LEDs flash randomly

• Hello,

I've build my own Ambylight for my LG TV using Hyperion, an ESP8266 and an Ws2812b LED stripe. It all worked well initially but then I did some recabling and hit issues after this. The LEDs are most of the time doing what they should but every couple of seconds the flash in bright colours, most of the time white, and then return back to normal. This is super annoying.

I first thought it's because of the network, as I've also introduced a new switch but this doesn't seem to be the case. 1. I've reverted the network changes and no change, 2. I've also noted that the LEDs flash when I'm not streaming anything from Hyperion but select just an effect in WLED. So it must be something hardware related.

Did anyone experience anything similiar and could solve it? I would be thankful for any advice!

One more thing that happened is that I've by accident switched 5V and GND when re-cabling. I've first thought I've damaged the ESP8266 doing so and replaced it... the problem is still there. Could the LED stripe get damaged by swapping 5V and GND and could this create the issues?

Looking forward to hear you replay.

Thanks,

Marc

• Hi WamboNo.5

Is the whole strip flashing, or only parts?

I had a similar issue on parts of the strip at one of my instances. I covered the blue LED on the ESP with a tape and I assume that the glue did hurt the board at a certain point. After replacing the ESP it worked as intended again.

I guess the cable length between the LEDs and the ESP is not too long...?

• Hi Bub4,

thanks a lot, this hint helped me to solve the issue. In the end it must have been the too long wires which causes my problems. I've used a single LED to boost the voltage as described in the FAQ you posted and everything works fine now, even with the cables being as long as before.

Thanks again! Now I can enjoy my Hyperion.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!