What happens during hardware downscaling from 4K to 1080p?

• Hey there,

currently I am using a RPI 4 for Ambilight and video playback, but I am too upset of the full 4K integration and the RPI 4 has not enough power for 4K playback and frame grabbing/calculation for round about 300LEDs

So I will go with the RPI 4 for playback and a 3b (non plus) for hyperion-ng. But I am a bit confused.

So I will go from the RPI3 HDMI 4K output to a HDMI 4K splitter, one into the TV, one into a HDMI to 3RCA adapter, from the 3RCA converter into the very common LogiLink 2.0 USB Video Grabber. So the 3RCA converter does only support 1080p. That’s of cause enough for Hyperion. Do you know how the signal gets usually gets adapted? Will it be downscaled which would be good or will the adapter just take the first 1920x1080 pixels and the project will fail because only the half of the picture will enter the Ambilight PI?

I want to try investigate in this probably existence issue before I buy the parts, or maybe just recommend me a setup for a 4K Ambilight System. Money shouldn’t be a problem here, i just want to enjoy 4K video with Ambilight

That’s the part I am referring in my question

Musou HDMI to 3RCA Composite CVBS Vedio Audio AVAdapter 1080P https://www.amazon.de/dp/B01AG…JJ91?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Best regard’s

Oerni :)

• Lord-Grey

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
  • I think your current setup RPi 4 as playback and frame grabber for your LEDs is Ok for 4K, or you have issue for this setup?

your proposed setup to use RPi 4 as playback and RPi 3 for Hyperion with that much conversion (Spiltter-HDMI-RCA-RCA-USB) is wasted and may have delay issue to the LEDs,

your question about signal conversion its should be downscale from 4K to 1080P and not appears half to the LEDs as your worries

• I think your current setup RPi 4 as playback and frame grabber for your LEDs is Ok for 4K, or you have issue for this setup?

your proposed setup to use RPi 4 as playback and RPi 3 for Hyperion with that much conversion (Spiltter-HDMI-RCA-RCA-USB) is wasted and may have delay issue to the LEDs,

your question about signal conversion its should be downscale from 4K to 1080P and not appears half to the LEDs as your worries

Hey,

No 4K does not work at all. I can’t playback any 4K videos, the video signal break up, Audio is still playing, at some thing the pi crashes. Also 4K frame grabbing does not work with hyperion or Hyperion-ng.

I also can’t playback Full HD videos in Blu-ray quality. It’s too much Bitrate for the Pi4 if the pi needs also to do the frame grabbing.

Since 2 years I am running my pi4 just in FHD because this is not working.

• Hey,

no. I can’t use the RPI4 for 4K playback and framegrabbing at all. Okay I did not retry within 4 months. Or were there big changes?

My RPI 4 lost the video signal during 4K playback with framegrabbing enabled, even full HD very high Bitrate playback caused the issue.

I tried hyperion classic and Hyperion-NG, but both didn’t work. :/ there for I need a solution for 4K. My problem is, the RP3b+ who should control the LEDs will be underpowered for 4K framegrabbing only - i can’t imagine this will work on full 4K, so i need to lower the resolution

• haven't try yet, I don't know if RPi 4 can't support 4K video but in the spec its even support dual output 4K monitor, maybe your video player on RPi 4 take a lot usage on CPU or memorry of RPi that make it under perform,

and for your alternative setup to make it clear you don't really need 4K output for your RPi 3 since its just handle a little amount of LEDs, you can rescale to lowest res on USB capture option, so you won't be confused with that high 4K res, but of course you still need splitter or usb capture with loop that support 4K60Hz output since it will connect to your 4K monitor

• to clarify, Hyperion doesn't need to have a HDMI signal with 4K to produce nice colours to the ledstrip.

Quality of colours on ledstrip is depending of,

• Good quality CPU, powerful
    • Good ledstrip types, not clones
    • Good connections, no resistance on wire joints
    • Gauge wires is thick enough for current.
    • Power ledstrip from BOTH sides if possible in your setup
    • Solder the wires to the PINS
    • USE more common GND in your setup.

Then if you altered the Json file on WebUI with settings of 2.4 at Gamma section, then you have a base.

When using 4K signal, you can convert it to 1080P or even 720P and use a USB capturing device. Most capturing device can not handle more then 720P.

Even if they can then your PI or/and Hyperion cant cope with to high video and render this signals.

I have a analoque signal into Hyperion and its great.

For downscale 4K you need a good splitter and after that use a capturing device.

Goodluck.

• Late answer I know. Week was very stressful. So maybe I get into this.

I think the system doesn't like double posts from the same user in a row.

I have unlocked them once again. ;)

Hmm I am sure that I wrote the answer and even the first answer was deleted within a second. But thanks a lot.

That’s an good hint with the resolution handle of the capture cards, so downscaling won’t be a problem. Do you go from your playback device into a splitter, into a analogue adapter into a usb capture card into the Hyperion Raspberry? Would you be so kind to share your hardware? It sounds like the parts I need.

Best regards

• Paulchen-Panther

it happens again. Immediately deleted post.

I ran into a question, if I remember it correctly, you wrote the initial Hyperion NG installation script for libreelec, for an easier setup.

Has anyone tested yet the Hyperion-NG performance of a libreelec system vs. Raspian or any docker container for a raspberry?

• Just my 0.02 here... I might suggest getting a dedicated capture device and get rid of the 3RCA device as said above.. With HDMI and with 4K, there is a thing called EDID, this reports back to the device saying what they MAX it will support, lowest always wins here.

EDID is a HDMI standard, it talks to the device and asks, WHAT DO YOU SUPPORT ? And the TV/display device (your capture device), will report 1080p (lowest always wins), even though one part will support 4K. Your 4K tv will display it at 1080p because your capture device will only support up to 1080p.

When you connect a few things to process video, you possibly add lag, a slight delay to the LEDs when the video shows on the screen.

I went on amazon, looked for a 4K capture device, found one for like $40, it worked perfectly and it's what I am using. This capture device will capture @ 4K @ 60 but, will only output 1080P, this will help you.

I ran into this problem, my Xbox Series X was only playing at 1080p because of my capture device, upgraded to one that will do up to 4K @ 60hz, all is happy...

• Would you be so kind to share your hardware?

i am running a Nvidia Shield pro, signal goes to Xolorspace 4K splitter, then output 1 goes to TV.

from output 2 goes into Rullz 2,0 loop splitter > USB out goes to USB port Raspi 3b.

hyperion settings to 720P , decimation 2. FPS 20 , encoding YUYV

usb 2.0 LOOP version >> not the one with audio jack, you get problems with HDMI audio to TV!

https://nl.aliexpress.com/item…042311.0.0.3b9f4c4dmD2eQ6

really nice, supports CEC even when its not mentioned in specs

https://xolorspace.com/collect…th-downscaler-4k-to-1080p

runs like a dream.

• Hey, thanks for all the answers.

I cancel my project. As my raspberrys both got killed by hyperion / strange problems because of 221 LEDs just 7 of them react to hyperionNG, i can't afford to pay the same amount of round about 200-400€ for just a little bit ambilight... I don't understand it. I moved to another flat with my tv, build everything up - everything worked. But because hyperion was running on my RPI4 i never used them in 7 months. So i decided to go with an external grabber to support DVD player and standby backlight for any situations. Bought another raspberry, splitter, grabber etc... And doom - everything destroyed, LEDs not working anymore, Raspberrys not booting up, spare raspberry also after connection to the hyperion - but why. It worked before and literally nothing changed...

Screw this project... I can burn my money in better places.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!