw to much current.

• Ok so you think a 15amp power supply should be enough to run the 300 leds & pi without any modifications to the brightness?

the thing is the PSU itself also uses somee energy to convert the AC to DC and rectify it, so it can only output 14Amps at the most.

So for the safe side go for a LRS-100-5 and you are golden

I'm trying to set this up using the recommended method online of powering the led lights with spliced micro usb cable and the led lights to the same power adaptor. If I have a 5V 5m strip of 300 lights (60/meter)

you can also directly solder onto te pads.

60leds/mtr is okay for a big tv like that, i have the 30Leds/mtr APA102 but i am going to upgrade to, the lights is just enough at full brightness. (see the video!)

the problem is that with 30leds strip you have to be very accurat with programming the leds into Hyperion, they will "jump" one led easily which makes the live feed not 100% steering the leds exactly like the live feed. If you get my drift.

60Leds/mtr is way easier to program. >. Leds is close together sso easy to "shift" a Led or 2

goodluck!

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Ambientheater77 () aus folgendem Grund: Merged a post created by Lightning-guy77 into this post.

• 5V 8A is being used for ws2812b 300led (1m/60).
    Power is connected from the beginning to the end.

Mainly, the brightness is set at 60% to watch at night, and PI4 and esp8266 use separate power sources.
    It has been in use since April, but it still works fine without any problems.

• I'm trying to set this up using the recommended method online of powering the led lights with spliced micro usb cable and the led lights to the same power adaptor.

for the ledstrip you can't use USB power, but you need a PSU that's powerfull enough.

USB power is only meant to power a device but not (led)lights, the power is not steady and will fluctuate to high or low because it can't produce enough current . .

if you want to test a single led with USB power its fine, but a whole strand of leds you have to power with a PSU.

for calculations see my before post.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!