SK6812 Issues

• Hello,

Hope you're doing well! One of my long-time dreams are to have my own Ambilight system (without buying a Philips TV). This year, I'm diving down into electronics and it's super excited - but very confusing at times.

I am trying to set up my own Ambilight system for my LG CX. But it's just not working. I have also looked up some topics on this form regarding the SK6812. Unfortunately, I can't find the solution - I am possibility doing something wrong. So, I want to ask you guys if you could help me out with this one. Embrace the noobness :D

Hardware
    - Raspberry pi 4 - 2 GB RAM

- Sandisk Extreme 32 GB SD Card

- HyperHDR Version 18.0.0.0
    - 5 meter BTF-Lightning SK6812 RGBW LED Strip (Model: BTF-5V-060L-B) 60 leds per meter
    - Mean Well LRS-100-5 AC power supply brick - 18A 90W 5V/DC

Set up
    - My Raspberry pi is powered by it's own 5V official Raspberry power supply
    - Mean Well is powered by it's own 5V cable.

- My Mean Well powers the LED strip.
    - I've enabled the SPI interface
    - Cable connection is soldered but not final

- I haven't mounted the leds to the tv - I first want to make sure that they work

- LED hardware controller is SK6812spi

- Data is on GPIO 10

The issue

- Currently the biggest problem is that I have made the connection with the LEDS and they change lights. It only powers the first 28 LEDS and the colour switch is random. It doesn't seem that the data transfers correctly.

Controller settings

Hardware LED Count - 150
    RGB byte order - GBR

Refresh time - 10000 ms

SPI path /dev/spider0.0
    Baudrate - 6000000
    White LED algorithm - White off

I'm super annoyed because I have the feeling that I'm super close to get it done but something is just not working. Could it be the power source? Or are my settings very off?

• I see already what's the problem mate :)

your problem is hardware, you haven't connected the 2 PSU together and made a common ground.

connect the GND pin ( better is 2 of them) together and attach it to the V- terminal of the Meanwell PSU

goodluck!

to give you a idea how you also can do it >>> this setup is only 1 PSU

4 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Ambientheater77 () aus folgendem Grund: Merged a post created by Lightning-guy77 into this post.

• Hey Lightning.

Thank you so much for this - I got all the LEDs now running. I got the data on GPIO 10 and the GND between the Raspberry & Mean Well is on 6.

The only issues now is that my LEDS won't be controlled by HyperHDR. It lights up fully - but for example when I want to test the 'Night Rider' effect or others - it just won't register and doesn't do anything. Could this be because of an error with the data cable?

PS: Don't mind the cabels right now. It is just testing and when it works I am going to put the Mean Well in a small box and the cabels will be managed into one big cable for safety.

• Controller settings

Hardware LED Count - 150 >>> put to 300

RGB byte order - GBR

Refresh time - 10000 ms >>>> put to 1000

SPI path /dev/spider0.0

Baudrate - 6000000 >>>> put to 5900000

White LED algorithm - White off

then:

above 255 leds you have to extend the SPI bus,

you probably reached maximum of packets SPI can send,

you need to ad spidev.bufsiz=1024000 to cmdline.txt,

example:

Code

Code

Code
    dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=serial0,115200 console=tty1 root=PARTUUID=5728b712-02 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline fsck.repair=yes rootwait loglevel=3 consoleblank=0 plymouth.enable=0 spidev.bufsiz=1024000 

cmdline.txt is a file on the SD card, boot section > spacebar is needed at last line like example otherwise Raspi can not boot anymore

it have to be at the end of the line, then reboot

then check in terminal (SSH) if size has altered, therefor copy paste the big text..

pi@Hyperbian:~ $ cat /sys/module/spidev/parameters/bufsiz

result have to be 1024000 in next line after reboot

this should activate the SPI controller fully

• Offizieller Beitrag

With an LG TV you get the best results with PicCap and Hyperion App on the TV. You then only need an ESP (preferably an ESP32 with LAN), LED and power supply. WLED on ESP is optimal for SK6812 RGBW.

Common ground is then also required. ;)

regards pclin

Dreambox ONE / TWO

dreamOS OE2.6

Amlogic S922X - 53.000 DMIPS - 2 GB RAM - 16 GB Flash - Twin-DVB-S2X Tuner - HDR10 - HLG
    -
    AudioDSP: miniDSP 2x4HD - Amp: Pentagon - Lautsprecher ELAC / ARENDAL
    LG OLED65BX9LB (PicCap, hyperion.NG webOS)

FireTV 4K max

-
    hyperion (classic) & Plugin HyperionControl | hyperion-ng 2.0.16-beta.1 (dreamOS)
    Hyperion-ng (Debian bullseye)
    -
    6 x ESP32/Wemos D1 mini - WLED - SK6812 RGBW-NW 60 LEDs/m
    FeinTech VSP01201 - Grabber Macrosilicon

LG TV Hyperion webOS & PicCap

snoozer_likelinux_manvtkns.gif

Ambilight for ever

• Thanks again guys!

Sorry didn't include it before but I've already inserted the bufsize to 1024000. It's working but still doesn't register all the colours correctly. It doesn't do the effects correctly and the colouring is wrong.

Red = Blue and when I do pink it is blue. I am going to do all my wires correctly tomorrow to see if something went wrong there.

• It's working but still doesn't register all the colours correctly

strange, seems hardware to me

are you sure RGB (BGR) is set correctly? did you use the wizard for colours?

and did you power the ledstrip from both sides? > it means from beginning and end of ledstrip

connect:

GND to GND

+5volts to +5volts

Red = Blue and when I do pink it is blue.

i think RBG setting is off, use the wizard please :)

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Ambientheater77 () aus folgendem Grund: Merged a post created by Lightning-guy77 into this post.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!