mixing HUE Lamps from different generations (1100lm + 806lm)

• Hi

i recently switched from my Yeelights to HUE Lamps (normal e27 bulbs color). Got a starter kit with three lamps (1100lm) and i love their integration and performance in hyperion --kudos to the team!

However i need one more lamp. I have the option to get an older one with 806lm relatively cheap. Is this advisable? Will the 806lm harmonize with the 1100lm? Or will the brightness/luminance/saturation be "uneven" between generations?

#

reply much appreciated.

cheers

• 806lm to 1100lm is already a big difference in brightness, luminance/saturation will probably also be different.

regards pclin

Dreambox ONE / TWO

dreamOS OE2.6

Amlogic S922X - 53.000 DMIPS - 2 GB RAM - 16 GB Flash - Twin-DVB-S2X Tuner - HDR10 - HLG
    -
    AudioDSP: miniDSP 2x4HD - Amp: Pentagon - Lautsprecher ELAC / ARENDAL
    LG OLED65BX9LB (PicCap, hyperion.NG webOS)

FireTV 4K max

-
    hyperion (classic) & Plugin HyperionControl | hyperion-ng 2.0.16-beta.1 (dreamOS)
    Hyperion-ng (Debian bullseye)
    -
    6 x ESP32/Wemos D1 mini - WLED - SK6812 RGBW-NW 60 LEDs/m
    FeinTech VSP01201 - Grabber Macrosilicon

LG TV Hyperion webOS & PicCap

snoozer_likelinux_manvtkns.gif

Ambilight for ever

• I am using the HuE1100 LM myself

You can make more instances and alter the brightness 🌞 for the 1100 LM in comparison with the 806 in full brightness

You will loose some brightness in total then, its on you if you want this.

But using the full colour GU10 1100 myself I would even out the type of lamps and not mixing different type of bulbs

But that's just me

• thanks for the replies guys!

i think i will give it a try and see.. the offer is just too good to pass :)

anyway my setup is two lights front left/right (1100lm) and two lights back/behind (1100lm + 800lm). Since i won't be looking at those directly anyway i guess a slight mismatch won't be much of a nuisance. will report

oh btw. HUE app says i should update firmware on my bulbs. Is that always advisable with Hue lamps? might seem like a stupid question but coming from the yeelights there were some firmware updates that broke more than they fixed (esp in regard to lan control / hypreion)

• , I have my HUE lamps now for 1 month and already had 2 updates on the HUB/bulbs.

It can't hurt so why not do it, especially for the new modern lights it's necessary to update your HUB, has to do with protocols and speed of signals probably 🤔

I think that Philips (where I work for often) doesn't do this without a reason.

And I think that Yeelight, with no offence ofcourse... is behind with the development as Philips is.

Philips has a gigantic development team making sure of that.

After 2 updates everything works fine. I would say smoother and faster. Response time ⏲️ of the lights.

HUE is not cheap but works without any hiccups 😀

You need the second generation HUB to make sure all your new lights work. ✨️

at Philips.myshop you can get a account and get products for less. I got mine for less then retail prices.

Philips had a discount stand at their premises and told me you can also open a account on myshop.nl

Maybe that's an idea, I didn't try it myself because I already had the lights for 50% off

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Ambientheater77 () aus folgendem Grund: Merged a post created by Lightning-guy77 into this post.

• thanks again for the reply; firmware update actually improved transitions a bit

i have a question though:

is there a way to change peak/maximum brightness of the lamps? according to the documentation there shuold be a setting for that but in my configuration i can only find brightness factor which doesn't help.

the issue is that with bright scenes on the TV the lamps light up too bright for my taste. Everything else (i.e. darker scenes) are just fine. This is why the "brightness factor" setting isnt really helpful for me , i'd just like to cap the maximum brightness

• Offizieller Beitrag

pho08 The max brightness is influenced by the brightness Factor:

color.bri = (qMin((double)1.0, _brightnessFactor * qMax((double)0, color.bri)));
    It ensures that brightness is not just capped, but it gives you a maximum range.
    e.g. BightnessFactor = 0.8 -> maxBrightness 80%

• ah hi lord grey! thanks for the reply and sorry for jumping the ship on the yeelights despite your stellar work -- they just kept crapping out of LAN control :(

okay thanks for the clarification. i figured it was a variable that all brightness values were multiplied by. played around with it a bit yesterday and i was under the impression that it also lowered the overall brightness in low-light scenes

• Offizieller Beitrag

There was a minimum and maximum with 2.0.12 before, but in the process of capability alignment, I removed those too. I can add those back, if there is a real benefit…

PS: No Problem on the Yeelight. I can follow the rationale. They are not really designed for this use case…

• i did some more testing over the last couple of days.

- i couldn't really get brightness factor to limit max. brightness w/o sacrificing overall brightness. So if it is not a huge hassle to reimplement max-brightness setting that'd be much appreciated. the brightness "stepping" (for the lack of a better word) also seems pretty extreme. What i mean is if you have a an averagely bright scene the lamps stay pretty dim, which i quite like. However if there is a cut to a bright scene the lamps will shoot up in brightness extremely for me which is somewhat uncomfortable on the eyes.

- my biggest concern though is the rapid transitions. this is not so much apparent when watching a movie but when playing a game you often have the situation where you turn the camera rapidly causing the lamps to almost flicker, trying to keep up w the changes in lighting/colors in the corners. With the yeelights you added some very helpful settings like 'transition time' , 'latch time' etc which helped preventing this rapid transitioning in certain scenarios. Unfortunately playing around with smoothing alone didn't solve this issue for me. Are there any settings akin to the aforementioned for the HUE lamps? Or would it at all be feasible to add similar settings to the ones described above fromm the yeelights to HUE?

• ...my god i think i figured it out with the transitions:

it is nothing to do with hyperion. when i play around with the hue app drag my finger over the color wheel in lower brightness areas i get the exact same "flickering" transitions.

but the best part: this is only with the (newer) 1100lm lamps (from 2020). I just got my 806lm lamp (2019) and low light transitions are absolutely smooth and there is no stuttering/flickering

what the hell philips? :(

• it gets even better: this "bug" with the 1100lm lamps only occurs for brightness values _below_ ~10% in the Hue App

increase the brightness to anything like 20% or above and the transitions are smooth as butter.

so i'd actually need a MINIMUM brightness setting too :D

• i have also something to say about this,

The Hyperion server is communicating with HUB, that HUB is also communicating with the HUE app.

You can see the colourbuttons within the app when Hyperion is running are going up and down.

this is the settings for the HUE in Hyperion, you can only set the highest factor for brightness

or you can set it here in diffrent instance:

thats the only way i found to set HUE brightness.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!