Android Screen Grabber

• I read a lot about the Nvidia Shield. Has anyone got it running on an Android TV Box Like Xiaomi or anything comparable?

I tried the first alpha/early version on the Mi Box and there where some issue. Kodi or Plex worked fine. I had some issues with Youtube. You will find this a few pages back. I don't have the Mi Box anymore. Happy with the Shield right now.

hello, i have hyperion setup with rpi2+arduino. Im about to buy nvidia shield. Will i have some problem getting kodi+hyperion to work? do i need rpi2 or just connect arduino to nvidia via USB with this grabber?

You will need an instance of Hyperion to send your data to. So leave your setup as it is. You can download the phone version of this grabber to test its working on your android phone. Then you will see how easy it is.

• hello, i have hyperion setup with rpi2+arduino. Im about to buy nvidia shield. Will i have some problem getting kodi+hyperion to work? do i need rpi2 or just connect arduino to nvidia via USB with this grabber?
    im using it like this for years and many things could change so if there is some tutorial or something that can help me. I just want my hyperion work with nvidia shield :)

thanks!

Hey bud,

For this setup you will definitely want to keep the rpi around. I tried experimenting with controlling something directly from the shield over usb, but it was distracting me from making a functional app! The application works via a network connection, so as long as your pi is on your network you should be alright.

There should be no problems whatsoever using the grabber with kodi on the shield, the only apps (on the shield at least) that I have found to have problems are DRM protected apps like Netflix & Amazon Video.

So as long as your hyperion hardware is all set up and running the app should connect and work without any additional steps!

• I just tested the app on my rooted Redmi 4x phone. Talking to the server on my libreelec raspberry works fine.

If I use the Netflix app the LEDs switch off as soon as a video is running. Menu works though.

Is there a root option inside the grabber app?

• Hi guys I'm Nathan I'm from the UK I have seen lots of videos of DIY ambient lighting. And it's looks great.

But I'm not really that smart with stuff like this but I can follow instructions quite well.

Now I can't see anything about how to make this work. I have bought some items already but if I don't need then I'll make a second unit for the kids room.

The items I have
    Projector running Android TV 8

Arduino Uno R3
    Raspberry pi 2 & 3
    HDMI 1 in 2 out splitter

Waiting on capture card

Now is there away I can just use my android projector with just the Arduino or pie as its got 3 hdmi ports built in.

Thanks for your time and I hope my post don't get on anyone's nerves.

As I know a lot of the time people just ask with out looking.
    But I have looked and I just can't find what I'm looking for.

Thanks again Nathan

• Dont count on it, it will not happen, any DRM protected video service can't be captured, if someone will ever do this it will only work with root and some hacked apps, if this was so simple pirate groups would have zero issues releasing said services media.

This is why a standalone ambilight system is best, u dont care, it just works, u just need to split it and thats it.

• Hello
    I installed the screen grabber on Xiaomi Mi box, running latest stock firmware. Screen grabbing works fine in android menus, Kodi home menu and video playback. It doesn't work in Netflix and Youtube. Interesting thing is that it works in Youtube on my mobile phone, so I guess I'll try with some alternative Youtube app for AndroidTV.
    However, I have another problem. When the screen grabber is turned on, I cannot no longer control the Hyperion server using Android remote app or commnd line. There is an options named "priority" in the seetings, which is set at 50 in the grabber, but setting priority >50 in remote app doesn't work. It seems like your grabber has ultimate priority. Can you look into this?

• Hello
    I installed the screen grabber on Xiaomi Mi box, running latest stock firmware. Screen grabbing works fine in android menus, Kodi home menu and video playback. It doesn't work in Netflix and Youtube. Interesting thing is that it works in Youtube on my mobile phone, so I guess I'll try with some alternative Youtube app for AndroidTV.
    However, I have another problem. When the screen grabber is turned on, I cannot no longer control the Hyperion server using Android remote app or commnd line. There is an options named "priority" in the seetings, which is set at 50 in the grabber, but setting priority >50 in remote app doesn't work. It seems like your grabber has ultimate priority. Can you look into this?

Hey bud. It would appear that some devices utilize different hardware for rendering certain videos, which seems like a DRM thing more than anything. Doesn't look like anything can be done about that.

For the priority, the lower value is actually a higher priority (as counter-intuitive as that may be), so you would want that set to 49 to be prioritized over the grabber app.

• Yea its a bummer for sure... But I am very open to exploring ideas, if anyone more knowledgeable in this than myself have any to share!

whats interesting is when I use a screen recorder program DRM protection still blacks out the video but if I rotate the screen there is about 1 second where I can see the video content. So there must be a leak somewhere.

• Hi Guys,
    At first: Great work!
    I´ve read about the problems with Bravia TVs. I got a new 60xf8305 with android 8. I tested your app and it works fine in Home-Menu and all Apps I use like Plex and Youtube. Don´t know why others have problems with them.
    But the only thing where it doesn´t work is normal TV. When I open a menu with TV in background, the Leds are lit where it is.
    I think it capture the wrong "layer"?

• Hello Guys,

I have recently updated my Sony Bravia A1 to Android 8 and the app works better:

Kodi: all contents works well, SD, HD, 4K
    Youtube: SD, HD ok, I have to check 4K
    Amazon prime: It works only with the menu, not in playback (DRM?)
    Rai play (Italian television) works with all contents

Although the app works fine and the leds light on, when the app is on, I get stuttering videos, both HD and 4K, while the SD videos run smoothly.
    I selected the lower frame rate with a just bit better result, but the videos are still stuttering.
    I will try changing the TV settings, but I am afraid the cpu is not powerful to support both hyperion and the video decoding.
    Have you any suggestion what to check?

And is there a way to get a lighter app?

Thank you
    Franco

• Hello
    could not create new thread, sorry for reply here...

Anybody know if Hyperion runs on Android directly? Read about ESP wifi device which can act as client.

My idea is to run on Android as server, grab data throw usb hdmi stick and send it to the ESP.

Thanks

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!