Help! Led Layout Issues

• Hi, just finished setting up my first ambilight on my tv. Everything looks find and rgb byte order is correctly configured. However, the led layout mapping doesn’t seem to work correctly. Any ideas where I got it all wrong?

• Zur hilfreichsten Antwort springen
  • Lord-Grey

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
  • Hello fpaz ...

sadly, I cannot help you with your initial problem.

But out of curiosity I would like to ask ...

- in which region do you live?

- how many hours each day will you run your TV including your ambilight?

- what kind of TV modell do you own?

Thanks a lot!

• Hi Timmy, i’m from Australia. I have an hdmi 4x2 switch and will be using the ambi light on my apple tv and xbox one series x. Most of the time watching netflix and disney+. My current tv which hyperion is setup for is my Hisense 75”.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hi, just finished setting up my first ambilight on my tv. Everything looks find and rgb byte order is correctly configured. However, the led layout mapping doesn’t seem to work correctly. Any ideas where I got it all wrong?

The TV picture looks like that your first LED is more top left rather than bottom left (as in your layout).
    Check if your changing your input position moves the color areas...

• But out of curiosity I would like to ask ...

- in which region do you live?

- how many hours each day will you run your TV including your ambilight?

- what kind of TV modell do you own?

what has this to do with the malfunction/question of TP?

Hi, just finished setting up my first ambilight on my tv. Everything looks find and rgb byte order is correctly configured. However, the led layout mapping doesn’t seem to work correctly. Any ideas where I got it all wrong?

i have a tip, count your leds on the strip with your eyes >> you have the 30 or 60 leds a meter??.

i see that you are over the place with calculation / configured leds.

if the bottom top and sides are equal its not possible to have the ledcount that you have programmed.

that why your leds aren't alligned

it should be like ( if ledstrip is al around wrapped the TV)

top 85

bottom 85

left 45

right 45

startled has to be physically the same on the TV and in the Hyperion software led layout

see if you have have to invert the leds or not.

goodluck!

example of mine >> ledlayout

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Ambientheater77 () aus folgendem Grund: Merged a post created by Lightning-guy77 into this post.

• Thanks for pointing that out, I have 60/m and now adjusted the correct led count as I view the screen with the orientation. I think my mistake was I mounted the led first as I wanted a cleaner implementation with hidden wires on the leg of the tv.

The TV picture looks like that your first LED is more top left rather than bottom left (as in your layout).
    Check if your changing your input position moves the color areas...

I did try moving the starting point and it did shifted the colours but still not aligning.

Here is the result:

how many hours each day do you watch TV and keep your Ambilight-LEDs running?

with the ambi-light maybe around 1hr on weekdays and occasionally 3 hrs on the weekends.

• I think I figure it out. I was testing disabling some all the LEDs and turned only 1 and notice that it still lit 3 leds on the strip. So I divided the total number of LEDs by 3 and boom it just worked!. Dunno if its the software config or the ws2811 strips but i'm glad it worked.

Thanks for all your suggestions!

if yes,

divide the ledcount by 3, so 93 is 31, 57 is 19

Yes, I think we posted the reply at the same time! Thanks again!

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von fpaz () aus folgendem Grund: Merged a post created by fpaz into this post.

• its the hardware ledstrip causing this behaviour.

The LEDs are not al separate but aligned with groups of 3 within the strip, so even if you only fire 1 led with the Hyperion software then 3 will lit. 1 pixel is 3 leds. The live feed of the leds lit will be less smooth with the image on TV

You can see the difference when looking at "normal" 5volts ledstrips which only lit 1led at the time. 1 pixel is 1 led. The live feed of the leds and image on TV is the same ;)

• fpaz

When I first saw your configuration in post #1, I noticed you are running 300 LEDs at ~100 Watts:

P = U * V ...

5V * 19.8A = 99 Watts

Thats a lot of "juice" drawn here ...

In this model-to-model comparison, WS2811 turns out to be the second least efficient type of LED strip.
    But still the measurement suggests that 150 LEDs running all 3 RGB channels at 100% will draw only 20 Watts.

So in your case, with twice as many LEDs, only 40 Watts should be the maximum of drawn energy accordingly.

Maybe you want to cap the power consumption in Hyperion...

Decrease the Ampere in Hyperion until you notice a drop in luminosity.

Find your personal sweet spot here.

There is the chance to significantly lower power consumption and also to avoid potential trouble with builded up heat in the LEDs ...

Edit - See what long time board member pclin is reporting about his 300 LED setup:

Its a different strip model, but it also indicates that you may run your LEDs too hot ...

• Timmy

Hyperion.ng states its 19.8 amps.

In reality every ledstrip has his own characteristics, Hyperion.ng calculations is based on pixels x 60miliamps.

For instance with my ledstrip APA102 state to use for 130 pixels is more then 10 Amps.

In reality on voltage meter its maxed out at 3.5

So, you can't trust the calculations of Hyperion.ng of drawing power.

If the ledstrip is mounted OUTSIDE a box building up heat is no issue whatsoever.

They are not even warm after hours of use. Especially with his ledstrip which is 12 volts the amps will drop even more.

• Sorry, you dont get the point here:

In the setup of fpaz as it is now, LEDs are drawing as much power as they "want".

There is no set limit.

(At least, seen from what is shown here ...)

So possibly the LEDs take up more than 2 times as much as needed for enjoyable luminance.

Though you are right, the internal calculation of Hyperion is incorrect and not a measurment ... but thats not the topic:

I am pointing out, that there is no regulation or limit set in Hyperion ...
    And that the LEDs may be running by far too hot/intense ...

• Timmy sorry for you but i am getting the point here mate perfectly.

The leds will only draw current what they need not what PSU can deliver.

So maxed out is not the case, the only thing you can do in Hyperion.ng is setting brightness level to lower the current consumption which will dim the leds.

You are confusing TS with all kind of formula and stating ledstrip will be hot.

These kind of ledstrips arent even in the warm area.

If you are putting technical data and statements here make sure its correct.

My two cents. :/:thumbup:

• You are confusing TS with all kind of formula and stating ledstrip will be hot.

Whats your problem exactly?

1) I have shown measurements

2) I stated that power usage can be brought down significantly by setting a limit.

This must not neccessarily affect luminosity in a negative/unwanted way ...

Here I am refering to first hand experience by another user of this forum.

• I don't have a problem mate, let's leave it at that.

We started out at the wrong foot.

Maybe we are not on the same page, but the goal I always pursue is to make things transparent to users.

Not giving them all kinds of technical data they didn't ask for, which can only confuse them.

I work with the software and use this in combination with all kinds of hardware to my benefit, I am sure you can do all kinds of coding tweaks in the back of the software but that's not my field or goal. ;)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!