Set 'brightness level' of apa102 with api

• Hi,

I love the new feature at alpha 12 that it possible to set the global brightness level of the apa102.

I was wondering if it is possible to set the brightness level (value 0-31) of the apa102 with the api? If so, what command can I use for this?

Regards, Ted

• Offizieller Beitrag

I was wondering if it is possible to set the brightness level (value 0-31) of the apa102 with the api?

Currently not.
    The LED device configurations cannot be updated via the Open API currently.

The brightness with the LED Device is the max level of brightness for the APA102.

With the API you can change the brightness level hyperion applies when calculating the output.
    The device's brightness is an extra level on top...

• Thank you for the quick response.

By setting the max level brightness you will get less dimming steps (256), right?

For example, by putting the brightness on 50% will have only 128 steps to dim.

This is why I want set the brightness level dynamically of the apa102, so you keep the 256 dimming steps at all times.

Is this hard to create in the API? I'm willing to pay for it, if it helps. Or maybe I can help you with some frontend development?

• Offizieller Beitrag

So I guess you need to set the device to max brightness (31) and
    use the brightness setting capabilities offered via Hyperion's API already.

See https://docs.hyperion-project.…/Control.html#adjustments

Suggest you play around with the parameters and see, if it supports your use-case.

I'm willing to pay for it, if it helps.

The Hyperion development is done by the team in their free time (next to their day to day jobs).

Therefore money will close the resource gaps.

Nevertheless, donations and active coding contribution! (C++ backend or JS UI) are always appreciated and welcomed ;)

• Hi Lordgrey,

I did some testing and using the brightness with API already helps, only thing is I set the (apa102) brightness level to 5. Otherwise the leds are still too bright when I dim it to 1%. The only problem is that I cannot use the leds at full brightness anymore.

I know there are some LED controller that automatically set the APA102 'brightness level' to get a better dimming curve (12 bit instead of 8 bit).

For example:

input signaloutput signal
    100%brightness level: 31 + output level: 255
    50%brightness level: 16 + output level: 126
    1%brightness level: 1 + output level: 1

Is this interesting to implement? Thus you set the brigthness level to 'auto'.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!