RPi zero delay, Mango Pi alternative, WLED option

• This is kind of a few questions in one... so anyone who reads all of this, I owe you a beer.

I originally installed Hyperion Alpha years ago on a Pi Zero. It seemed to work pretty well and I didn't notice any lag between the display changing and the LED's changing. Or at least if there was, I was able to easily tweak it by reducing the capture resolution in hyperion so something REALLY low.

A little while ago I realized that I hadn't touched it in a while so I decided to update it. That was a bit of a mistake because that brought 2 problems. The first was that it wouldn't start automatically and the directly connected WS2812 LED's didn't work, which I fixed by creating the service and running it as root.

The second was that I now had a noticeable delay between the scene change and the LED color change. I went back to the same resolution setting but it's already set very low. So I've just been living with the delay.

I thought that maybe the problem was with the original Pi Zero being too slow to handle the image processing real time. I'd been wanting to upgrade to a Pi Zero 2 but obviously, supply is short.

I recently found a video showcasing the "Mango Pi MQ Quad" as a good alternative to the Pi Zero 2. It's the same form factor, has USB C instead of Micro USB, and actually has a faster processor and more RAM than the Zero 2. Plus it was only $38 from Aliexpress with a nice all-metal heat sync case.

Because it's not a true raspberry pi, HyperBian wouldn't boot at all on it. So I had to use the vendor provided Debian build, and just do the Hyperion install scripts for Debian.

It all worked GREAT, except I got a hardware error with the WS2812. After looking that up, I found that the library for WS2812 may not be compatible with 64bit OS's due to a bug. And it was suggested that I use WLED for my connection to the strip instead.

I do have a few extra NodeMCU ESP8266's from a different project (since they come in packs).

So my main question is that I COULD do this but I'm worried that WLED would introduce its own delay because of the latency of sending the color change via WIFI. And what if I have issues with my home wifi - could functionality be intermittent because of this? Is this a valid concern? Or is there a way to hardwire the Pi directly to the esp8266 to cut out wifi as a variable?

And just out of curiosity, had anyone else set this up on a MangoPi or some other hardware variant? Or have a fix for the 64bit OS ws2812 library problem?

Thanks to anyone who read all of that.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!