Kodi addon rework - suggestions and feature requests are welcome

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hi,

Recently started learning Python which coming from .NET (Windows) world took some time but got the hang of it and decided as first project to start with the official Hyperion Kodi addon since that could use some attention.

What I've added so far:

• Delay support per refresh rate or global which for some TV panels is needed as their response times (ms) vary depending on refresh rate, deprecated old refresh rate setting as it messed with precision / timings
    • Removed old API calls / check during main loop, this improves performance and since we only push version for Kodi 17 and up in separate repo this will be fine (not in PR yet)

• Priority now gets cleared and removed 500ms expiry of message, this will help for somewhat buggy multiple instances where priorities 'hang' (leaving leds on)

See this PR for current overview: https://github.com/hyperion-project/hyperion.kodi/pull/31

Most of these ideas come from AtmoLight which works very well already with plenty of users, what we have planned next:

• Rework of settings / states by @Wolph (depending on free time)
    • New transparent logo as the white one isn't nice with certain themes (Aeon Nox for instance), maybe @Brindosch has one already?
    • Context menu for control, will be based on the way Super Favorites does it which while limited by API will allow for some functionality.

• Wizard for setup and discovery, can be done once Hyperion-ng is mainstream
    • Support state readouts and behaviour per state

If you guys have any features requests or ideas for improving just let us know :)

• Would be nice if kodi plugin have the ability to assign an action to a kodi state. It is more or less an extended version of kodichecker from hyperion, but not only grab on/off. Assigning effect, color, grabbing and led mapping type to specific kodi state should be possible.

The cool thing about this is we can remove kodi code from hyperiond. This means less maintenance for us.

• I'd love to see the add-on working with the kodi music visualization and perhaps also in the menus (changable through config?).

Something that would be really cool, was something like a hyperion own music visualization with the option to chosse if one just wants the add-on to work with the kodi build-in visualization (tv on) or with its own when the tv is switched of. But I guess thats probably that easy :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Added states support to the list, this is doable in Kodi API.

However Android we have no control over as it's an Kodi issue like @redPanther mentioned, basically with hardware acceleration on the method we use to grab the image returns nothing.
    Best thing we can do is kindly ask the Kodi developers to either:

- Give use a new hook into the renderer like we have in AtmoLight (Mediaportal) with onFrame events
    - Fix RenderCapture so that it works with all devices / platforms

First option is better as we can do onFrame events to make it precise and not have a loop we hope is in sync all the time (our current approach).

• Can you add Windows 10 Support? So we can use Hyperion, with just an Arduino and Kodi.

+1
    i would never use that junk (raspberry) to run a kodi server. ;)
    i have no idea how people are even using it to run a media server (unless they are watching 800x600 resolution videos) it would lag on 1080p or 4K streaming 10GB+ videos.

there are other solutions out there that do not require a raspberry though, just a Ardunio or an ESP8266 with windows is enough.. personally, would have like to use Hyperion, but unfortunately, that doesn't appear to be happening either any time soon. :(

• Windows support wont happen until we have somebody who port it to windows and take care about the windows specific code ...

I cant do it and I didnt want to do it. (My last windows was w98)

As alternative you can:
    - use any x86 or arm platform that runs a modern linux.
    - use a virtual machine e.g. in headless mode. Then you can run hyperion with windows grabber and leds connected via network or serial based leds (e.g. arduino with adalight protocol)
    - use windows linux subsystem, there are people out there who tested it positiv. But we dont support it (no resources).

A side note hyperion windows support has nothing to do with kodi plugin, please use another thread to discuss this topic ...

• Hey @Rick164 did this ever get issued out? I’m trying to drop MePo and on my Fire TV gen 2 box playback isn’t quite as smooth as it is with kodi addon off. wondering if this may improves things with the performance increase you mention.

Also did anyone request the kodi changes to them on their forums? I’m guessing you already have right?

Thanks!

• Well I was most curious about the additions Rick mentioned in his post initially. Are those changes already included in the version available for download or? I wasn't specifically referencing the official repo as much as the packaged version on github. I found if I reduce the FPS down to like 6 or 8 it runs much better, but FireTV seems reasonably beefy compared to machines I was running MePo plugin on and figured the comments about removing old api calls etc. might help up it a little (although it sure beats not having my lights working!).

Thanks

• Thanks. I updated from zip file and protobuf dependency was also installed.

I do have a question. I notice the FPS for grabbing have gone. I’m running this on a FireTv and usually had to turn this right down.. how to do that now?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!