4k HDR Capable HDMI Splitter (supposedly)

• These captured screens share typical HDR problem. New fix using LUT tables is on the way on github for testing. Or you can use the old trick with v4l2-ctl but the color reproduction is worse than new one.

Effects or fixed colors within Hyperion dont use grabber but they dont use settings in the imageprocessor either. So it says only that your leds are working correctly (as hardware) but it doesn't say anything about image processing settings for them. Check settings below to reduce brightness.

• These captured screens share typical HDR problem. New fix using LUT tables is on the way on github for testing. Or you can use the old trick with v4l2-ctl but the color reproduction is worse than new one.

Effects or fixed colors within Hyperion dont use grabber but they dont use settings in the imageprocessor either. So it says only that your leds are working correctly (as hardware) but it doesn't say anything about image processing settings for them. Check settings below to reduce brightness.

I'm looking forward for the fix!

I reduced the brightness to 1%. It's much better, but still far away from the colors shown on the TV. So I think I have to wait until the fix is merged.

Thanks once more :)

• 1% is way to low, something is not rigth and HDR patch as option will increase luminescence slightly. Calibrate your system on the SDR video first and try to adjust also other settings (gamma reb/blue/green play important role).

I also thought so. But since I didn’t manage to apply the v4l2-ctl settings that you shared as workaround, I thought this was expected.
    I’ll give it a try with SDR and see how it behaves.

• After you installed the package v4l2-ctl still doesn't work? could you attach your v4l2-ctl --all result?

Otherwise if v4l2-ctl changes brigtness/contrast/saturation on the Hyperion Live preview that means the problem is somewhere else for ex. image processing, LED calibration or maybe hardware.

• I manage to install v4l2-ctl now and could work with the settings! The image is more accurate now.
    The only downside is that dark images (Mostly gray) turns green on the LEDs. But as the discussion on this thread showed, the HDR image will never be 100% accurate based on the SDR image. I'm trying to accept that :(
    The settings that turned out good on my system was:

Code
    v4l2-ctl --set-ctrl brightness=80
    v4l2-ctl --set-ctrl contrast=255
    v4l2-ctl --set-ctrl saturation=80
    v4l2-ctl --set-ctrl hue=30
  • First of all screenshots you have attached before show typical images for that grabber (I have the same one). So Hyperion is receiving what you see on the live stream. The problem lies somewhere further and that causes that the LEDS are too bright. Or this is individual perception but the calibration should be done somewhere else, not in the grabber configuration because it's fine.

Not calibrated TV can also be suspected.

Incoming LUT correction doesn't have the problems you have mention, got some limitation for ex. dynamic luminescence missing but as it's static for all the content in HDR10 it can't change much even between different movies. But it wont work with that dark settings because too much details will be lost.

BTW with this setting you have caused de-saturation (default=128), HDR-in-SDR requires something opposite:

Code
    v4l2-ctl --set-ctrl saturation=80
  • I've also gotten myself an ezcap269, to use with my Shield TV (2019) and Philips 43PUS6503 TV, as I want to be able to watch 4k60 hdr and run Hyperion on a third device.

Now, everything sort of works but the ezcap does seem to provice some problems. I know this forum is about Hyperion, but it's one of the few if not the only place of active discussion regarding the ezcap269.

When I play for example Netflix on my Shield through the ezcap to the TV, I get 4k60, HDR10, rec2020/yuv420 video as reported by the TV. So far, so good. When I try to capture something from the ezcap, the Shield reduces video quality to either one of these..

1080p59, HDR, RGB
    4k30, HDR, RGB
    4k60, SDR, RGB

If I stop the capture and restart both the shield and the TV, it will again resume 4k60 HDR playback.

The ezcap is (for now) connected to my Ubuntu 16.06 laptop, when I hook it up to my Win10 desktop (because I thought it might have been lacking power) it actually immediately downgrades the quality without even turning capture on.

So in short: 4K60HDR throughput works fine if the pc's not doing anything, enabling capture reduces the throughput quality.

What's up with that? Or is this 'normal' behaviour? I have updated the firmware, although I find it hard to see to what version exactly..

Edit: I have also found that if I hook the ezcap up to power only, it's max throughput will be 1440p60, which is lower than when it's connected to my (not-capturing) Linux laptop..

• I have read most of the posts in this thread about the ezcap269 capture card, and I'm interested in getting one to use with my Nvidia Shield and LG OLED TV, but I'm still not sure if it supports watching DRM content (Netflix, Amazon, etcetera) with Ambilight in 4K HDR 60hz, without issues (and without any other type of hardware). @MartijnGP where you able to find a solution for your issues?

HyperHDR & HASS on Raspberry Pi 4 | 4K 4:4:4 Grabber 60hz | Wemos D1 Mini - 221 LEDS (WLED UDP) | LG OLED55B6V | Denon AVR-X3700H | Nvidia Shield Pro | PlayStation 4 Pro

• @Marcos V.
    i have the same exact problem you have.

Dark scenes turn green and the LEDs are too bright to boot (even though the preview picture looks perfectly fine in the WebGUI). I am not sure but i think both issues are connected: since the LEDs are too bright to begin with , when the picture shifts to a dark scene (on screen) , hyperion doesn't turn off the LEDs but tries to find a matching color, which it can't and so darkish-green-grey-brown-tones which it cannot accomodate will be displayed as green/blue/red (correct me if i am wrong).

What's more , in really dark scenes i get some irritating flickering with APA-102 LEDs seemingly not being able to decide which color they should adapt (this is a general problem with the external grabber on my setup though -- even though level shifter and everything is in place. Plus it also happens to another instance of WLEDs connected via Wifi on an ESP)

unfortunately turning down the brightness in image processing only protracts the problem described above to when brighter scenes are shown on screen.
    so ironically the only solution i found was to actually turn up the brightness (i.e. threshold for white) or activate background lighting. This way the LEDs unfortunately never turn off completely but the flickering and the weird colors are almost gone due to there always being a dim white glow.

my v4l2 device is configured YUYV but also capable of MJPEG recording according to v4l2-ctl. I saw that Awawa's ezcap runs MJPEG. So i bought an ezcap69 just to try it out. However the problem was exactly the same. Then i noticed that my ezcap69 also reported as recording in YUYV.

now i tried to switch from YUYV to MJPEG recording via

Code
    ./hyperion-v4l2 --pixel-format MJPEG

but it always returns

Code
    Error: MJPEG is not a valid option for pixel-formatUsage: ./hyperion-v4l2 [options]

which is weird because this is exactly as it is described in --help and if i use any other variable YUYV, UYVY, RGB32 the command is accepted.

so i guess my question is, can anyone tell me how to switch to mjpeg recording in hyperion?

• Try

Code
    v4l2-ctl -v pixelformat=MJPEG

before hyperion-v4l2 has started.

I have read that ezcap269 only offers MJPEG on USB2.0.

greetings pclin

Dreambox ONE / TWO

dreamOS OE2.6

Amlogic S922X - 53.000 DMIPS - 2 GB RAM - 16 GB Flash - Twin-DVB-S2X Tuner - HDR10 - HLG
    -
    AudioDSP: miniDSP 2x4HD - Amp: Pentagon - Lautsprecher ELAC / ARENDAL
    LG OLED65BX9LB (PicCap, hyperion.NG webOS)

FireTV 4K max

-
    hyperion (classic) & Plugin HyperionControl | hyperion-ng 2.0.16-beta.1 (dreamOS)
    Hyperion-ng (Debian bullseye)
    -
    6 x ESP32/Wemos D1 mini - WLED - SK6812 RGBW-NW 60 LEDs/m
    FeinTech VSP01201 - Grabber Macrosilicon

LG TV Hyperion webOS & PicCap

snoozer_likelinux_manvtkns.gif

Ambilight for ever

• thanks for the reply. i have tried that already but as soon as i start hyperion after that the settings revert to YUYV

BUT i think i found a solution: After trying out

Code
    ./hyperion-v4l2 --pixel-format RGB32

v4l2-ctl --all now indeed reports MJPEG recording after restarting hypeiron (with a much higher CPU load too which was expected i guess). However it somehow didn't adapt hyperion's resolution settings et al and set resolution to (default?) 640x480 so i am not quite sure what's going on..Will do some more test on the color/brightness performance tonight

• I seem to be having a problem with my nvidia shield too - it starts off fine at 4k SDR, but once I try to run HDR through it, it downgrades to 1080p.

I've emailed the company to see if they have a firmware update... It seemed to work fine when I was using Odroid C4 running CoreElec.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!