SK6812 flashing once every 1-2 minutes

• Hi all,

I am hitting a brick wall with my DIY Hyperion project, sincerely hoping for any advice. I have tried to lay out my hardware inventory/setup in the most efficient way possible. I am looking for things I missed or what I can try next to fix my problem.

Problem:

LED strip will flash from off to on every 1-2 minutes. Sometimes the left half of the LED strip will flash, sometimes the whole thing will flash. Adjusting the baud rate effects the frequency, with the lowest frequency of flashing being achieved at a baud rate of 5600000

Hardware:

1x SK6812 16ft LED strip

1x RaspberryPi 4 (using GPIO10 + SPI enabled)

1x 5v 10a Power Supply (Grounded to Pi with GPIO3)

1x HDMI to USB capture card

Troubleshooting attempted:

- Ensured that a common ground exists between the Pi and the LED power supply (verified the flashing is much worse/different with the common ground removed)

- Tried a second 5v 10a Power Supply, same results

- Tested LED's without capture card, same results

- Tried powering the LED strip from both ends with 2x 5v 10a PSU's sharing a common ground, same results

- Added 470ohm resistor into data wire

- Added 1000uf capacitor to positive/ground connection from PSU

- Tested various baud rates in increments from 4000000 to 7000000

- Re-spliced/ran new data wire

- Disabled boblight/forwarder in Hyperion

- Tried with various response rate down to 50ms

Any suggestions/advice is sincerely appreciated. I am going to add a logic level converter to see if it changes anything, but I'm not optimistic. Outside of a faulty LED strip, I do not know what else could be wrong. I am nearly ready to give up on this project but would still be willing to try anything else if anyone has good ideas.

Thank you in advance!

• Zur hilfreichsten Antwort springen
  • Hi!

This is interesting behaviour.

Did you try to connect your strip to GPIO 18 and run it with WS2812X [PWM]?

Also would you be so kind and lead me how did you connect your strip to GPIO10? How to enable SPI?

How about the baudrate? I dont really get it how to make it work.

all the best!!

• Hilfreichste Antwort

In case anyone finds this thread, I have fixed the problem.

I believe the flashing is caused by serial interrupts to the SK6812. I tried incorporating a resistor and level shifter in the data wire, didn't matter. Hooked up a WS2812-B and ran it with PWM, worked fine but color accuracy on that strip is not great.

What DID finally work was getting an ESP32-S, loading WLED on it, then using that to drive the SK6812. My current config is the ESP-32 driving the SK6812 using a single 5V 10A psi, which is restricted to 8A in WLED. Since I'm only driving this at 60% brightness on 80% of a 16.4 ft LED strip, this is fine without any dropoff or flashing.

Hyperion on the raspberry pi is able to wirelessly sync with the ESP32 using the WLED controller setting and while there is slight lag (around 75ms) it's not very noticable and the color accuracy is a massive improvement.

This video covers pretty much everything and helped my get the ESP32 set up. From there it's just a matter of wiring it and configuration to Hyperion which was really easy with a couple google searches.

Hope this helps someone else! I was never able to get the SK6812 to work until incorporating WLED via an ESP32

Resolved

• Appear to have linked the wrong video by mistake. The actual video I meant to link was this one:

Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

I appear to have inadvertently linked a fight video from the Travis Scott concert...feel free to delete that link if you have the ability to do so. I no longer have the ability to edit that post.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!