NUC + Nodemcu + WS2813

• Hello,
    Thanks to your help i have been able to compile and install ESPixelstick sketch on my Nodemcu with the good frequency.
    I am impressed by the GUI which allows you to configure the LED, WIFI, Multicast, MQTT and test effects (rainbow and so on), that's perfect !
    Now just to double check :
    You mentioned that the GPIO 2 is used, i think i tried with the wrong one, i connect D2 which is different from GPIO2.
    Here is a picture of what i should connect :

All the GND should be connected with the GND of the LED power supply.
    The GPIO2 which is printed as D4 on the Nodemcu, this one should be connected to the level shiftter (or directly on the LED strip for "bad testing")

On hyperion, i should use the udp type and specify the IP address of my nodemcu.

Am i correct ?

Thanks !

• All the GND should be connected with the GND of the LED power supply.

Yes and no. On the Nodemcu board the grounds are all ready connected. You well only need one wire to a ground pin (all well be connected via the board circuitry )

The GPIO2 which is printed as D4 on the Nodemcu, this one should be connected to the level shiftter (or directly on the LED strip for "bad testing")

I believe you are correct D4=GPIO2.

On hyperion, i should use the udp type and specify the IP address of my nodemcu.

Controller type: udpe131 And the IP. That's the setting I have on mine.

Hope its of help.

• hi, im trying to use my nodemcu , on hypercon there is no udpe131 you put this value manual?

• hi, im trying to use my nodemcu , on hypercon there is no udpe131 you put this value manual?

It's available in Hyperion.NG, This is a pre release version and well need to be compiled by you. There is good compile howto here: https://github.com/hyperion-pr…ob/master/CompileHowto.md

Hope it's of help.

• It's available in Hyperion.NG, This is a pre release version and well need to be compiled by you. There is good compile howto here: https://github.com/hyperion-pr…ob/master/CompileHowto.md

Hope it's of help.

Thanks i know that version but actually im using classic : ( because im using webcam as source , i compiled the NG version and added the changes to work with my cam but in NG cant use the cam, thanks any way : (

• The hardware part seems to be ok now, i can't do the rainbow and other tests and i see it corectly on my led strip so perfect !
    I have installed hyperion-ng as it is mandatory to support udpe131 which is needed to communicate with nodemcu running esppixelstick code.

When i try to start hyperion-ng i have this error :

Code
    hyperion@hyperion:~/hyperion/build$ hyperiond
    QObject::connect: No such slot ProtoServer::setVideoMode(VideoMode)
    [hyperiond FRAMEBUFFERGRABBER] <ERROR> Could not get screen information
    hyperion@hyperion:~/hyperion/build$ uname -a
    Linux hyperion 4.4.0-62-generic #83-Ubuntu SMP Wed Jan 18 14:10:15 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I am not able to find any documentation regarding this, hyperion-ng is also working with usb grabber like hyperion ?
    Why hyperion need to get the screen information ? At least for my use which is not to install it on kodi.

• Is "platform capture" enabled?
    For my setup that is similar to yours I only enable the "usb capture"

Hope it helps

• Sorry Akriss but I didn't find documentation regarding this so I think it is not enabled.
    I have just installed hyperion-ng following the how to and then try to start it using hyperiond without doing any configuration or anything else.
    Thanks

• Hyperion.NG config file is in /home/(USERNAME)/.hyperion/config. Starting hyperion once with hyperiond should create a skeleton file there. Then Hyperion should be started with the config file like "hyperiond hyperion_main.json".

Once its started you can set your config with the web config. Go to "http://Http://IP-OF-PI-w-Hyperion:8090" Hypercon is no longer used with NG.

Hope it's of help

• Thanks Akriss.
    Now i know where to look for the configuration file.

I deleted my preivous config file to start from clear.
    I still have the same issue :

As hyperion is not able to start properly i am not able to access to the webUI
    I am running Ubuntu Server 16.04.

If someone has an idea to be able to start hyperion-ng :)

• Ok now i am able to start it, i did few modifications in the config file, you talked about the platform capture, so i take a look and disable all the capturing devices (framebuffer, etc.) and now i can start it and access the webUI.
    Is it possible to start hyperion-ng on boot ?
    When i used the hyperiond hyperion_main.json -d it still keeping my prompt and if i ctrl + c hyperion is stopped.
    Edit :
    Still working on it, i can set the udpe131 and specify the IP of my nodemCU ! I will test it as soon as i will receive the last part needed to finish the hardware :)
    In addition to the lunch issue of Hyperion, i have an issue with the grabber :

Code
    [hyperiond V4L2:/dev/video0] (ERROR) Frame too small: 670826 != 829440
    [hyperiond V4L2:/dev/video0] (ERROR) Frame too small: 672680 != 829440
    [hyperiond V4L2:/dev/video0] (ERROR) Frame too small: 725190 != 829440
    [hyperiond V4L2:/dev/video0] (INFO) Stopped

Is it possible to reduce the quality accepted ? I saw frame decimation and size but it seems that it don't have effect on this.
    Thx.

• Is it possible to start hyperion-ng on boot ?

Yes, you well need to create a systemd startup script. this web page should help with that. ( https://www.digitalocean.com/c…ystemd-services-and-units )

For reference this is my startup script that is in the file "hyperion.service":

(ERROR) Frame too small:

Lots of posts with info on the forums about this. It could be a simple setting or it could be the type of usb grabber in use. Search the forum for "Frame too small:" for some insight.

• Hello folks,
    So now everything seems to work as expected.

- Mynodemcu is working properly
    - My led strip is working perfectly
    I can test my install using the effects in the Espixel.
    - My Hyperion-NG is also working, thanks to your help.
    Hyperion-NG starts with my system using the systemctl
    I don't have the "frame too small" after swapping from STK1160 grabber to UTV007. ( i see the video steam in the webUI of hyperion-ng)

The last thing which is annoying is the following :
    I start manually the "USB capture" in the remote control menu, everything starts to work as expected (LED color is matching the videos on my TV) but after few minutes the led turns off and i have to manually stop and start the usb capture to make it work again, and same thing after few minutes.
    Hyperion is now set up in debug log level but there is nothing related to this in the log so i don't know what can be the issue and how to fix it.
    Do you have an idea about this ?
    Thanks

Ps : i did a test with light effects only for hours and it works without any issue (from nodemcu and from hyperion) so this is not related to the led.

Edit : my hyperion version is 2.0.0

• The last thing which is annoying is the following :

I fairly sure the dev's know about that. (https://github.com/hyperion-project/hyperion.ng/issues/491)

A couple of weeks ago I stumbled upon a "rework" alpha version that is in Brindosch git repository, This version seems to Not suffer from the usb drop out. (https://github.com/brindosch/hyperion.ngBeta/tree/rework)
    Remember that this is still alpha software, so help with it will be sparse.

• Hello Akriss,
    I tried with the rework version from Brindosch, i can see new options and improvement on the configuration pages but for the grabber at this time it is not better but i have logs that can explain this :

Code
    [hyperiond QTGRABBER] (ERROR) No displays found to capture from!

Code
    Version    2.0.0
    Build    rework (brindosch-c6467e3/d8a78f2-1519513935) Git Remote: https://github.com/brindosch/hyperion.ngBeta.git

My leds are turning on few seconds each 2-3minutes.
    My grabber configuration is the same as before :
    Platform capture : disabled
    Usb capture : enabled

• Sorry it's been working fairly well for me (except when changing values on some pages, seem to not update always. editing the config by hand works)

On aside note SciLor made a Hyperion ESP8266/ESP32 extension that works with classic version. It should be better supported because it works on a public release version of Hyperion and not on the pre Alpha versions.
    I have used it in the passed, it worked well. the updated release should work even better, I haven't tried, yet.
    https://hyperion-project.org/t…6-esp32-for-hyperion.3004

• Hi Akriss,
    Thanks, you are right, i will take a look on the amazing work of SciLor and try this solution using Hyperion stable version.
    I will work on another VM to be able to continue to test hyperion-ng.
    Which release are you using on your Rpi ?

• I have a quite few running. (when I say "I" I mean the one's I made for family and friends) Some are running the NG version and some run the public release version. The "Rework" version is on my main TV system now. And I'm gathering parts to test the new code from Scilor. :)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!