Need help tearing apart AmbiVision to (hopefully) run Hyperion instead

• Hi,

First off, very new, very first "DIY" project so expect every stupid question. Sick of the problems with AmbiVision in general and now that it's no longer under warranty, I decided to open the camera from the AmbiVision and realized it's just a orange pi zero with some other board that seems to rule the camera (picture below). I was wondering whether it would be possible to install Hyperion in the orange pi? I believe the orange pi is lacking an SD card so I wonder where the firmware might be running from? I'm willing to build a camera setup with Hyperion, I've seen pretty promising results in the forum, but I'm not sure Hyperion will be able to use this camera? I'm really lost here, hopefully somebody will be able to shed some light before I ruin my current system. If you need more picture let me know. Thanks in advanced.

• Welkome back ! So ambivision wasnt that great huh 8|8|:whistling:

First off, when I bought AmbiVision there wasn't the option of a camera setup with Hyperion. I'd still go AmbiVision or Govee 100 times vs hdmi route with Hyperion, no doubt, with Hyperion it's expensive and ugly. AmbiVision excels in some things, it's rubbish in some others... when it works I very much doubt a camera setup with hyperion will match the results, it may though. However, the device has too many problems and worst thing is, if you ask too much, support ends up ignoring you. So the thing's been unusable for maybe 2-3 months over the last year. When it works, I have to reset the system maybe an average of 3-4 times a month. The company is just a piece of shit and I'm positive that with Hyperion I'll have a much more reliable system. I'm sick of reseting and redoing the whole config time and time again... they didn't even make it easy to restore a config, you have to do everything manually.

In the end some guy around here was right, he said something like "with hyperion you needn't deal with companies which might be a roll of a dice", or something like that...

it's been bad but all in all I'm happy. I paid 150€ (they told me not to spread it online but yeah, squeeze them through e-mails and you can get a much better deal than the one they offer in their website) for an orange pi pus zero, a fisheye camera with mic and IR, power supplies, an RGBW ledstrip and beautiful casing I can repurpose for Hyperion. It's not that far from what Hyperion would've cost me if I bought everything new a year ago.

But yeah, I learnt it the hard way, I would never recommend AmbiVision as of today. Get the parts, learn, spend some time and go Hyperion. If you aren't that kind of guy, then Govee.

• The camera option with Hyperion was always there, only the way how you want the camera position to be that have to be pointed at the screen. Not how the ambi and govee systems do it by have it on the tv itself. I have Hyperion running in HDMI route which quality be always better than any camera route. The question is is it easier?? And I have to say no, but the results is worth it by a long shot. If there isnt a way to implement a SD Card then you cant run hyperion directly. Maybe you can use a second device like a pc

• I was misinformed:

it's not either laggy nor much more off than AmbiVision, several users have proved it in this thread during this last year.

If I hadn't been misinformed, I would've gone the Hyperion + camera setup to begin with. In fact, that thread arouse right 1 month after I purchased AmbiVision, which made me hate my purchase.

I have Hyperion running in HDMI route which quality be always better than any camera route. The question is is it easier?? And I have to say no, but the results is worth it by a long shot.

I just meant that between spending 600€ for the hdmi in Hyperion and spending 600€ for philips, I'd go philips. It's expensive and ugly. Hyperion isn't cheaper and it can get ugly easily from what I've seen in the pictures in this forum.

Yes, there's a SD card slot, not an SD card in though. I wonder where the AmbiVision's firmware might be running from? I've seen a guy installing hyperion in a orange pi using this though:

Anyways, I'm very excited I'll have hyperion running with AmbiVision's casing, I love it.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!