Difference between reset time and latch time

• Offizieller Beitrag

Latch time

Latch time is the time-frame a device requires until the next update can be processed.
    During that time-frame any updates done via ignored.

Refresh Time

Refresh time aka Rewrite time is the time frame a devices requires to be refreshed, if no updated happened in the meantime.

Both parameters do justice to what an individual device or LED-strip requires.
    The datasheets in general will provide you, if and what timings are required.

Often users think that lower numbers of latch time or higher number in baud rate are better, ignoring the specific needs of a device's specification and then wondering why they see unexpected behaviour.
    Therefore, familiarize yourself with the specifics of a device and then apply those parameters.
    Often the defaults are already good enough.

• Hi Lord-Grey,

erstmal Danke für deine Erklärung.

Leider verstehe ich das immer noch nicht ganz.

Zitat

time-frame a device requires until the next update can be processed

time frame a devices requires to be refreshed

Ist für mich irgendwie das gleiche :/

Konkretes Beispiel WS2812b, aus dem Datenblatt:

Nutze ich 2 Leds sind das:

minimum (TH+TL-0,6µs) pro Bit x 24bit pro Led x 2 Leds + 50µs Reset = 81,2µs

Das wäre dann also die Latch Zeit, oder?

Gruß

Marxon

• Offizieller Beitrag

Marxon

Yes, you described the Latch Time scenario well.
    If you only have a small number of LEDs the processing time is anyway greater than the time the strip required doing the updates.
    But if you have many LEDs, latch time might get relevant.
    There are strips that work via a different protocol (e.g. AP102) which do not need any latch time at all.

Refresh/Rewrite time.

There are LED strips (maybe in the past...) which do not maintain one update over a longer period of time.

In that case you need to refresh the strip or in other words rewrite the latest update.

Refresh time does not kick-in, if you have a continuous stream of updates.

But in case you send only a single color effect or disable the device (which is sending one! update of black saving resources),
    some strips do not maintain the color after a while.
    Therefore, the hyperion device rewrite the latest update to help the strip maintaining a stable color.

If Refresh time is misleading and Rewrite Time is more intuitive, I am happy updating the naming in the UI....

• OK, now i got it.

"Rewrite Time" is really more intuitive, thats true.

But you lead me to a next question:

Due the latch time is specific for the type and amount of Leds,

then why can i change it? Doesn't Hyperion calculate the minimum latch time itself?

Increasing the latch time would maybe make sense to lower transmission errors.

• Offizieller Beitrag

then why can i change it? Doesn't Hyperion calculate the minimum latch time itself?

Hyperion cannot not see what you bought and have connected.... ;)
    There seems to be different strips out there with different datasheet specs, but same protocol. Therefore, you can overwrite it.

For the standard user those elements are not displayed.

PS: If you are aware of LED devices, where the config does not apply, please come back to me.
    Those values were just available for all devices in the past. Gradually, I remove where it does not make sense...

• Hyperion cannot not see what you bought and have connected.... ;)
    There seems to be different strips out there with different datasheet specs, but same protocol. Therefore, you can overwrite it.

A type-x led is a type-x therefore i select it in settings or not? ;)

But of course you are right, specs and setups vary, i also forgot that i enabled expert mode :saint:

Thank you for spending your time to give me support and the Hyperion Project in general! :thumbup:

Schönen Sonntag noch!

Marxon

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!