Android Screen Grabber

• Thanks... I don't actually have LEDs yet, when I get them I'll give it a shot.

• Hey Flint, glad to hear they at least are turning white haha. There could be a couple reasons for that, I've noticed on my setup occasionally when starting the grabber the lights will light-up white (which is the screen data from the hyperion app), but get stuck there and don't respond when I leave the app. Only workaround I've found is to try restarting the service a few times and it eventually starts working - which is a little mysterious to me. However the current posted alpha has issues stopping/starting the service from the app, so the little toggle switch doesn't actually stop the grabber. On a phone there is a notification item for the grabber with an exit button that does work, but there is no notification menu in android TV! I do have that fixed already so maybe I'll just post that fixed apk when I get a moment to.

Hey! I did some more testing! You are right, the white color was caused by the screen data from the hyperion app!
    I reinstalled everything and was able to get it work for a while! :) It turns itself off when switchung TV hdmi inputs (all the leds turn green, when that happens). :D

what is the BRAVIA you are using?
    My panel is 55XD8577 and I also have issues- the grabber only working in menu and turns dark in Kodi, Moonlight, Youtube and so on.

feels like Sony have some specific way showing movie video layer )

I am using the KD 43X8305C

Got it also working in the menu and in youtubes menu.. when i start a yt video, there are some leds working but they are not matching the picture.
    Kodi app only turns a few random leds white.

Netflix and Amazon are not working at all, but i expected that.

• hehe... .after messing around the youtube app for a while i noticed that several leds turn from ALL BLACK to pure white if I adjust the volume.

so most probably this is a reaction to the volume bar appearing on top of the video.

• Hey everyone, just posted a new alpha build for you all to try! The new grabber is now the default one, the old one can be toggled in the settings.

Just a note: I built this apk from a different computer so there is a chance you may need to uninstall the old version before you can install the update - but I might be wrong.

Please let me know if this helps at all!

• Thanks for your hard work. For me the same result for the MiBox, although it seems a lot more stable.

Did had a freeze after watching a few minutes of Plex. For YouTube same issue but no crash this time.

[MEDIA=googledrive]1y-Yg__wszEwm9iFXxVFPX-q-3RTrbkP4[/MEDIA]

• Thanks for your hard work. For me the same result for the MiBox, although it seems a lot more stable.

Did had a freeze after watching a few minutes of Plex. For YouTube same issue but no crash this time.

[MEDIA=googledrive]1y-Yg__wszEwm9iFXxVFPX-q-3RTrbkP4[/MEDIA]

Well damn! There must be something going on there that I am totally in the dark about... Maybe a different version of the youtube app or something optimised for that or a specific set of devices? Mind sharing the exact version of the youtube app if you could find it?

After testing for a while yesterday I did notice it become unresponsive once, and that it is failing to start the grabber after waking up the device (requiring the service to be toggled)... I'll have to repeat that with a profiler running to see if I can get a peek at what is causing to to hang!

EDIT: Thommy, would you be able to give this a try and let me know if you have the same problems? https://smartyoutubetv.github.io/

• I just installed the stable smartYoutube version and used the 4k legacy version. After some short testing, the HD video's worked fine with the grabber. The 4k video's made the grabber crash and I have the same strange image as on the original app.. The version of the original app is version 2.02.08

• I just installed the stable smartYoutube version and used the 4k legacy version. After some short testing, the HD video's worked fine with the grabber. The 4k video's made the grabber crash and I have the same strange image as on the original app.. The version of the original app is version 2.02.08

Interesting... When it crashed playing 4k videos, it did the thing where it makes the video all small in the corner again? I wonder if the mibox is doing strange things that the hardware I have is not (I mean it is pretty obvious something is different). I definitely have some work to do in the stability department, per my own experiences, but I'm honestly just not certain how to address this issue yet.

I'm working on getting the app into the playstore now (which is a whole new learning experience haha) so I can at least setup some private testing channels, I'm hoping once I get that on there I'll be able to collect crash data and stuff like that!

Have you tried disabling hardware acceleration just to see if that has any impact on behavior?

• Hi to you all and many thanks for the app! Im going to receive my led strip and start to colaborabe with you. For that matter, would you mind giving some basics like exactly what devices to we need to have? I have a android box with android 6.0, a raspberry pi and the led strip. This app only works with the box as source not with other hdmi sources, right?

I think that the "mibox" case happens because it has a different firmware. It would be nice to try booting the android box into libreelec and try again running youtube addon.

You can also try this variation of youtube Root/unroot versions available from a xda developer:
    https://forum.xda-developers.c…e-vanced-edition-t3758757

• Hi to you all and many thanks for the app! I'm going to receive my led strip and start to collaborate with you. For that matter, would you mind giving some basics like exactly what devices to we need to have? I have a android box with android 6.0, a raspberry pi and the led strip. This app only works with the box as source not with other hdmi sources, right?

I think that the "mibox" case happens because it has a different firmware. It would be nice to try booting the android box into libreelec and try again running youtube addon.

You can also try this variation of youtube Root/unroot versions available from a xda developer:
    https://forum.xda-developers.c…e-vanced-edition-t3758757

Hey Indiglo! You are correct, this app only works on the android device itself - not certain how exactly that ties into things like the bravia TVs that have android built-in, but I would wager it doesn't work for that either (though I would love to be wrong about that). The mibox seems like it may be doing some 'non-standard' (for lack of better term) things, but I'm hesitant to comment because I don't actually have one.

As far as hardware goes, it seems like you have most of what you need, short of a dedicated PSU for the LEDs. I do have my pi networked via the ethernet, I haven't tried wirelessly. One thing I added to my setup was one of those smart outlets, so I can turn the LEDs on/off with voice commands via my google assitant, which is pretty awesome!

I just setup test-channel for the app in the playstore, I'll update the OP to include a link!

• What is the possibility to have a USB grabber connected do a Android box? Should it work with external signals? Maybe...?

I watched a video on YT with a UTV007 video grabber connected to an Android by OTG cable and works flawlessly! Anyone with one that wants to give it a try?

• What is the possibility to have a USB grabber connected do a Android box? Should it work with external signals? Maybe...?

I watched a video on YT with a UTV007 video grabber connected to an Android by OTG cable and works flawlessly! Anyone with one that wants to give it a try?

Honestly had not really thought of trying that... What app are you using to get the video feed from the usb grabber?

• Honestly had not really thought of trying that... What app are you using to get the video feed from the usb grabber?

I'm not using...yet. I'm waiting for the led strips... The app reported is called Easycap Viewer and it works with the 2 most common internal chips of the USB grabber available. Remember that it must be connected by OTG. Could you please share if it works?

• I'm not using...yet. I'm waiting for the led strips... The app reported is called Easycap Viewer and it works with the 2 most common internal chips of the USB grabber available. Remember that it must be connected by OTG. Could you please share if it works?

Interesting... I'm going to try that out! I have the device mentioned in this thread:

https://hyperion-project.org/t…xperience-with-this.2625/

So now I'm really interested to see how well that works... If it is basically just a video feed I don't see any reason why it wouldn't!

I'll try out my old xbox360 hooked to the grabber I linked above, assuming everything works and the latency is low, I don't see any reason why this couldn't be a way to make it work with other HDMI devices!

• That is exactly one of the chips that works! If it works it would be amazing!

• Just bought a Nvidia Shield TV. The grabber is working fine on this system. Only after standby I have to stop/start the service. I will keep the Mibox for a while so if you would like some tests, I can still do this. Have you tried Netflix already with a xposed module?

edit:

What hyperion version are you running? Would Hyperion-NG handle blackborders?

• So, excuse me for this question: with the possibility of multiple Hdmi sources connected do an Android device by having a USB grabber, I need to make a sketch in my head like this: correct me if wrong please:

Hdmi source -> (IN) Hdmi splitter (1OUT to TV; 1OUT to: -> Hdmi2Av converter -> USB grabber -> android device.

Where to we connect our LED strip??

• So, excuse me for this question: with the possibility of multiple Hdmi sources connected do an Android device by having a USB grabber, I need to make a sketch in my head like this: correct me if wrong please:

Hdmi source -> (IN) Hdmi splitter (1OUT to TV; 1OUT to: -> Hdmi2Av converter -> USB grabber -> android device.

Where to we connect our LED strip??

To a Pi or other device that runs hyperion. The hyperion service needs to run somewhere, you could also search the forum for nodemcu solutions too connected wireless to the leds. But there is no service for Android AFAIK.

• To a Pi or other device that runs hyperion. The hyperion service needs to run somewhere, you could also search the forum for nodemcu solutions too connected wireless to the leds. But there is no service for Android AFAIK.

So what we are really trying to achieve is to be able to send signal to hyperion from all the apps installed in an Android box, not only kodi, right?

• So what we are really trying to achieve is to be able to send signal to hyperion from all the apps installed in an Android box, not only kodi, right?

That's the idea!

For a device to run hyperion, you could get a $5 raspberry pi zero and something like this:
    https://store.google.com/produ…et_adapter_for_chromecast
    which should give power & network connectivity in one

I'm getting my adapter tomorrow to test a setup like that (was just curious), so I'll report back if it works well.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!