New to this - initial hardware and tips please

• Good day to all,

I am thinking of starting this project, I have watched many videos and tutorials and looking to do it like this and have comments from the professionals and those who have done it before me, please.

My set-up:

55" TV - connected to AMP via ARC

Shield Pro TV connected to AMP

I am thinking of using the Android Grabber to start off first installed on my Shield.

Add WS2812B LEDs and connect an ESP32 with the WLED firmware on it.

I am thinking of installing either Hyperion-ng or HyperHDR to my always-on Windows 10 PC.

Any tips or comments on the set-up above?

I understand that the Android grabber unable to work with Netflix only due to DRM restrictions.

My main use is YouTube - Plex - Spotify on my Shield.

Thank you in advance if starting this way is ok and if you have any recommendations.

Ben

• I understand that the Android grabber unable to work with Netflix only due to DRM restrictions.

Disney+ and Amazon also doesn't work;

i have this setup myself, Nvidia Shield PRO >> Android grabber works but quality is low, you can see that in live feed of Hyperion.

To start with its okay but if you want to have the full advantage of HYperion then i would recommend HDMI signal into HYperion.

you never get a better result than delivering a HDMI signal onto your USB port of the Raspi.

I also experimented with a camera that grabs the tv from a distance.

results is okay but not really the same as HDMI

this is from my own experience so maybe others have diffrent things to say :)

HyperHDR is from dev Awawa , you can't get feedback on this on Hyperion forum.

i never used it but its a fork of Hyperion, build to deal with the HDR colour tone mapping ,

u only have to deal with this when a HDMI HDR signal is delivered to Hyperion.NG trough USB port.

• Thank you for the reply.

Seems to get the full experience and your experience - going RPI may be the best option...

If I go that route - I guess I would use the ARC HDMI from the AMP to the Splitter and back out to the TV from the splitter?

Anyone has good recommendations good value for

4k splitter - Capture card and RPI please?

The main reason for going grabber and win10 was budget to be honest.. :)

• you never get a better result than delivering a HDMI signal onto your USB port of the Raspi.

Hi LightningGuy,

does this mean, HyperionNG on Windows is any different ... in terms of speed or color calibration?

Otherwise XS21 could use his existing home-PC and save some money, instead of buying a new Raspberry.

Thanks!

PS: The URL in your Avatar ("fieldengeneer") is false - its TLD seems to be missing ...

• PS: The URL in your Avatar ("fieldengeneer") is false - its TLD seems to be missing ...

i know its intentional

does this mean, HyperionNG on Windows is any different ... in terms of speed or color calibration?

i think its actually faster on a desktop pc.

bottleneck of running Hyperion on raspi is plural, because most Raspi's only powered with 5 volts ( or less) the CPU doesn't get all te power it needs, thus it runs but only on 600Mhz even when config.txt ARM file is set to much higher .

Raspi prefers to run on 5.3 volts but because most users only have 1 PSU and connected ledstrip to it then voltage can not be more than 5volts exact.

what i meant is; when u have to choose videocapture grabbing to hyperion.NG then you can do it in more then a few ways.

• HDMI route: the best because the signal comes straight of the source, hence... sometimes you can have trouble with HDCP/CEC/e-ARC

• Camera route: point a camera at the tv and use that for capturing. I tried that myself but results is never better ( in my case) then a average 6

• Forward route: use a source ( pc/desktop) and run Hyperion.NG on it, then capture video with internal/external grabber and forward this to your raspi that runs also Hyperion. >> did that also but you will have a delay in the image. also for some kind of reason with option "forwarding" ON, the leds will always ( no matter what setting you select) stay lit in dim setting 1% lights... which is not desired.

• internal grabber route directly from the source to Hyperion (on same device) which runs also the leds. It works but depends on how much recources your Raspi ( or other source like desktop PC ) needs.. For instance: with OSMC ( KODI + Hyperion) you always have to find the balance between rendering power and CPU power for hyperion to capture and steer the leds. Its a dance you can say.

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Ambientheater77 () aus folgendem Grund: Merged a post created by Lightning-guy77 into this post.

• Hi all and sorry for the late replies.

Thank you for all the heads up - I will try with what I have at the moment.

I have a PC - I have an ESP32 with WLED on it - I have an LED strip that I'll connect to the ESP.

Will start with Android grabber as most my watching is Plex and Youtube, Spotify too. that's is for 80% of watching.

I will start soon and let you know the results :)

• Hello all

Ive started setting this up and first impressions are great. Thanks for all the help above.

I have a question though.

I already managed to make it better playing with the Smoothing Effect Linear, but the lights change ever so slightly before whats on the TV.

Is there a setting to avoid this?

I found to fix the opposite scenario with delay, however, im getting too early.

Thanks

Ben

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!