Maximum LED count

• Hallo,

today I have a simple question.

I am actually changing my LED-Hardware from WS2801 (too many failed of them) to SK6812RGBW with PWM control. This works with a short test strip.

In the Hyperion Web-Configuration -> LED Hardware -> LED-Configuration I find the entry Maximum LED count, default set to 256.

Is this an absolute maximum value or can I increase it (I've 264 LED's around my TV) to 264?

The frontend gives me the possibiliy but I am not sure what happens at the LED's and before I cut my LED strips I'd like to know it.

• Noone knows...?

so I decided to solder a bit with my LED stripes and to look what happens.

I did not find out any reaction if I changed the Maximum LED count value.

Even if I controlled all 300 LEDs of my bought SK6812RGBW and the value of Maximum LED count was lower (264) I could control all 300 LEDs.

Maybe someone can complete here and tells the function of Maximum LED count.

• Hi,

this value Maximum LED count appears only with the controller type ws281x (pwm section) of the web configuration, not if I select SK6812SPI controller type.

I can only imagine that it concerns the configuration of the pwm Hardware but I found not enough out about this.

• I can only imagine that it concerns the configuration of the pwm Hardware but I found not enough out about this.

i think also, i found this >> also running PWM

post 30, i think it has to do with the total leds the GPIO can reach, but i am not sure...

#post30

maybe if way more then you still need a levelshifter, i can not say because always run on SPI0 and never tried 3 line ledstrips but only run four line types.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Just looking at all the code, the 256 seems just to be a default value and not a maximum one. It should be the number of LEDs, if I am not mistaken. Why Hardware LED count is not used, might be because of legacy reasons.

If there are hard limits per device type, the UI would not allow to overwrite them.

Ambientheater77 The WLED limit of 490 does not apply anymore, if you select the DDP protocol.

• post 30, i think it has to do with the total leds the GPIO can reach, but i am not sure...

in this post you mentioned Sizo speaks about Hardware LED count, not Maximum LED count.

But this is only a theroretical question, because my setup works with the 164 LEDs, at least with the Web Configuration Remote Access and also from Hyperion at my smartphone, but not with the internal frame buffer.

But this is another problem and another Thread.

Why Hardware LED count is not used, might be because of legacy reasons.

Legacy reasons probably is a good hint.

I also asked myself, why asks the system for Hardware LED count when it claims a value that is the sum of the LEDs on the 4 sides I have to fill in at the LED layout? This better can be an information output than an input field.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von micha53 () aus folgendem Grund: Merged a post created by micha53 into this post.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I also asked myself, why asks the system for Hardware LED count when it claims a value that is the sum of the LEDs on the 4 sides I have to fill in at the LED layout? This better can be an information output than an input field.

The Hardware LED count should give what the LED device is capable of.

The Layout define how you use the provided hardware LEDs.

It is perfectly fine, if you define a layout for less than the number HW LEDs.

To have some device working, one needs to update all HW LEDs and fill the missing ones not provided in the Layout.

Your case is just a subset, of what is required out there…

Hoping that clarifies.

• ok, thanks for the time and knowledge you spent for my question!

I don't find a possibility to mark this thread as solved, maybe I am operationally blind or there really is no possibility for the thread opener...

In this case someone who has the possibility should mark it as solved.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!