New WS2812B led strip does not light up at all

• Good morning! First off, thanks in advance if anyone is to reply here.

I am good with computers (7 years in IT), bad with wires (5 days experience now haha). I've got a new WS2812B led strip from Amazon but unlike He-man, I do not have the power. No errors in Hyperion, but I still don't have any light on the LEDs.

- Using 2022-05-24-HyperBian-lite.img

Connections:
    PC > Source port of: Gofanco Prophecy HDMI splitter (outputs to TV and) > 4k capture card > RPI > GPIO 18 > Data wire to LED strip.

LEDS:
    - WS2812B male end (data arrow towards Rpi) has a jumper wire in the middle (green data wire on 3 pin connector) that is connected to Rpi4 GPIO 18.
    - I have the red & white (power cables) from the LED strip male end (not on the 3 pin connector) spliced into a 5V 15A Power Supply Adapter. Red into positive, white into negative.

I've read through several forums I've done the dtparam=audio=off; and did enable Hyperion@root etc. I'm less confident in the wiring aspect than the software side, especially with no errors in the log.

T-shooting LEDS:
    In regards to troubleshooting the wiring, I've redone the splicing several times at this point. I've tried connecting the female side additional red/white power cables (not on the 3 pin connector) into the 5V power supply in addition to the front male end power cables (thinking it wasn't getting enough juice) but no luck.

On the female end of the LED strips, I've tried adding male 3pin connector; and then tried connecting to the Pi this way (thinking that maybe the data wire direction was wrong) but still no lights.

I've tried just explicitly using the male 3 pin connector cables: white/red cables directly into the 5V adapter (and green data wire to Rpi) but still no lights.

I've also tried changing out the little positive/negative connection piece for the 5V adapter (not the adapter itself) but still not even a blink

I've also tried eliminating the HDMI splitter altogether as I believe it should work with just the capture card as it does have its own output as well (https://www.amazon.ca/gp/produ…tle_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1) but still nothing.

I've tried re-imaging and re-configuring Hyperion several times too at this point.

Lastly, I've tried switching to a shittier capture card thinking maybe the Rpi was having a hard time with the previous even though it let me configure in Hyperion without issue; but this one did not work either (https://www.amazon.ca/gp/produ…tle_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

• WS2812B male end (data arrow towards

This should be in reverse.

Arrow should be AWAY from Raspi and Gpio's

arrow pointed 👉 to end of ledstrip

If possible: power from begin and end

So +5 volts ⚡️ begin and end

So GND begin and end.

Make common GND on 2 GND pins Raspi and GND/V- PSU and ledstrip GND when u use only one PSU for everything

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Ambientheater77 () aus folgendem Grund: Merged a post created by Lightning-guy77 into this post.

• Thanks for the reply!

I've confirmed I do have the data arrows pointing away from the Pi, as you suggested.

I did not however mention that I have a separate power adapter for the Pi.

As such, I just tried splicing the power/ground cables from the beginning, and the end, of the LED strips into the 5V power supply. Still nothing.

Could I be missing a jumper ground wire to the Pi still; even though I have the Pi using its own power supply?

EDIT: I've tried adding a jumper ground wire from the negative PSU, to Rpi ground pin, but still nothing. I'm out of ideas at this point. I do have a small Rpi fan that I connected to different Rpi pins, and the fan works (just to confirm Pi pins are working). So I'm starting to think the LED strips I received don't work.

• important: u have to use a common GND when using two separate PSU for ledstrip and Raspi

Power begin and end.

Check settings of ledcontroller

WS281X

PWM0

GPIO18

turn whites off. >> (V) deselect

If that doesn't work, try to skip first leds and start there with power and Dataline, maybe first o e is faulty >> they are daisy chained

especially with no errors in the log.

Look at remote section in Hyperion.NG, leddriver should run

Logs

Select Debug and reboot

After that go back to that section and copy paste Debuglog with pastebin into the forum

or you are having badluck and need a levelshifter to increase voltage on Dataline

What is WS2812b LED and how to use WS2812b LED
    WS2812 LED also called WS2812b LED, wiring diagram, programming with Adafruit, Arduino and Raspberry PI, products and applications.
    www.sdiplight.com

and last thing: make sure you are running under root. Raspi has to run root acces to be able to use PWM

use this code in terminal:

Code
    sudo updateHyperionUser -u root

last thing what comes to mind, besides the capturing is working/or not properly or turned off.

at least when everything connected well together and programmed, the start up effect should at least be working.

see>

if its not you can be sure: something is not correct or faulty in the hardware OR something happened in installation Hyperion image or corrupted installation.

some members have sometimes a hardtime to powerup PWM0 GPIO with any given ledstrip.

You can also use SPI on this ledstrip ( if its really impossible to run the ledstrip with PWM)

then select SPI ledcontroller

spidev0.0

GPIO10 ( hardware PIN 19)

baudrate 3000000 baud (default or higher)

dont forget ( most times its activated)

Code
    dtparam=spi=on 

goodluck!

6 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Ambientheater77 () aus folgendem Grund: Merged a post created by Lightning-guy77 into this post.

• Zitat

important: u have to use a common GND when using two separate PSU for ledstrip and Raspi

I believe I've done this with a jumper directly from the PSU negative port, to Rpi ground pin. In the negative PSU, I also had the two white ground wires from beginning and end of LED strip.

I've now tried adding another ground to the Rpi from both the white LED ground wires at the beginning, and end of strip, (so two jumper grounds into Rpi) but still no lights.

Confirmed running "sudo updateHyperionUser -u root" that root privilege is already applied.

Confirmed in LED controller settings that I did not have white disabled (but did not fix) and the rest are as you mentioned:
    WS281X

PWM0

GPIO18

• I believe I've done this with a jumper directly from the PSU negative port, to Rpi ground pin. In the negative PSU, I also had the two white ground wires from beginning and end of LED strip.

that's good, but> use at least two GND PIN of the Raspi, sometimes one GND PIN isn't enough

Ground at Raspberry Pi GPIO Pinout

solidious77

1. 2022-09-10T19:12:15.730Z [LEDDEVICE|First LED Hardware instance] (INFO) LedDevice 'ws281x' enabled

means everything is running like it should, i think ( believe) your problem lays in hardware.

It can be the ledstrip that's faulty or connections>> or you need a levelshifter to boost up your dataline from GPIO18

i have to say, most members don't need that shifter.

you can crank up the voltage to 5.3 volts on the Raspi and ledstrip. Sometimes thats just enough to get the stuff rollin..

Thanks again for the help by the way. I've certainly gotten myself in over my head

my first Hyperion experience took me almost a week to get running that was with the old Hypercon :)

no problem, i love to help ;)

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Ambientheater77 () aus folgendem Grund: Merged a post created by Lightning-guy77 into this post.

• that's good, but> use at least two GND PIN of the Raspi, sometimes one GND PIN isn't enough

I've done this now with 6 & 14 ground pins. Still nothing.

Zitat

means everything is running like it should, i think ( believe) your problem lays in hardware.

I did reach out to BTF support so we'll see where that goes haha. In the meantime I might search for a simpler adapter, if one exists, that might be easier to test/confirm with.

Zitat

my first Hyperion experience took me almost a week to get running that was with the old Hypercon

I had lightberry long ago and loved it, but it all went to shit when I moved and figured it was time to upgrade. Spent a lot of hours troubleshooting instead haha. At least I learned some things along the way.

Thanks again!

• try to run it on PWM1 >> GPIO13 PWM1 hardware PIN 33

Leaving the controller type as ws281x, I tried changing PWM channel = 1, and GPIO number = 19. I then changed the data wire to Pin 33 (GPIO 13 PWM1) but still no lights.

I then tried changing Hyperion settings GPIO number = 13 (instead of 19) but it still did not work haha

OR

GPIO19 PWM1 hardware PIN 35

I just tried this too -- pin 35 (GPIO 19), and set LED controller to GPIO number = 19 (and also flipped PWM to 0 & 1) but still just dead.

This makes me feel much more confident about it being the lights itself. I suppose it could be the Rpi but I doubt as that little fan works at least, and the OS is functioning great

• This makes me feel much more confident about it being the lights itself

it seems like it.

you have only 1 option left: run with SPI > but to be honest i don't think it would matter much.

before you send back the ledstrip you can try a levelshifter on SPI or PWM

PWM on 5V GPIO pin
    I have a 12V Noctua industrial fan (it's for a project, the amount of airflow is needed). The fan doesn't turn on by itself (with only 12V and GND connected),…
    raspberrypi.stackexchange.com

• Hey Ambientheater77 I just wanted to again thank you for all of the effort you put into my (and others) troubleshooting. That was a long rabbit hole to go through, but we did deduce it all correctly -- I've got a new led strip that is totally working.

I quickly tested before work this morning. I only connected power from the front of the strip so I did notice it flicker, but I'm hoping that when I also connect the back-side of the strip to the same power supply that it will fix the flicker.

Anyway - thanks again!

I hope you have an awesome Friday

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!