4k HDR Capable HDMI Splitter (supposedly)

• No one will guarantee that, but this is the same device
    HDMI2 0 Recorder Commentary Compatible ezcap269
    And on producer website
    http://www.ezcap.com/index.php…ap269gamecapturelive.html
    You can download the manual there
    It is a UVC usb driverless device with linux support, amazon page says v4l2 support, so IT SHOULD WORK.

I could not find any confirmation if it strips the HDR data from the 1080p capture, but it is supposed to work with streaming services like twitch, but there isn't any such service with HDR support, so probably it strips HDR data, so no color issues.

• I just bought this, and I plan to experiment.

I also bought an HDFury DIVA so I can finally use dolby vision with my hue sync box.

Will report back.

• Interested myself if this thing will strip hdr properly, waiting for the report. DIVA will work without issues i guess, but the price.

I will try without DIVA and report back. I'd be very interested in seeing how it handles 24P sources. I haven't found a good HDMI2AV box that'll handle it right and sometimes that affects the lights. (I get a squished picture on the input)

• Well i try to eliminate any analog down the pipe and number of devices, so not worth going HDMI2AV anymore, it get quickly too advanced and those av analog boxed will die eventually so all digital setup IMO is much better, there also a lot of those 4k hdmi matrixes from china with hdr support and 1080p output, but they need checking too, digital is getting cheaper and cheaper.

• Interested myself if this thing will strip hdr properly, waiting for the report. DIVA will work without issues i guess, but the price.

Okay. So I got it the other day and I don't think it works. But its probably my pi not the device itself (I do not have a pi4 - which has USB3).

Here's the error
    ssh in: Feb 02 03:49:02 ProjHikari2 systemd[1]: Started Hyperion Systemd service.
    ssh in: Feb 02 03:49:02 ProjHikari2 hyperiond[393]: Hyperion Ambilight Deamon (393)
    ssh in: Feb 02 03:49:02 ProjHikari2 hyperiond[393]: Version : V1.03.5 (GitHub-66bef6b/fb413cd-1566231780
    ssh in: Feb 02 03:49:02 ProjHikari2 hyperiond[393]: Build Time: Aug 25 2019 10:39:29
    ssh in: Feb 02 03:49:02 ProjHikari2 hyperiond[393]: INFO: Selected configuration file: /etc/hyperion/hyperion.config.json
    ssh in: Feb 02 03:49:02 ProjHikari2 hyperiond[393]: HYPERION INFO: ColorTransform 'default' => [0; 91]
    ssh in: Feb 02 03:49:02 ProjHikari2 hyperiond[393]: HYPERION INFO: ColorCorrection 'default' => [0; 91]
    ssh in: Feb 02 03:49:02 ProjHikari2 hyperiond[393]: HYPERION INFO: ColorAdjustment 'default' => [0; 91]
    ssh in: Feb 02 03:49:02 ProjHikari2 hyperiond[393]: LEDDEVICE INFO: configuration:
    ssh in: Feb 02 03:49:02 ProjHikari2 hyperiond[393]: {
    ssh in: Feb 02 03:49:02 ProjHikari2 hyperiond[393]: "colorOrder" : "bgr",
    ssh in: Feb 02 03:49:02 ProjHikari2 hyperiond[393]: "name" : "HIKARI2",
    ssh in: Feb 02 03:49:02 ProjHikari2 hyperiond[393]: "output" : "/dev/spidev0.0",
    ssh in: Feb 02 03:49:02 ProjHikari2 hyperiond[393]: "rate" : 1000000,
    ssh in: Feb 02 03:49:02 ProjHikari2 hyperiond[393]: "type" : "apa102"
    ssh in: Feb 02 03:49:02 ProjHikari2 hyperiond[393]: }
    ssh in: Feb 02 03:49:02 ProjHikari2 hyperiond[393]: INFO: Creating linear smoothing
    ssh in: Feb 02 03:49:02 ProjHikari2 hyperiond[393]: HYPERION (CS) INFO: Created linear-smoothing(interval_ms=33;settlingTime_ms=150;updateDelay=0
    ssh in: Feb 02 03:49:02 ProjHikari2 hyperiond[393]: EFFECTENGINE INFO: 27 effects loaded from directory /usr/share/hyperion/effects
    ssh in: Feb 02 03:49:02 ProjHikari2 hyperiond[393]: EFFECTENGINE INFO: Initializing Python interpreter
    ssh in: Feb 02 03:49:03 ProjHikari2 hyperiond[393]: INFO: Hyperion started and initialised
    ssh in: Feb 02 03:49:03 ProjHikari2 hyperiond[393]: INFO: Boot sequence 'Rainbow swirl' EFFECTENGINE INFO: run effect Rainbow swirl on channel 0
    ssh in: Feb 02 03:49:03 ProjHikari2 hyperiond[393]: BLACKBORDER INFO: threshold set to 0.1 (26)
    ssh in: Feb 02 03:49:03 ProjHikari2 hyperiond[393]: BLACKBORDER INFO: mode:default
    ssh in: Feb 02 03:49:03 ProjHikari2 hyperiond[393]: started
    ssh in: Feb 02 03:49:03 ProjHikari2 hyperiond[393]: INFO: Json server created and started on port 19444
    ssh in: Feb 02 03:49:03 ProjHikari2 hyperiond[393]: INFO: Proto server created and started on port 19445
    ssh in: Feb 02 03:49:03 ProjHikari2 hyperiond[393]: terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::runtime_error'
    ssh in: Feb 02 03:49:03 ProjHikari2 hyperiond[393]: what(): VIDIOC_S_STD ERROR 25, Inappropriate ioctl for device
    ssh in: Feb 02 03:49:03 ProjHikari2 systemd[1]: hyperion.service: Main process exited, code=killed, status=6/ABRT
    ssh in: Feb 02 03:49:03 ProjHikari2 systemd[1]: hyperion.service: Failed with result 'signal'.
    ssh in: Feb 02 03:49:03 ProjHikari2 systemd[1]: hyperion.service: Service RestartSec=100ms expired, scheduling restart.
    ssh in: Feb 02 03:49:03 ProjHikari2 systemd[1]: hyperion.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 9.
    ssh in: Feb 02 03:49:03 ProjHikari2 systemd[1]: Stopped Hyperion Systemd service.
    ssh in: Feb 02 03:49:03 ProjHikari2 systemd[1]: hyperion.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
    ssh in: Feb 02 03:49:03 ProjHikari2 systemd[1]: hyperion.service: Failed with result 'signal'.
    ssh in: Feb 02 03:49:03 ProjHikari2 systemd[1]: Failed to start Hyperion Systemd service.

Diva is unable to strip Dolby vision for Hyperion purposes
    Only lldv from ATV
    It is possible could change with software update

Yeeah, I learned that one the hard way. :(

• Im not sure if the lack of usb 3.0 would make such issue, at least on basic connection level, it maybe will not work for capturing as the bandwidth is too small but should work for diagnostics.

First of all check if it is properly visible by the system not hyperion
    v4l2-ctl --list-devices
    And then check formats
    v4l2-ctl --list-formats-ext

Then maybe try hyperion-v4l2 --screenshot

The default v4l2 device should be at /dev/video0

Post all log result here

• Excuse the formatting, I was using the default cmd in win10.

It seems its in a codec that Hyperion (or V4L2) doesn't like

Log for hyperion

Solutions? Or is this device is just not gonna go?

• Well it looks good, it is working with the system, its under /dev/video0 and even /dev/video1 not sure why two, but ok.
    Looks like the grabber is fine, but i can see u are not using hyperon ng, but the original and to my knowledge, only hyperion ng supports MJPG encoding.
    Thats not the first hdmi to usb3 grabber i see that uses MJPG, it is more and more popular amongst modern hdmi2usb capture devices.
    Well if its not rpi4 then it would probably not work either way, but u could try and install hyperion ng just to check diagnostics, make a screen etc.
    Or if u have system with gui u can easily run vlc visually on pi and open the device as a capture card, vlc should have no issues supporting mjpg and showing u an image from the device and allow to easily change configuration to at least check if maybe it can work in lower resolution.

There was a similar issue on forum with ezcap and mjpg https://hyperion-project.org/threads/hdmi-grabber.3302/

U can just tinker here and there if u want and tell what u have found.

• Okay, I will install that version of hyperion.

Keep in mind, I'm not exactly familiar with linux and I'm not exactly a programmer, but I will do what I can, I'll report back if I hit a wall or get somewhere.

• @andrewj88
    Well i'm a programmer and sometimes work with linux, but i do not know all the available commands for hyperion and v4l2 exactly, so i look up forums or github if i need too.

But look at that, seems hyperion v1 also supports mjpeg and even more, someone added opencv grabber that can take most formats, i wasn't aware of this, but i do not know if it works out of the box or need to compile install yourself, but u can try and check if u didn't install ng already, just add the entries to the config according to that link.

But i think its not there as the install procedure downloads release from 25 08 and this was merged into master on 30 09, maybe Panther the dev can help u more.

Still if u have that gui, vlc is the simplest way to check if it actually send some images at least, but i think the grabber just works fine.

• I've got a copy of that ezcap 269. 4K 60 & HDR/30 works fine but rather as pass thru to the TV. For the grabber: HDR color conversion bt2020 to bt709 results in bleak colors. It's seems that they improved internal splitter in that device generation but the grabber is still the old one: 1080p.

Works with Rpi 3 on usb2.0 just fine. Anyway it simplifies connections because we can replace now ex. VSP01201 + utv007 + 3 HDMI cables (same problem with HDR colors) with just one ezcap 269 and two HDMI cables. Works with hyperion-ng out of box, has much better picture quality than utv007, no need to crop image because screen always fits captured frame and 1080/24 is not a problem anymore. Current price is $65 on ali with coupons.

HDR demo: HDR10-Sony-Bravia-OLED.mp4

• @rasp Nice, so this is a viable device.
    So the HDR strip doesn't work, can u provide comparative screens?
    Maybe it is not striping hdr, but the rest dont understand it and we get bleak colors, can u do a test, do everything as before, run a hdr test video, but connect the 1080p output to a hdr tv and check the colors.

• Screens attached to my previous post were captured while playing HDR movie on the TV. On TV everything was perfect: it detected 4k HDR content and notified me about it. So at least that device doesn't degrade movie quality on the display. Sound bitstream was also forwarded without problems.

Ezcap 269 was tested with the stand-alone mp4 file and mpc-hc.
    Below were taken from youtube for reference.

Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

• @rasp Thank u very much.
    Can you also check if the ezcap 1080p output using the same video as input has also washed out colors on the tv?
    There is a tiny chance it doesn't strip hdr and just downsamples to 1080p HDR but a hdr tv should be able to show the colors good, if thats the case, then it would mean it works but rpi with hyperion has an hdr issue.
    I mean why would anyone want a 1080p recording function with washed colors? Something is not right. And they advertise it just for that, recording 1080p without issues

• TV receives original 4K as passthrough and it's not downsampled to 1080 (it's downsampled only for the grabber). I have exactly same problem with VSP01201 + utv007 and HDFury linker that I've tested. And probably almost every Chinese matrix/splitter has it. The problem is for sure color transformation bt2020 to bt709 on the device. On the official page ( http://www.ezcap.com/index.php…ap269gamecapturelive.html ) there's only information that it's 4K HDR passthrough capable (and it's works on TV) and (not related) it records in 1080p. So it does... it forwards 4K HDR to the TV and records something in 1080p. If you can provide me mp4 test movie 1080 HDR I can test it but I doubt it can change something.

There is firmware update. It's seems it's only for their device and I can't flash it. It doesn't fit OEM version like Y&M.

• @rasp Ahh, my fault, but ok, still can be tested, just do not test it on hyperion or rpi.
    Im looking for a way to determine where is the issue as i cant verify if it is in hyperion or rpi or device itself.

It doesn't record anything on its own, you need to record it yourself with some software.
    So we need a way to test it without rpi or hyperion, thats what im trying to check.

Maybe you did already check it, im asking just to be sure.

The first method is just to preview the 1080p stream by using vlc or other capture software with hdr support (obs etc) and look at the colors and parameters the app provides, mpc-hc can open devices too. But this will not work sometimes if the pc screen is not a HDR screen, it depends if the software have a hdr to sdr mapping build in, i have also heard that linux has some issues with hdr, so windows is a better bet for this test. U can always connect the hdr tv to pc.

The second and better method is to record a short video simple of the capture, a direct one without any changes so it can be examined with other media software, just save it like it was captured, then you could even upload it so others can also check the parameters of it. (obs probably cant record in hdr)

Those test just needs some software tinkering.

EDIT
    Turns out also ffmpeg could record and preview in HDR and has many options to tinker.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!