USB capture not working

• Hi, so there is some problem with my setup and I don’t know where. Here is my setup: WS2812B strip connected via GPIO to raspberry pi 3 b+, which connects to HDMI -> USB grabber (the little one, looking similar to the USB stick) (V4L2 or something when I look at sources in hyperion) and then the grabber is connected to the monitor via HDMI. Monitor is also conmected to the PC via DP. I was able to make everything running, except USB capture, which is displaying weird pattern when USB capture is active (see image)

And in the hyperion’s remote control menu I can tinker with “mapping type” and “video mode” and the colors adjust somewhat, it’s just not capturing the screen as I would wish. Can you please explain what’s wrong? Thanks

• Lord-Grey

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
  • Is the Live video in Hyperion OK?

Display Icon top right.

Zitat von Quen

grabber is connected to the monitor via HDMI

Does your monitor have an HDMI output?

The colors on the LEDs look like a test pattern from the grabber, which it delivers when there is no signal at the input.

regards pclin

Dreambox ONE / TWO

dreamOS OE2.6

Amlogic S922X - 53.000 DMIPS - 2 GB RAM - 16 GB Flash - Twin-DVB-S2X Tuner - HDR10 - HLG
    -
    AudioDSP: miniDSP 2x4HD - Amp: Pentagon - Lautsprecher ELAC / ARENDAL
    LG OLED65BX9LB (PicCap, hyperion.NG webOS)

FireTV 4K max

-
    hyperion (classic) & Plugin HyperionControl | hyperion-ng 2.0.16-beta.1 (dreamOS)
    Hyperion-ng (Debian bullseye)
    -
    6 x ESP32/Wemos D1 mini - WLED - SK6812 RGBW-NW 60 LEDs/m
    FeinTech VSP01201 - Grabber Macrosilicon

LG TV Hyperion webOS & PicCap

snoozer_likelinux_manvtkns.gif

Ambilight for ever

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von pclin ()

• This is it! I have only HDMI IN and thus only one way connection. But do you think I could hook up the grabber to USB C port that supports DP? It would go like this: USB C to HDMI adapter then HDMI cable to HDMI grabber which would be connected to the Raspberry Pi. Do you think it would work? Thanks

• The grabber and the TV both need the signal.

This works best with a splitter or a 2 output, e.g. on the AVR.

regards pclin

Dreambox ONE / TWO

dreamOS OE2.6

Amlogic S922X - 53.000 DMIPS - 2 GB RAM - 16 GB Flash - Twin-DVB-S2X Tuner - HDR10 - HLG
    -

FireTV 4K max

-
    hyperion (classic) & Plugin HyperionControl | hyperion-ng 2.0.16-beta.1 (dreamOS)
    -

Ambilight for ever

• The grabber and the TV both need the signal.

This works best with a splitter or a 2 output, e.g. on the AVR.

regards pclin

Yes, I now installed a splitter into the mix, but the signal is still not going thru and I know that it should work. Everything is wired correctly and the grabber is to my knowledge functional

• Under Capturing Hardware you activated USB capture and your grabber was recognized?

And then Sources Enable USB capture enabled?

regards pclin

Dreambox ONE / TWO

dreamOS OE2.6

-

FireTV 4K max

-
    -

Ambilight for ever

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von pclin ()

• Under Capturing Hardware you activated USB capture and your grabber was recognized?

And then Sources Enable USB capture enabled?

regards pclin

Yes and yes. And logs are clear. There is nothing that suggest this shouldn’t work. Also I have tried experimenting with signal detection and still nothing

• I know this problem, it comes because the stream can not come near the capture device.

Stream is not being received by capture device that's the rainbow effect.

Problem is not the PI or Hyperion.NG but has to do with splitting of HDMI signals.

If the splitter hasn't got receiver ends active then you have this.

I used a splitter/downscaler from Xolorspace and never a problem. It has build in HDCP 2.2

I think your problem lies in EDID, the screen or grabber are not asking (the right) signal from the source, so only one becomes active trough splitter and sends the "rainbow"

Yes, I now installed a splitter into the mix, but the signal is still not going thru and I know that it should work.

try to use only the MAiN HDMI port and use the splitter there.

Can u make a schematics of your build?

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Ambientheater77 () aus folgendem Grund: Merged a post created by Lightning-guy77 into this post.

• Schematics is in attachment. It might be a splitter problem, so I will try something else, but I am at odds to find what is the problem here. Thanks and sorry for a late response.

• Thanks, I have returned it, but I have one more question - how do I get to 60FPS with the hardware? Do I need the splitter and grabber both to support 60FPS to be able to achieve this? Or how does this work? And when I get splitter which is 60FPS, does that mean, that I am limited to 60 FPS on monitor as well? I have 75Hz monitor, so do I have to look at devices for 75Hz+ ? Thanks

• Is the LG in post #1 a PC monitor with 75 Hz?

Do you only run one PC?

Which OS?

regards pclin

Dreambox ONE / TWO

dreamOS OE2.6

-

FireTV 4K max

-
    -

Ambilight for ever

• Thanks, I have returned it, but I have one more question

Refreshrates like 50/60 Hz is something diffrent than FPS.

• FPS is frames per second in video transmitted trough HDMI/DVI or other, it has a maximum resolution pér frame

• refreshrate is coming from local Energy provider normally between 50 and 60 Hz. It means the power (230v ~) is switched high and low 50 or 60 times in a second, also called frequency

so the 2 go hand in hand but are not the same.

normally i would say that FPS should be lower than the maximum refreshrate of the monitor.

• If you use a 60 Hz splitter, only 60 Hz will appear on the display.

There are splitters that can do 4K 120 Hz, I can't tell you how it behaves at 75 Hz.

Hyperion can also be installed on the Windows PC, but I can't tell you whether that works with Win11, you just have to test it and report. The advantage would be that you continue to have 75 Hz with Ambilight on the display. And you don't need an RPI. Control the LED with an ESP with WLED software and you're done. Hyperion and possibly the grabber are enough for testing, if you then have a live image in Hyperion and on the display 75 Hz, you can then decide what is right for you.

regards pclin

Dreambox ONE / TWO

dreamOS OE2.6

-

FireTV 4K max

-
    -

Ambilight for ever

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!