Android Screen Grabber

• I've built a new led setup now and gotten it all working. Seems very good so far, not a hell of a long running time yet but no issues. Is the amount of leds in the setup any important?Seeing as i've got it all set up in hyperion?
    This is a shield tv, raspberry pi and a Arduino build.

• I've built a new led setup now and gotten it all working. Seems very good so far, not a hell of a long running time yet but no issues. Is the amount of leds in the setup any important?Seeing as i've got it all set up in hyperion?
    This is a shield tv, raspberry pi and a Arduino build.

Glad to hear it is working for you!

The count of the LEDs is sort of my way of determining the quality of the image to send to hyperion. Rather than have scaling settings or something that the user just takes guesses at, I just gather the info about the LEDs to automatically figure out the optimal quality. I would wager the default works for majority of people, but if you have a ton of LEDs in your setup you will want to set that info (or conversely if you have a low number then setting those values lower will send a smaller image - thus saving some CPU)!

• This is on a 65 inch tv, 264 LED setup. Dont know if that is considered a "lot of" LEDs in this context?

Been watching a movie and some stuff now, works without a hitch so far. Really dependable compared to a splitter/grabber setup i used to run.

• This is on a 65 inch tv, 264 LED setup. Dont know if that is considered a "lot of" LEDs in this context?

Been watching a movie and some stuff now, works without a hitch so far. Really dependable compared to a splitter/grabber setup i used to run.

Really glad to hear that - I only started working on this because I wasn't happy with the performance & headache of splitters! :LOL:

The default value is around 220 LEDs (60 tall x 50 wide), so you probably won't notice any improvement by increasing the counts. I have to use common divisors for the width & height of the image to maintain the correct aspect ratio, which is what the app figures out the best value to use based on the number of LEDs you have. I don't think your count is different enough from the default to lower the divisor used, so you should be all set!

The next version will include the ability to send only the average color of the screen, along with you translations!

• I stuffed the absolute maximum amount of leds on the tv. Using some Ws2812b 5v LEDS. They are what i've always used.
    I noticed with this grabber the colors are more defined/lively, i thought they looked kinda dull on previous setup, tried a heap of converters, splitters, cables and connecting in different ways. It looks "allrite" without even tuning the colors or anything yet. Will it be possible to do the black bar detection in the grabber and crop the image accordingly or is this putting the cart before the horse?

• I stuffed the absolute maximum amount of leds on the tv. Using some Ws2812b 5v LEDS. They are what i've always used.
    I noticed with this grabber the colors are more defined/lively, i thought they looked kinda dull on previous setup, tried a heap of converters, splitters, cables and connecting in different ways. It looks "allrite" without even tuning the colors or anything yet. Will it be possible to do the black bar detection in the grabber and crop the image accordingly or is this putting the cart before the horse?

Actually I have some code that does that, but I am sort of leaning towards encouraging people to use hyperion to handle that. I found if the black border detection was set to 0 then it would not work (at least with this app). I set mine to 0.01 and then in started to work. Give that a try!

• Hi,

thanks for the great work, I am using this on my Sony AndroidTV.
    In Kodi playing 1080p files everything works fine, but i cannot get it working with 4k/HDR files, the LEDs just stay off.

Also with the Sony Media Player i have the same problem.
    There was a tip to turn off hardware acceleration in KODI, but this is needed for 4k/HDR files to play stutter free. When i turn it off the movies are not watchable with ~1fps but Ambilight is working.

Is it thechnically even possible to make it work with hardware acceleration on? If not i have to think of using an external player with expensive 4k/HDR splitter/downscaler.

• hello, nice jobs , actually i capture tv with picamera (170°)
    I test grabber on my tcl 65 inch ( 4K )
    Works nice on android menu ( and test on application grabber )
    No led when watch tv , or launch netflix or youtube ...
    It seems than grabber don't capture picture on application ?
    Have you an idea or i miss something ?
    Best regards

• Hey there, I think maybe the smart TVs with android installed may be using some sort of DRM. Netflix does this for certain, but I can't comment on the live TV functionality unfortunately since I do not have that hardware available to me. Youtube does work for me however (running on a 2017 shield TV), but I am suspecting they may have a different version for smart TVs since I have heard a lot of people mention problems with them. Would you be able to post the exact version of your youtube apk please?

• Sorry to reply late.
    The apk of yoube is the courant version 2.03.06.
    The grabber could take capture with a lot of applications.
    I think smart tv with android tv don't permit capture on video application ( for protection copyright )
    Perhaps the api don't access on application with special status ( DRM )...

I read this for help :
    https://stackoverflow.com/ques…-on-protected-drm-content

• Hi,
    is there a little "how to" for this app. I´m asking because I want to try it on my Shield 2017. I´m running a Hyperion Instance on on my Raspberry. Is the "grabbing Data" send by network to the Hyperion device? Tahnk you in advanced for a little help to push me in the right direction :)

mike

• Hi,
    is there a little "how to" for this app. I´m asking because I want to try it on my Shield 2017. I´m running a Hyperion Instance on on my Raspberry. Is the "grabbing Data" send by network to the Hyperion device? Tahnk you in advanced for a little help to push me in the right direction :)

mike

Hey Mike,

This app is intended to control hyperion over a network connection, so you would want the pi running hyperion to simply be connected to the same network as your shield. From there we have a connection wizard implemented, which should help you get your hostname/ip configured for the app.

I would love to be able to get this working by connecting the pi directly to the shield (or any android TV device) via USB, but I'm not even sure if that is possible to be honest.

I developed this to run on my 2017 shield, so you should be good to go as long as everything is on the same network!

Let me know if you have any questions!

EDIT: I also see you are from Italy, If you would be interested in doing some translating to Italian shoot me a PM with your email and I can get you setup to contribute!

• Hi, just tested your app on my Shield pro, really great work.
    i was missing ambilight since i got my shield.
    I tested with hyperion-ng is it also compatible with the old hyperion?
    IMO the black detection (not blackborder) was better in the old hyperion, or does anyone know where the black threshold is gone in NG?

• Hi, just tested your app on my Shield pro, really great work.
    i was missing ambilight since i got my shield.
    I tested with hyperion-ng is it also compatible with the old hyperion?
    IMO the black detection (not blackborder) was better in the old hyperion, or does anyone know where the black threshold is gone in NG?

Both versions of hyperion should work fine! I found if I made the black border detector a value greater than 0 it worked better with this app. I'm running 0.01 on my hyperion.ng instance!

Hi, I have tested your app with a Sony Bravia A1.

Android menu Ok
    Amazon prime, Youtube: menu Ok, not working with any movies
    Kodi: menu Ok, working with sd/hd movies, not working with uhd/4k movies
    DTT: not working

That seems to be a common theme with Bravias. I haven't done enough research to be able to say for sure what is going on there yet, and unfortunately do not have access to one to test things on. Maybe it's a DRM thing, but I'm only guessing. Not sure what DTT is?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!