SK6812 No response - Please help

• Hello and thanks in advance for any help you can provide! :)

I've just built a large setup for a projector screen and nothing seems to be working, I've attached a sketch of my hardware setup for reference.:

SK6812 RGBW LED - 60/m, total of 490 LEDs (158 each, top and bottom and 87 each left and right).

Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W

5V 60A Power Supply

I have installed Hyperbian (tried HyperHDR as well) but generally get no response from LEDs. Through tinkering I have managed to get all white LEDs, I've seen random colours throughout but the majority of the time nothing happens at all. I have tried using SPI via GPIO 10 as well as PWM through GPIO 18 (treating the SK6812 as WS2812b) but nothing seems to work and when I do get a reaction, it's not consistent. There was some flickering leading me to think the issue was related to grounding but all my connections are sound (testing continuity with multimeter), power throughout the strip is ~5.05V, so I don't think the issue is related to hardware.

I have have turned off audio in config.txt and enabled Hyperion to run as root for PWM as WS2812b, I have set the SPI buffer size to 1024, etc. and still no luck. I have built multiple previous setups using APA102 without issue but this time I'm at a loss - I appreciate any and all help to get this resolved and happy to provide to any additional info that's needed.

Thanks again!

• sk6812 need a levelshifter to boost digital signals from Raspi GPIO to the leds

They cost around 5 bucks on AliExpress

and have more common ground pins (GND) used on the Raspi, at least 2

€ 1,96 12%OFF | Tzt 10Pcs 4 Kanaals Iic I2C Logic Level Converter Bi-Directionele Module 5V Naar 3.3V

€ 1,96 12%OFF | Tzt 10Pcs 4 Kanaals Iic I2C Logic Level Converter Bi-Directionele Module 5V Naar 3.3V
    a.aliexpress.com

on SPI0, increase baudrate to 590000

• Thanks for the quick reply!

I originally used a level shifter (same as the one you linked) which also did not work, however I used only one ground pin from the Raspi. I will try again using two or more common grounds as you suggested.

in terms of baudrate, I had adjusted this in Hyperion but you specify on GPIO 10. Once you choose the SK6812spi controller does this automatically select GPIO 10? There seems to be no way to select GPIO like there is with the WS281x PWM controller for example. Is there another way to do this, like editing config.txt or something similar?

Thanks again!

• Once you choose the SK6812spi controller does this automatically select GPIO 10?

@ledhardware section, SPI0 pad is default GPIO10, you can select the SPIcontroller and automatically connects the SPI to GPIO10

if you activate SPI1 you can also choose from the list and use diffrent GPIO.

https://pinout.xyz/pinout/spi hardware PIN 38

add: dtoverlay=spi1-1cs to config.txt to activate

choose in list you see below

• I tried the level shifter again with two grounds but sadly nothing has changed, so I set up a small test. I flashed a fresh image of Hyperbian, set Hyperion to run at root, checked to make sure SPI was enabled and cut two small strips, 12 LEDs each of SK6812 and WS2812b, and connected them, in turn, directly to the pi.

I powered the pi via USB (5V @ 2.5A) and soldered short 24 AWG wires (5 CM) to each LED strip.

Using the WS2812b, I was immediately able to have the LEDs respond to Hyperion effects and an HDMI source via USB grabber. I took this to mean my hardware, software and power configurations were correct.

When I connected the SK6812 I still got no result, so I then added a level shifter wired as in the image below and was only able to have the first one or two LEDs flicker randomly. What's really odd is that without the level shifter, I measured just over 5v power along the LED strip, but after connecting the level shifter, I measured only few millivolts - I'm sure this is due to a silly mistake on my part but have you ever seen anything like this happen?

I really appreciate you taking the time to help me troubleshoot!

• RPI 5V+ on the stripes is wrong!

The power supply for the stripes is missing in the picture.

62 ohms between level shifter and stripe.

regards pclin

Dreambox ONE / TWO

dreamOS OE2.6

Amlogic S922X - 53.000 DMIPS - 2 GB RAM - 16 GB Flash - Twin-DVB-S2X Tuner - HDR10 - HLG
    -
    AudioDSP: miniDSP 2x4HD - Amp: Pentagon - Lautsprecher ELAC / ARENDAL
    LG OLED65BX9LB (PicCap, hyperion.NG webOS)

FireTV 4K max

-
    hyperion (classic) & Plugin HyperionControl | hyperion-ng 2.0.16-beta.1 (dreamOS)
    Hyperion-ng (Debian bullseye)
    -
    6 x ESP32/Wemos D1 mini - WLED - SK6812 RGBW-NW 60 LEDs/m
    FeinTech VSP01201 - Grabber Macrosilicon

LG TV Hyperion webOS & PicCap

snoozer_likelinux_manvtkns.gif

Ambilight for ever

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!