All LEDS blue when no input signal

• Hi all

I've recently setup a strip of WS2801 LEDs around my telly using an RPi3 + OpenELEC + Hyperion and it looks amazing!

I used the guide on this website to help me get everything configured, including a video grabber so I could use an alternate HDMI input (specifically my Playstation 4) as the source for the LEDs:
    http://www.alessandrocolla.com…-source-raspberry-part-3/

It all works great, until I turn off the PS4 so that the video capture card has no input. Obviously at this point I would like all of the LEDs to switch off, however they currently go to a very bright blue. Capturing a screenshot from the video capture card when this happens shows a blue screen with "NO SIGNAL INPUT" (or something similar) in white text at the top left of the screen.

I've tried adjusting the blueSignalThreshold in the config for the grabber as described in the github issue here:
    https://github.com/hyperion-project/hyperion/issues/45

I have not been able to get the LEDs to switch off however (I wonder if the "NO SIGNAL INPUT" text is just enough white near the edge of the screen to just be under the threshold), and currently have to switch them off at the mains whenever I turn off my PS4 (or using the android app to turn the LED brightness to zero). Hoping someone will be able to guide me towards a solution... thanks in advance!

Keep up the great work on the project

Cheers
    Jim

• Hi there!

Did you find a fix for your issue? I read about this before I build my ambilight and decided to install a simple switch on the back of my TV. So after watching I just switch the lights off.

• Hi! Sure, here it is:

• it is not enough to set blueThreshold, you have to set the others too. I use (rgb) 0.1 0.1 1.0 (allowed values are between 0 and 1 in 0,00390625 steps)
    It works for my grabber with blue no signal screen absolut fantastic.

Try playing with the rgb thresholds. I know the code behind and this is working well - if you have a steady monocolor no signal image

• What does it mean if you set it to 1.0 for blue?
    -> if the whole picture is blue (value 255) it stops to use the whole blue picture?
    -> with this setting you have at a movie a very blue picture for certain seconds, the leds stay black?
    -> this result not in a stopped output? Would be hard to get in touch with the "InitialEffect"? Not so easy.

We should note the behaviour for everyone somewhere. Due to the point i have no hdmi to cvbs i can't test and note something :)
    As we already wrote, maybe a adjustable time before it triggers may be good.

• Currently the blue picture has to stay for 50 frames. this means 2 seconds. If frame decimation is set to 2, then we need 4 seconds same blue picture. Then we have additional timeout from prioMuxer of 5 seconds. This means. If we watch a movie with a pure blue picture for more than 7 seconds, then we will see the led colors from next prio channal.
    But what movie should that be? Rgb test pattern reloded?

Those 3 thresholds are combined to one rgb threshold color, you always had to set them all and all pixels of image had to be lower than this color.

• Currently the blue picture has to stay for 50 frames. this means 2 seconds. If frame decimation is set to 2, then we need 4 seconds same blue picture. Then we have additional timeout from prioMuxer of 5 seconds. This means. If we watch a movie with a pure blue picture for more than 7 seconds, then we will see the led colors from next prio channal.
    But what movie should that be? Rgb test pattern reloded?

Those 3 thresholds are combined to one rgb threshold color, you always had to set them all and all pixels of image had to be lower than this color.

• it is not enough to set blueThreshold, you have to set the others too. I use (rgb) 0.1 0.1 1.0 (allowed values are between 0 and 1 in 0,00390625 steps)
    It works for my grabber with blue no signal screen absolut fantastic.

Try playing with the rgb thresholds. I know the code behind and this is working well - if you have a steady monocolor no signal image

Thanks! I tried this and it seems to nearly work - after a couple of seconds of being on the "No Signal" blue screen a lot of the LEDs go off, and the rest of them go to a dimmer blue - unfortunately they're still visible so it's not a permanent solution for me. I will look at playing with the cropping when I get time, as perhaps I have some "padding" that is throwing it off

Thanks again for your help

• We may should "port" the continous option and set it so true by default again. As i see more people that run into issues with color "shadows". If people want to stop the output they could add the option with false.

• Just to update, I updated my config to make a properly cropped input image (no rubbish around the edges)

Now when I disconnect the input source all of the LEDs go bright blue, then after a couple of seconds the bottom row all turn off, the top and side rows go a dim blue colour, with two of the LEDs on each side turning off... then after a couple more seconds all of the LEDs turn off! Hoorah! When I reconnect the input source to the grabber the LEDs all function again correctly

I didn't notice any difference in results when having smoothing turned off so I've kept it on linear for now (I'm not sure what this does)

Thanks for all of your help - I can now leave my LED strip plugged in all the time

Jim

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!