Leds don't light up [hyperion + arduino + raspberry]

• Hello readers!

So I have followed this youtube tutorial, connected everything together and tried to get things works.

Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

All the initial problems were solved, for example:

- hyperion not starting up (fixed, by buying the correct usb grabber)
    - Kodi connection error (fixed, by enabling remote control in kodi)

My problem:

The leds just don't light up after the initial start. I've searched other posts having similar issues:

- https://hyperion-project.org/t…/leds-dont-light-up.3325/
    - https://hyperion-project.org/t…leds-not-responding.3264/
    - https://hyperion-project.org/t…ws2812-slow-updates.3173/
    - https://hyperion-project.org/t…rry-pi-with-arduino.2768/
    - https://hyperion-project.org/t…get-hyperion-to-work.709/

None helped and none provided any proper solution if the author managed to get it to work. He just "somehow got it", without providing any information which is frustrating.

I'm trying to set up 90 leds for start (i'd like to go as high as possible, because i have 3 led strips each having 300 leds).

I'm also posting my arduino sketch file and hyperion config along with the "sudo service hyperion status" command output.

I have also recorded with my phone what happens and taken the pictures of the connection.

[MEDIA=imgur]4cWdfGv[/MEDIA]
    [MEDIA=imgur]WICWFrU[/MEDIA]
    [MEDIA=imgur]e1Oiatd[/MEDIA]

Videos:

Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8rDcNHGUMM&feature=youtu.be

On video 1, i start the hyperion service manually, which causes the arduino to start the initial led strip light up, then it just stops. You can also see the green light on the arduino flashing when hyperion starts (it's the TX diode, i guess it receives traffic). After that, nothing happens.

I also played around with the BUADRATE and had no success as with the priority number of the USB grabber. The USB grabber works fine, because i tested the hyperion-v4l2 command with the "--screenshot" flag which gave me the picture of the movie i've played on my TV.

What i don't have connected is the HDMI switcher. I've seen that the code is checking which channel is active on the switcher but that's also it, nothing else is checking that parameter for actual functionality in the sketch code.

I would appreciate anyone helping me on this as i'm out of ideas what to actually change. Everything seems to be done properly, yet it doesn't work. Help!

• @Akriss PROGRESS!!!

Your words inspired me and i started tinkering around with the arduino sketch you provided. The main difference was me not connecting the right output PIN to the DATA of the LED strip. On the previous arduino sketch it was DATAPIN 10, but on this one i found out it's DIGITAL OUTPUT 6. So that was somewhat confusing but now clear..

BUT!

I face other issues now. As you can see on the videos i created, when hyperion is running and i'm watching a movie, NOT all the leds are working. It does not matter how many i config, from 90-540 (using 540 on videos, as high as possible).

So first of all, when the init program goes through ALL of the leds light up with full power, so there is NO issue in the led strip or voltage.

I downloaded an ambilight test video and as you can see on the video it works great but i still have some gaps present. But when i watch any other video, the ambilight is not working as expect. I expect all of the leds to be in some color.. not just partial.

What could be the issue here? I've upgraded hyperion to the latest version (1.03.4 - something like that) and still no improvement. Do i maybe need to make changes to the sketch file?

Is there any option to get the attention of @TPmodding, I see you are present on most of the threads and maybe you have some good advices!

On this video you can see the gaps and the last meters of the LED strip also has a delay catching up with the color.
    (The second gap is actually the second led strip being connected, that's normal and you can ignore that)

On this video you can see the movie and the led strip being really hollow.

Any ideas?

I'm glad to provide more information if needed.

• @TPmodding here you go, knight rider and some other effects i tried all work without problems. Maybe the refresh rate is not as smooth, but all leds work (no gaps).

• @Arakon hmm, could you provide more information on how can i set this black border?

I'm also seeing this message in hyperion service status:

Jun 20 22:00:43 osmcAllie hyperiond[1065]: BORDER SWITCH REQUIRED!!
    Jun 20 22:00:43 osmcAllie hyperiond[1065]: CURRENT BORDER TYPE: unknown=0 hor.size=0 vert.size=0

Could this be the issue?

---------------------------

Update #1:

I found this post: https://hyperion-project.org/w…order-Detection-Threshold
    will play around with settings and keep you posted if i improve anything! Meanwhile, feel free to suggest other solutions :D

• MADE IT! <3

It was indeed the blackborder settings. I honestly didn't knew i even need to config this as well.

Thank you @Akriss @TPmodding @Arakon for all the tips and hints!

I'm pasting my blackborder settings for anyone with similiar issues to try it out. I'm not saying it's perfect, but works for me.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!