TV Ambilight project, Slow video, choppy and low FPS on TV

• Good day,

I've built my ambilight project following this (TV AMbient light with Raspberry Pi and Hyperbion) instructions.

Once I finished assembling everything, nothing worked :D.

However, thanks to the information on this forum (special thanks to Lightning-guy77) I got the thing running.

Although running, sometimes the video starts being very very slow, not possible to watch TV like this. When this happens, NETFLIX for example won't even work.

"having trouble accessing titles right now".

I checked the live feed on the "LED Visualization" menu in the hyperion web access (@IP:8090) and the video captured is also slow in the live video.

I've tried most of the solutions present in this forum (maybe I've missed one?) But I'm fearing that it might be a hardware related problem???

My hardware is:

• Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W
    • WS2812B LED Strip
    • Power Supply Adapter DC5V 10A
    • Rullz (Aliexpress) 4K 60Hz HDMI Video Capture Card TV Loop 1080P (USB 2.0)

From the config side, I have

• config.txt:
      • arm_freq=750
      • turbo_??=1
      • max_usb_power=1
    • Hiperbion
      • Size decimation: 8
      • Device Resolution: 640x480 (minimum available)
      • FPS: 20 (lowering this value did not solve things)

Any help would be extremely welcomed. If there's any other thing I should share please let me know

Thank you very much in advance,

• Lord-Grey

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
  • TPmodding

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

NETFLIX for example won't even work.

"having trouble accessing titles right now".

this has nothing to do with hyperion itself....that is related to your hardware you use...google: hdcp

• Ask Rullz

Rullz (Aliexpress) 4K 60Hz HDMI Video Capture Card TV Loop 1080P (USB 2.0)

Capture Card with TV Loop often cause problems, especially the cheap ones.

regards pclin

Dreambox ONE / TWO

dreamOS OE2.6

Amlogic S922X - 53.000 DMIPS - 2 GB RAM - 16 GB Flash - Twin-DVB-S2X Tuner - HDR10 - HLG
    -
    AudioDSP: miniDSP 2x4HD - Amp: Pentagon - Lautsprecher ELAC / ARENDAL
    LG OLED65BX9LB (PicCap, hyperion.NG webOS)

FireTV 4K max

-
    hyperion (classic) & Plugin HyperionControl | hyperion-ng 2.0.16-beta.1 (dreamOS)
    Hyperion-ng (Debian bullseye)
    -
    6 x ESP32/Wemos D1 mini - WLED - SK6812 RGBW-NW 60 LEDs/m
    FeinTech VSP01201 - Grabber Macrosilicon

LG TV Hyperion webOS & PicCap

snoozer_likelinux_manvtkns.gif

Ambilight for ever

• Any help would be extremely welcomed. If there's any other thing I should share please let me know

When logged in as expert 》》 right top sprocket, you can alter at USB capturing device a lot of parameters.

What will help sometimes is changing the videostream format.

Also lower the FPS (15 Fps) and decrease the size decimation (between 4 and 12)

you can run the PI easily on Arm 900Mhz

But only when the PI runs on 5.3volts

(If not 5.3 volts its stuck on 600Mhz wether you change the config.txt doesnt matter then)

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Ambientheater77 () aus folgendem Grund: Merged a post created by Lightning-guy77 into this post.

• Rullz (Aliexpress) 4K 60Hz HDMI Video Capture Card TV Loop 1080P (USB 2.0)

Yes, this could easily be the case. It was quite cheap. What bothers me a bit is that sometimes work, sometimes doesn't. I will write them to ask. Anyone has a recommended video capture card that I could use as replacement in my current setup.

(If not 5.3 volts its stuck on 600Mhz wether you change the config.txt doesnt matter then)

This is quite interesting. I will test your other recomendations, and if all fails, I will try OC the PI card while supplying it with 5.3V.

If all fails, I will blame the video capture card.

Thank you for the useful answers!!

• You can continue to use the video capture card, The loop out is the problem.

You only need a FeinTech or ezcoo splitter or matrix with EDID settings and scaler (4K 60Hz, HDCP2,2, HDR)

If you need CEC, ARC read the descriptions.

regards pclin

Dreambox ONE / TWO

dreamOS OE2.6

Amlogic S922X - 53.000 DMIPS - 2 GB RAM - 16 GB Flash - Twin-DVB-S2X Tuner - HDR10 - HLG
    -

FireTV 4K max

-
    hyperion (classic) & Plugin HyperionControl | hyperion-ng 2.0.16-beta.1 (dreamOS)
    -

Ambilight for ever

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von pclin ()

• Thanks for the help pclin.

So if I understand correctly; I should use a splitter. One output of the splitter to the hdmi with loop (leaving the output unused), and the second output would go directly to the TV. Is this right?

If so, would this do the work?

Thank you very much!

What will help sometimes is changing the videostream format.

Also lower the FPS (15 Fps) and decrease the size decimation (between 4 and 12)

you can run the PI easily on Arm 900Mhz

But only when the PI runs on 5.3volts

None of this worked. I could increase a bit the voltage (although not to 5.3volts) and OC the Pi. There's a command to read how fast the CPU is running (live) and this value was 900'000'000 hz. so I recon the OC is working. Still the video lags a bit. Tried the other configs, also still lags :(

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Pretoriano () aus folgendem Grund: Merged a post created by Pretoriano into this post.

• forgot to mention that ARM setting and powerloss was important for the Pi3(b),

Sorry to hear that :)

I have a Rullz Coffee black loop device on USB2.0, maybe take a look at that,

Or,

Pi2 zero is single core, maybe runs to heavy on the CPU, load to high on it.

Goodluck!

• Ok, just bought a HDMI Splitter. If I only use 1 output of the splitter (directly to the TV), I can see with no problems. If I then connect the ambilight project on the 2nd output, video is choppy again. I don't understand why output 2 would affect output 1... shouldn't just the lights lag if the grabber isn't fast enough??!!

Also, could it be the TV box the problem? (the video signal comes from the providers TV Box).

Thanks for the continuos help.

Pi2 zero is single core

I have the Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W, which I think is quad-core: With a quad-core 64-bit ARM Cortex-A53 processor clocked at 1GHz and 512MB of SDRAM

• EDID Settings?

Copy Mode.

regards pclin

Dreambox ONE / TWO

dreamOS OE2.6

-

FireTV 4K max

-
    -

Ambilight for ever

• Without EDID Copy from the TV, the EDID data of both connected devices are used. Example: TV can 4K 60 Hz, the grabber only FullHD then only FullHD is output. If only one device can HDR, there will be no HDR.

Post #7

regards pclin

Dreambox ONE / TWO

dreamOS OE2.6

-

FireTV 4K max

-
    -

Ambilight for ever

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von pclin ()

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!