Powering 94 LEDs (WS2801) directly off the raspberry Pi 3 Zero (success)

• I have 94 LEDS on the WS2801 strip around my TV, and I have it all connected to my RPIZero, including the power, and it works. After some initial configuration issues (the video grabber would turn off after the Hyperion booteffect was used, so I just had to turn that off) it totally works. It's great, I've now saved a lot of space in my TV console.

I've attached an image of of my set up, note: I forgot to add the USB EasyCap and the USB power into the image, but both of those are plugged into the appropriate USB ports.

Anyway - I had always read that a dedicated power source was needed (10A 50W power brick) so I was wondering if this configuration could potentially destroy my Pi or something else. If I really should use a dedicated power supply for the LEDs, would a 5V 3A rPi charger be enough? I am assuming it would (since it appears to power my Pi, LEDs, and EasyCap), and that I would need a specialize adapter for the LEDs like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J1WZENK/

• I have 94 LEDS on the WS2801 strip around my TV, and I have it all connected to my RPIZero, including the power, and it works. After some initial configuration issues (the video grabber would turn off after the Hyperion booteffect was used, so I just had to turn that off) it totally works. It's great, I've now saved a lot of space in my TV console.

I've attached an image of of my set up, note: I forgot to add the USB EasyCap and the USB power into the image, but both of those are plugged into the appropriate USB ports.

Anyway - I had always read that a dedicated power source was needed (10A 50W power brick) so I was wondering if this configuration could potentially destroy my Pi or something else. If I really should use a dedicated power supply for the LEDs, would a 5V 3A rPi charger be enough? I am assuming it would (since it appears to power my Pi, LEDs, and EasyCap), and that I would need a specialize adapter for the LEDs like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J1WZENK/

So you using just 1 power supply to turn on the strip and the pi?

• Thats right, I did some calculations a couple weeks ago and I think I determined that with the right LED strip (generally the WS2801s) I might be able to power about 160 LEDs. I don't recall the exact number but I think I concluded that it was enough for a 55 inch TV.

• Thats right, I did some calculations a couple weeks ago and I think I determined that with the right LED strip (generally the WS2801s) I might be able to power about 160 LEDs. I don't recall the exact number but I think I concluded that it was enough for a 55 inch TV.

could you show me how you fix the wiring to use just 1 power supply?

hi,

i power my rpi3 and led strip with 1 power supply. But the thing is: I get the yellow electrical logo on the top of the display.

I am using an 15A power supply. Do you know what this could be?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!