4k HDR Capable HDMI Splitter (supposedly)

• I ended up removing the grabber, splitter etc from my setup cause it did not work perfectly for me. I was unable to find any cheap solution that would work with HDR and hence I am using the Windows Screen Grabber ( that I am working on: https://hyperion-project.org/t…dows-screen-grabber.1018/ ) with my PC.

The splitter I linked does support CEC and EDID management. The TV will also recognize it having ARC capability. However, ARC will not work. One thing that I learned while playing around with these things is that EDID management is that the splitter will never act as a signal convertor so if you connect two devices to it with different supported resolutions, one will not work.

• Thanks for the response.

Understood, I'm thinking (read as: praying to all the gods) I might be able to make it work with my configuration. ARC Isn't a concern for me since my shieldtv provides all the functionality from the TV I would need ARC for. I did pick up this thing (https://www.hdtvsupply.com/18gbps-repeater-4k-scaler.html) which I am hoping will solve any issues with the signal before it hits the convertor.. So hopefully all the pieces will fall into place for me!

Great work with the windows screen grabber also! I would love to figure out something for android but it presents a lot of problems.

• Thanks for the response.

Understood, I'm thinking (read as: praying to all the gods) I might be able to make it work with my configuration. ARC Isn't a concern for me since my shieldtv provides all the functionality from the TV I would need ARC for. I did pick up this thing (https://www.hdtvsupply.com/18gbps-repeater-4k-scaler.html) which I am hoping will solve any issues with the signal before it hits the convertor.. So hopefully all the pieces will fall into place for me!

Great work with the windows screen grabber also! I would love to figure out something for android but it presents a lot of problems.

Are you trying to do a real time grabbing of an Android screen?

• Hey diddy, did you have any trouble with the scalar turning on and off? My initial tests are not going very well unfortunately - the scalar lights up the '4k' in both the input and output and then turns itself on and off (at least what it seems like), causing the TV to go dark while it is cycling. I'm yet to see it actually scale a 4k signal to 1080p...

I assume you are using an HDMI -> RCA adapter, mind linking to the one you are using?

The one I have outlines support for 2160p, but it only supports it at 30hz... So maybe I need to grab one that only supports 1080p to make the scalar work as expected?

If not then I'm thinking I might need to try yet another splitter. ugh.

• No I didn't have that problem.

Using this one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New…ksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

• Gotcha, thanks for the quick response!

I just grabbed this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06W9LQDBB which seems to be the same product just rebranded.. Will update this when I get that in a couple days.

This project is exhausting me lol

• Hey do you have any advice to add getting this damn splitter and scalar to work? I just got the splitter outlined as being required for this scalar, and this shit just does not work. I have never seen the thing actually scale a signal, and have been thru a ton of different hardware now. I'm starting to think it is just defective. This shit is ridiculous.

• Hey do you have any advice to add getting this damn splitter and scalar to work? I just got the splitter outlined as being required for this scalar, and this shit just does not work. I have never seen the thing actually scale a signal, and have been thru a ton of different hardware now. I'm starting to think it is just defective. This shit is ridiculous.

On mine, the splitter edid is set to TV. Then power up the splitter and and scaler with the output hdmi on the scaler disconnected. With the shield turned on the blue link light on the scaler turns on and then the 4K input lights up and the 1080p output lights up. Having the 1080p to rca converter connected to the 4K scaler and powered up before the 4K scaler stops it from working properly I found.

• On mine, the splitter edid is set to TV. Then power up the splitter and and scaler with the output hdmi on the scaler disconnected. With the shield turned on the blue link light on the scaler turns on and then the 4K input lights up and the 1080p output lights up. Having the 1080p to rca converter connected to the 4K scaler and powered up before the 4K scaler stops it from working properly I found.

Thanks a ton man, I'll have to try that when I get back home!

I am pleased to say with - cautious optimism - that I think I'll be able to make a software grabber for android. All the pieces seem to be there and I'm doing my best to put them together.. Maybe I'll be able to recoup the shipping costs of all this damn hardware if I release a donation version :p

• Thanks a ton man, I'll have to try that when I get back home!

I am pleased to say with - cautious optimism - that I think I'll be able to make a software grabber for android. All the pieces seem to be there and I'm doing my best to put them together.. Maybe I'll be able to recoup the shipping costs of all this damn hardware if I release a donation version :p

No problem.
    That sounds awesome. Let me know how that goes, I'd be happy to donate.

• Hi Dave

Is there any confirmation that this splitter and downscaler combo that you have supports HDR?

I haven't got any confirmations yet. But if you think about it, supporting HDR for Hyperion would probably mean to covert 10-bit color signal to 8-bit. It will also required the device to remove the HDR instructions from the main signal. I haven't seen any cheap device that would do this.

• I haven't got any confirmations yet. But if you think about it, supporting HDR for Hyperion would probably mean to covert 10-bit color signal to 8-bit. It will also required the device to remove the HDR instructions from the main signal. I haven't seen any cheap device that would do this.

I'm going to get the same combo set Dave has and see if it works out with HDR. In the case that it doesn't I'll just settle without HDR and use it for 4K. I'll report back when it gets delivered.

• Best of luck - I have tried a ton of different devices and configurations (including the combo dave posted here) and none of it has worked for me. I honestly am at a loss because all the pieces are there and it still just doesnt work (cant get a signal to the pi at 4k even with 2 different scalers).

Please be sure to share your results!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!