USB/Serial connected option for driving 300+ LEDs

• Hello,

I've built prototype ambilight system for Linux Ubuntu based node, X11 grabber for data capturing, Arduino Nano with FastLED and Adalight sketch (using this tutorial https://sudokin.com/diy-arduin…s2812b-full-build-how-to/). And now I see that with 115200 baud of serial connection I have about 62 fps update rate for 60 LEDs. But I want more - 300 LEDs or maybe even more. What hardware/software combination allow to achieve those values?

Probably additional RPi can help here, but use of USB/Serial device for driving LED is so tempting here as I don't want to have all that burden with video signal splitting/capturing. And this ambient light system aimed for video wall configuration (say 5x1 monitors ) which will be not easily handled by RPi anyway.

Can you please guide me to possible solutions suitable for this case (x11 grabbing at input, 300+ LEDS driven at output) ?

Thanks!

• regards pclin

Dreambox ONE / TWO

dreamOS OE2.6

Amlogic S922X - 53.000 DMIPS - 2 GB RAM - 16 GB Flash - Twin-DVB-S2X Tuner - HDR10 - HLG
    -
    AudioDSP: miniDSP 2x4HD - Amp: Pentagon - Lautsprecher ELAC / ARENDAL
    LG OLED65BX9LB (PicCap, hyperion.NG webOS)

FireTV 4K max

-
    hyperion (classic) & Plugin HyperionControl | hyperion-ng 2.0.16-beta.1 (dreamOS)
    Hyperion-ng (Debian bullseye)
    -
    6 x ESP32/Wemos D1 mini - WLED - SK6812 RGBW-NW 60 LEDs/m
    FeinTech VSP01201 - Grabber Macrosilicon

LG TV Hyperion webOS & PicCap

snoozer_likelinux_manvtkns.gif

Ambilight for ever

• Thanks, I saw that thread already... Did you notice that it have 'Arduino' only in caption? No word about arduino in that post actually - only esp32 vs esp8266 discussed...

• And what about the link?

Arduino vs ESP8266 vs ESP32 Microcontroller Comparison
    This article is a microcontroller comparison of in total 8 Arduino and ESP8266 based boards. I show you what is the best one for your project.
    diyi0t.com

Arduino has too little power and RAM, baud rate is limited.

Is only suitable for a few LEDs with a low frame rate.

ESP32 can calculate about 65k-85k LEDs per second (that means 1000 LEDs @~70fps, 2000 LEDs @~35fps, 4000 LEDs @~18fps)

ESP8266 can calculate about 15k LEDs per second (that means 250LEDs @~60fps, 500 LEDs @~30fps, 1000 LEDs @~15fps)

Arduino manages significantly less than an ESP8266

regards pclin

Dreambox ONE / TWO

dreamOS OE2.6

Amlogic S922X - 53.000 DMIPS - 2 GB RAM - 16 GB Flash - Twin-DVB-S2X Tuner - HDR10 - HLG
    -
    AudioDSP: miniDSP 2x4HD - Amp: Pentagon - Lautsprecher ELAC / ARENDAL
    LG OLED65BX9LB (PicCap, hyperion.NG webOS)

FireTV 4K max

-
    hyperion (classic) & Plugin HyperionControl | hyperion-ng 2.0.16-beta.1 (dreamOS)
    Hyperion-ng (Debian bullseye)
    -
    6 x ESP32/Wemos D1 mini - WLED - SK6812 RGBW-NW 60 LEDs/m
    FeinTech VSP01201 - Grabber Macrosilicon

LG TV Hyperion webOS & PicCap

snoozer_likelinux_manvtkns.gif

Ambilight for ever

• Thanks for explanation.

I've tried to use 1000000 baud rate and it seems good on both sides - I can send it from Linux and receive on Arduino.

With such speed of USB/Serial transfer it's possible to pass information for ~500 LEDs with 60 FPS.

I don't know yet if there will be problems with setting such amount of LEDs on Arduino side (seems like all works good with 60 LEDs I have here).

As I see common use of ESP32/ESP8266 is done via WLAN protocol, but I'm trying to stick to USB/Serial for now. Maybe I will be forced to switch to network communication if this path with USB/Serial is not possible for my final configuration.

• This is not possible with an Arduino, CPU, RAM and serial interface cannot do this. See tech specs.

It is also possible with ESP via USB, controller type: adalight, three streaming protocols are available depending on the ESP, high baud rates up to 1500000 baud rates are possible (WLED), up to 2000000 (HyperSerial).

Then there are FTDI boards and RP2040 pico boards that work via USB.

I am using an ESP32 with Ethernet and POE.

ESP with WLED software has many more advantages.

regards pclin

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!