Does Hyperion works with multiple HUE Bridges and lots of HUE Bulbs?

• Hi,

I've never created anything with hyperion yet, but I am about to study the feasibility for a massive project (500 HUE Bulbs), basically I would like to create a massive mesh of HUE Bulbs on the ceiling to be used as with hyperion for an event, each bridge has an official max amount of 50 bulbs connected, I would like to use multiple bridge to create areas and simplify the setup.

So the question is, can multiple HUE Bridge be connected to the same instance of Hyperion? can Hyperion Consider those bridge as a single light so I can create strips of bulb that have the same color without mapping every light or vice versa?

Thank you for all your support

• Offizieller Beitrag

ICFF I would be really interested, if that works.

First decision would be, if you address the bulbs via the Entertainment Or http API.

The Entertainment API will be a low latency one, but it can address only 10 lights API v1 and 20 lights API v2 per Bridge. I do not think that you can address groups instead of lights.

For the http API you can address more lights, but they are updated in sequence, I.e. with 50 bulbs there will be a reasonable delay between the first and fifties bulb.

As the previous post outlines, one Hyperion led instance can only drive one Hue Bridge.

Eden60 Have you done a large setup yourself? Your outline seems very optimistic and does not address the constraints. Happy to learn, if I missed something…

• Thank you everybody for answering my post, I do have concern regarding the stability of the system, not about hyperion or the machine running it but more about the communication between the bridges and the bulbs, of course this would need testing.

About the need of more bridges its not of a concern, if these are required to relieve the stress of the communication system between hyperion and the bulbs, I will ask for more bridges.

I understand the technical challenges and possible solution, but by no means I am an expert on the software side of the things, Ideally we want to have the solution as simple as possible, an most importantly reliable.

In a day or two I will receive a sample package with some bulbs and two bridges to test out even though I know Its not possible to understand the stability of a system this scale until we have a system this scale.

Question for both, do the HUEs connect to hyperion through the bridges (through a proprietary wireless solution) or do they also need a wireless infrastructure capable of that amount of wifi connected device?

• Thank you, I have done some testing lately with two bridges and a few bulb on each bridge, my only concern now us that hyperion for HUE follow a strange order for the positionig of light in space or gives 5 prefixed position (Left Corner, Top Left 0-50%, Center, Top Right 50%-100%, Right Corner), and completely ignore the position provided by the hue app.

Is there a way to put al the lights in place?

Thank you again

• Offizieller Beitrag

You can put the lights in place defining a custom layout. The Wizard only provide you with an easy start which area of the screen is mapped to the light.

The layout does not consider the positions of the light in the entertainment area/room.

The layout defines which screen/image area is mapped to which light

• Offizieller Beitrag

see https://docs.hyperion-project.…/Advanced.html#led-layout
    You have full flexibility...

Suggest you define the lights per wizard and the change the values in the Custom layout.
    Do "Update Preview" to see the new area mapping.

Try this:

• Thank you very much, wasn't considering to use the "current led configuration", that's amazing, I will share how it goes once the project is ready! thank you very much

• Lord-Grey Can In a few day the project will be set up, I received hundreds of bulbs, so far the testing has gone smoothly, my only question is you mentioned that with the v2 of the entertainment API I can create rooms of 20 bulbs, but unfortunately for now I can only add a max of 10, I am trying to get in touch with someone of the tech team from Signify but I am pursuing both ways as the time is shrinking.

Can you explain to me how to enable the v2 of the Entertainment API?

Thank you,

Looking forward to share the outcomes.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Can you explain to me how to enable the v2 of the Entertainment API?

Change the code that v2 is supported :)

I had a start a while ago, but lacked time to proceed.

• Hello Lord-Grey, thank you for your quick reply, but I don't understand what do you mean, I cannot add more than 10 bulbs to the Hue entertainment room, so hyperion just see ten bulbs. Where should I change this code?

as of the computer that will run Hyperion I am using a Mac Pro with the following specs:

• Intel Xeon E5-1650 v2 @ 3.5Mhz, 6 Cores 12 Threads
    • 32GB ram
    • AMD FirePro D500 3GB VRAM

The computer will mostly only run Hyperion.

Is there also a way to activate and add an effect to all the LED instance at once without having to go trough the whole list?

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von ICFF () aus folgendem Grund: Merged a post created by ICFF into this post.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I cannot add more than 10 bulbs to the Hue entertainment room

Unfortunately, I do not know how to configure more than 10 devices via the Hue app. I only own two bulbs for testing…

Maybe still 10 devices is the limit, but as e.g. Gradient devices have many lights, the 20 is the limit of lights which can be updated.

Happy to receive more hardware for testing :))

Where should I change this code?

The v2 API works differently. Therefore, this requires new code in Hyperion to implement the v2 protocol, datamodel and behavior.

Changes are required over multiple files.

It is not just a simple extension from 10 to 20 bulbs….unfortunately….

As mentioned, I started a while ago, but no ETA.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I just browsed through the Hue FAQs and there it is stated max 10 lights.

I need to recheck the v2 API definition, if there lights or number of LEDs is referred to.

I know that with v1, 10 updates can be done and with v2 20 updates. As v2 supports Gradient lights, it is one light, but Gradient can have 3,5 or 7 colors in parallel.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is there also a way to activate and add an effect to all the LED instance at once without having to go trough the whole list?

Currently, I only can think of that you go directly in the config database and do the updates.

The database is MySQL and you can easily access it via any client.

Ping me directly, when you get stock or require some more insights.

Edit: If you can do via the API, I would need to check…

Might be possible to get the config of one instance, update the effect and than store the config again.

Just write a script that would iterate over the instances. Might be also helpful for other config items…

• To keep it simple I will just use OBS to stream the scene to the capture cart with the color I need to display. I am not able to write scripts or any sort of coding, so to avoid any failure of the system I will simplify the system. Maybe for next time.

for the matter, do you know I can use the OBS virtual camera as capture device instead of an hardware device? if not I will just send the OBS preview into an additional capture card

Regarding the stock I have about 50 bridge and 600 HUE bulbs laying around.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von ICFF () aus folgendem Grund: Merged a post created by ICFF into this post.

• A quick update on the project, I am mapping the bulbs before installing,

this is what the bridges looks like now, I need to do some cabling management afterwards.

Hyperion Will be powered by a iMac 5k running windows on bootcamp with the following specs:

Core i9 9900K @ 3.68Ghz

40GB Ram

AMD Radeon Pro Vega 48 8GB Video Ram

Everything will be connected to a TP Link Archer 23 router and two switches,

one 48 Port and one 16 Port a total of 60 Bridges will be connected.

Hope this will be enough

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!