Hdmi Splitter or Video Capture with loop?

• Hey Guys, I finally got my LED strip to answer the effects loader on Hyperion Website. I am using a Rpi Zero W with 5V 20 A Power Source and Ws812b Ledstrip with 300 LEDs. So it was time to connect to the TV. Using Hyperbian Alpha 10

I know most of you use a video capture device with loop. I did not want to spend more money and I had a spare HDMI splitter. I tried connecting it with my BTV device, which is a Android 9 Operating System with Apps like Netflix, TV, Movies, etc.. (similar to a fire TV stick) but the led did not light up with the images, I tried activating screen capture USB ( no device connected) and the other option of capturing device with those 2 options, but still did not work.

Is a video Capture with loop a must? Or is the HDMI splitter should work and maybe I am doing something wrong? Is there a specific device that might not work with the Hyperion System?

thanks!

• i know most of you use a video capture device with loop. I did not want to spend more money and I had a spare HDMI splitter

USB capturing device with loop from ( RULZ) works because you save a splitter, they only cost like 10-15$

Spare HDMI splitter? it should be capable of HDCP, thats a safety copy protect protocol signal over HDMI, devices that are not equiped by this protocol and have not the feature of HDCP can not transmit/split DRM protected signals.

most time that is the cause of using cheap devices and splitters.

first investigate.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Ambientheater77 () aus folgendem Grund: Merged a post created by Lightning-guy77 into this post.

• The question is, how is the setup of your TV system? Full HD or 4K? Dolby Vision? HDR 10?

In the most cases, a good HDMI splitter that pass through the EDID data from the TV, with an extra video capture card is

the better choice. The cheap china crackers (Video Capture with Loop) can't do that. By the way, ARC and CEC are also not supported.

Grüße aus Österreich / Greetings from Austria !

- Don't wanna miss it anymore !

• I am very noob in those video specs matters, thanks for the patience first in explaining.

Lightining Guy How do I check those specs of HDCP of my splitter? Its a 1080p Full HD, that's all I know by heart. I will check the thread you post it as well.

Mike 72:

Whats an ARC, CEC system and how do I know if mine is that? My TV Setup is the following:

Samsung Smart TV Crystal UHD TU8000 65" 4K

Also, how do I tag your names in here for Replies?

• Whats an ARC, CEC system and how do I know if mine is that?

ARC = Audio Return Channel, that means if you own an AVR, the Audio goes from the TV to the AVR for your speakers.

CEC = Consumer Electronics Control, you can steering with the TV remote control the AVR or other devices.

For tag use for example Mike72

• Lightining Guy How do I check those specs of HDCP of my splitter? Its a 1080p Full HD, that's all I know by heart.

Check it online, specs of the splitter and type. If HDCP is in hardware then it will be there in specs.

but the led did not light up with the images, I tried activating screen capture USB ( no device connected) and the other option of capturing device with those 2 options, but still did not work.

try to first detach your USB grabber and restart you PI/Hyperion.

then with fully booted PI connect the USB grabber, select then in menu and activate.

( its possible that you have to do this procedure a couple times before the USB grabber will be visible in the Hyperion menu list)

in terminal you can see this.

lsusb

dmesg

then if visible, select and save > now your leds must fire, if any another setting is correctly made.

• Mike72 Thanks!

Ambientheater77

Sorry it took me a while to get time to go back to the project.

So I have tried those things you guys said. On Terminal it appears like this:

[ 180.698980] usb 1-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3

[ 180.698998] usb 1-1: Product: AFTMM

[ 180.699011] usb 1-1: Manufacturer: Amazon

[ 180.699025] usb 1-1: SerialNumber: G070VM1601170V90

[ 199.799100] usb 1-1: USB disconnect, device number 11

So I can imagine that it does recognize my device from the splitter, but still wont light up. Status is saying stopped, not sure if its something to do with it:

This is the Hyperion page:

My connections Are:

Fire TV Stick to HDMI Input

-HDMI OUTPUT 1 to Samsung Smart TV Crystal UHD TU8000 65" 4K

-HDMI OUTPUT 2 to Rpi Zero W

Raspberry Port 18 Connecter to WS2812b Led Light and to Power Supply

Led Light Connected to Power Supply

All Lights works perfectly when the effect is loaded on the Hyperion Site

This is the Splitter Used

• Zitat

OUTPUT 2 to Rpi Zero W

You mean from HDMI Splitter 2 to the HDMI from the Pi Zero?

RPi‘s only gives a signal out, no input possible. You need a video capture device.

• I'll try it with the video capture, I need to buy it first.

Ill let you guys know if it works after

WIll that one 4k 60hz usb 3.0 works with it? Is the USB 2.0 4k 30fps sufficient?

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von hapo1313 () aus folgendem Grund: Merged a post created by hapo1313 into this post.

• Reduce the resolution in USB capture to 720x480 @ 30Hz. You can also decrease the size decimation to a lower value.

• you can use a DHCP address, so router gives IP adres.

Normally the router will remember the IP, if its not then you have your problem.

You can turn the DHCP address into static, by going mostly to LAN settings and see if the router recognizes the Raspi, then you can use the option to make it static by enabling the feature into the router.

Function with my Draytec router is called

Bind IP to MAC

( means MAC address is always receiving same IP!! :)

THIS is also the easiest way to achieve this. You can also alter the dhcpd.file in the Raspi's bootmenu but it's not recommended by me :)

DHCP stands for Dynamic Host Communication Protocol, so in fact the Dynamic part is already telling something how this protocol works.

• At Fritz!Box see Screenshot.

DHCP on, Always assign the same IPv4 address to this network device.

I use this setting for all of my network devices so that the same address is always available, even if you start up again.

regards pclin

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!