Hyperion: Long term ideas

• A Kodi addon to install, configure and start a calibration wizard
    • Remove KodiChecker from Hyperion and add it to the Kodi addon (also better to maintain and update!). Direction: also better automation possibility

• -> Add JSON commands: stopGrabber() startGrabber()

• Webinterface to control/mod settings/restart Hyperion/Update Hyperion/Grab log and upload it/upload config/...

• -> Python connection to Hyperion to grab pictures/get live log etc

• Control Hyperion devices with PhilipsHue remotes and be compliant with the ecosystem
    • Add brightness control

Share your ideas here!

• Maybe not a common use case, but the ability to change the brightness of the leds for different light situations of the room. Most modern tvs change their brightness in relation to the surroundings. If we could integrate a light sensor or get the info from somewhere else, hyperion could do that as well. Simpler solution would be to control the brightness via a remote control, though.
    • I dont know if possible at all, but to be able to control the lightstrip via the philips hue ecosystem. As if the lightstrip would be a hue product. Other way round is possible right now, but I think to be able to integrate the existing lightstrip behind the tv into the hue lights ecosystem would make a lot of sense in regard to using existing resources.
  • 1. I also thought about a handy brightness regulation cause this bothers me too. But a sensor may just work if your device is placed at a respective area wehre you are able to grab a correct value. I thought about a timer based regulation.
    2. You want to control the lightstrip with a "Philips hue" comaptible remote/app instead to set a color wit the hyperion app. Right?

• 2. You want to control the lightstrip with a "Philips hue" comaptible remote/app instead to set a color wit the hyperion app. Right?

Exactly, since the new Hue app supports Homekit, Hue lights can be controlled via Siri. If the Hue bridge could control the Led strip, you could integrate it into scenes, etc without the need of additional 3rd party home automation solutions or a bazillion different apps. Would be a lot more convenient in my opinion. However, you would only be able to set single solid colours because Hue doesn't have addressable light strips but, anyway. Better then having to use different apps which often results in just leaving it off because of lazyness.

• for the brightness: how about calculating the times for sunset and sunrise. Then we can define time regions like night, day dawn, ... and then assign maximum brightness values to this time reagions. Then we can interpolate between those values during the day.

To make it perfect, we can add a seasonal component (winter, spring, summer, winter).

here is some code and theory to calcualte sunset/sunrise
    http://lexikon.astronomie.info/zeitgleichung/neu.html (german)

• I like that idea, since it does not require additional hardware and therefor reaches a broad userbase. Another thing, and maybe we should discuss this further in an additional thread is: Yesterday I played around with the backlight and luminance parameters and noticed that the luminance influences also the saturation. For me it is very hard to configure the colours in dark scenes. I get the grey about right using the wiki, but when there is a dark brown it turns completely red for example. Lower gamma values solve that but since last update I have a backlight effect with gamma values below about 2,2. Also smoothing seems to influence the dark colours, depending on the colour that was displayed before. I guess we should somehow fix this before there are automatic brightness adjustments, in order to avoid complaints. I hope you get what I mean. Does somebody have the same problem and should we discuss the behaviour in a new thread?

• @Doc.Ex
    I can relate to the behaviour that you explain, getting the correct led colors on dark scenes is really difficult. Anyway the leds behaviour is the right one, and what I mean to say is that brown color in fact is a low luminance red, but it IS red. I'm still looking for a solution on dark scenes, any idea is appreciated.

• Yeah brown contains a lot of red, but there is a small percentage of green which makes it brown instead of red. I know that there might be limitations regarding thresholds of the leds. This is getting very technical now. For example the diode only lights up when there is a voltage above 0,7V. Brown contains a lot of red, so the red led fires up. But the amount of green is so little that it is a brightness that would require the green led to fire up at, for example, 0,5V. But it can't since its technical limitation requires 0,7V. So the result is, only red fires up and therefore it doesn't show brown, it shows red. That is probably the reason why brighter colours are no problem to configure. You can reproduce that behaviour for brighter colours using the software colour thresholds. Maybe it is especially bad for my setup since the lpd8806 only supports 7bit pwm instead of 8bit like the apa102.
    Anyway, one idea I have had was, what if we reduce the saturation gradually for darker colours? Bright colours wouldnt be affected. Sure it'll wash out dark colours, but personally I would rather have a washed out brownish grey that is not distracting than a flashy full color red.

Edit: I just got an idea how to figure out the thresholds. Maybe it makes sense when test all colours for their thresholds. So increasing brightness step by step from 0 until the led fires up. The value when it fires up is set to threshold. Now when we have mixed colours, the threshold is the minimum luminance for that colour (only for mixed colours).
    Example:
    Thresholds are RGB: (006/009/007)
    Now we have a Brown (150/025/000) -> Everything is fine.
    But a darker brown (050/006/000) -> would turn out red.
    Solution: darker brown becomes (050/009/000) -> green fires up. result is a brown. maybe not 100% accurate but better than red

• unfortunately not. I am thinking about buying new ones, and wanted to get the apa102 but then I read that u guys implemented the rgbw stripes. Now I wait on reviews, since they are a bit more expensive :D

• Exactly, since the new Hue app supports Homekit, Hue lights can be controlled via Siri. If the Hue bridge could control the Led strip, you could integrate it into scenes, etc without the need of additional 3rd party home automation solutions or a bazillion different apps. Would be a lot more convenient in my opinion. However, you would only be able to set single solid colours because Hue doesn't have addressable light strips but, anyway. Better then having to use different apps which often results in just leaving it off because of lazyness.

Joined up essentially to say that this is something I am most excited about. The Hue universe is continually gaining traction and getting so much easier to integrate into the home 'for dummies' that soon my whole home will be Hue. My living room has strips and bulbs all over, and it would be nice to plunk hyperion controlled strips into that architecture as a recognized 'hue light' so they don't go to waste.

For what it's worth, right now I use hue essentially phone-less using the dimmers programmed to scenes I want 95% of the time. That would be the ideal for hyperion strips too, although setting priority for control might be weird when content is on the TV.

• I jumped into this a few years ago. As an avid hockey fan, i've programmed my own Goal light animation. I'm currently triggering it manually, but have seen budweiser come out with their own physical goal light. From what i've seen it works nearly instantaneously with what you see on tv. My goal is to get this effect to trigger my own ambilights so i no longer have to set them manually. I'm nearly there running a script on another pi that essentially hits a server looking for score updates. Where i am stuck is i need to essentially treat the other pi as a hyperion-remote. I know it is possible and i feel so close. I am no backend dev and have been hobbling my way through all of this. But as an idea for the app even, it would be cool if you could set it to track different sporting events and trigger your own custom events automatically.

• I would like to get audio effects when playing music from Kodi (my primary music player). Having some sort of Kodi visualization that integrates with Hyperion would be cool.

As for that, Kodi is exposing the audio data in the visualuization api (eg from waveform: https://github.com/notspiff/vi…b6d1278/src/Main.cpp#L181). Would it be feasible to apply that data to an audio effect from https://github.com/RanzQ/hyperion-audio-effects and senc that data to the hyperion controller?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!