Installs fine but stuck on reboot

• Hello everybody and first of all thanks to all the contributors of this wonderful project.
    I've been using Hyperion for a year now on my RPi3 running Libreelec 7.0.3 and it has been a wonderful experience with no problems whatsoever. I decided yesterday to upgrade to Libreelec 8.0.2 but the whole thing crashed unfortunately. I flashed a fresh Libreelec image using Noobs and using HyperCon I tried to install Hyperion using the standard procedure (SSH etc) and even though it said that Hyperion was successfully installed, I rebooted and I saw the rainbow "splash" from my LEDs, on the next reboot it will not start kodi. It will just stay on the black screen with the Libreelec logo and it won't go on from there.
    Any idea why this is happening? I am on mobile at the moment so I can't upload the configuration json file, but I will do that asap along with the log file for someone to have a better idea of my problem.

Thanks in advance
    FilthX

• I had that happen to me one before. However, when I rewrote Libreelec to the SD card and tried installing Hyperion again all went well. Strangely enough the SD card failed about a month or so later. So perhaps in my case I was just seeing the death throws of the SD card.

The Libreelec team recently updated their “LibreELEC USB-SD Creator” ( libreelec.tv/downloads/ ) It might work better then the Noobs SD creator.

Some ideas that may help, I hope.

• Thanks for your reply mate, and I must say that I was very suspicious of an SD corruption, so I used another, brand new one but I had the same issues. Also tried with OSMC but again it would refuse to work. I will try the new SD creator and see if it was a noobs problem even though I doubt it since the working system was also based on noobs. Will let you know anyway. Cheers!

• OK, spent the last couple of days trying to resolve this issue. Tried with the Libreelec SD creator and with a clean NOOBS installation but it will not work. After I install Hyperion using HyperCon and the first reboot, I will try to send my configuration file but it will not transfer it to /storage/.config. I can copy the file manually using WinSCP and Hyperion will work. After a reboot it will stop working and it will be just stuck on the Libreelec logo. I can ping the machine but SSH is not up yet..

The link contains the SSH output
    [MEDIA=pastebin]S37FcAwq[/MEDIA]

The link contains my hyperion.config.json
    [MEDIA=pastebin]ygbpaReZ[/MEDIA]
    Thanks in advance

Edit: If I comment out the loading of hyperion in autostart.sh, libreelec boots fine. If I start it manually by typing
    /storage/hyperion/bin/hyperiond.sh /storage/.config/hyperion.config.json > /storage/logfiles/hyperion.log 2>&1 &
    hyperion shows the rainbow splash and works ok but I am experiencing severe lag on kodi.

What could it be?

• How are the LED's connected? Are you using an arduino or directly connect SPI pins on the Rpi?

Your config seems to be missing an Output line for the LED's

• I have the same exact issue on OSMC (since the may update, I guess). It persists on hyperion.NG as well as the stable one. If hyperion is off – everything works. If on – it doesn't boot or (if started after boot) the lag is huge and it makes machine completely unusable.

Unfortunately, I have no idea for a fix.

As for troubleshooting, my config is: RPi 3 with WS2812 LEDs (3-wire PWM ones).

• Have you tried "ws2812spi" as a devise type instead of "ws281x"?

What pins are the leds attached to on the RPI? If the above is not the remedy it for you.

• Have you tried "ws2812spi" as a devise type instead of "ws281x"?

What pins are the leds attached to on the RPI? If the above is not the remedy it for you.

I've tried this method now.
    So, at first my LEDs were connected to GPIO 18 (PIN 12) and after change to ws2812spi nothing worked (of course). So I switched pin to GPIO 10 (PIN 19) and then LEDs were working but not properly because it started blinking white every few seconds. So I switched back.

However, I don't know if it resolves this lag/boot issue because I am still on the not on the updated machine.

EDIT: I tried it with stable hyperion, not NG.

• So I switched pin to GPIO 10 (PIN 19) and then LEDs were working but not properly because it started blinking white every few seconds.

Do you have a resistor on the data line? A resistor on the data line usually fix that.

I'm running out of ideas how to help.
    I have a Rpi3 with libreelec 8.0.2 and the release version of Hyperion, with ws2812b's led's. However I'm using a aurdino nano clone to drive the led's. I completed that setup about two weeks ago. It works. I downloaded a fresh copy of Libreelec and Hyperion/Hypercon then. *Shrug* However, I like a good puzzle.

• Do you have a resistor on the data line? A resistor on the data line usually fix that.

I'm running out of ideas how to help.
    I have a Rpi3 with libreelec 8.0.2 and the release version of Hyperion, with ws2812b's led's. However I'm using a aurdino nano clone to drive the led's. I completed that setup about two weeks ago. It works. I downloaded a fresh copy of Libreelec and Hyperion/Hypercon then. *Shrug* However, I like a good puzzle.

Yes I do have a resistor. There was no problem with blinking on ws2801x led device set. So I think it may be config-related or something like that.

Maybe @FilthX will come to a solution.

Nevertheless, thanks for help!

• Hey guys, thanks for your input. Unfortunately no progress has been made. Tried all of your suggestions and nothing still the same problem. I have no issue with blinking lights and the setup is done like this:
    https://www.instructables.com/…perion-on-Raspberry-Pi-w/
    apart from the fact that I was using Libreelec and not OSMC. It is working fine with Libreelec 7 and before that with Openelec of the same kodi version (16.x) so I can speculate it has somehing to do with the new kodi base and possible configuration changes. I have to say that last night I tried to update the working hyperion installation using HyperCon and also manually using the script. I was getting an SSL errror when it would download the latest release. Not sure which version I have to be frank... How can we check the hyperion version we have installed?

I would hope someone from the developers team to give us some help but I think everyone is on vacation...LOL

• Hey guys, thanks for your input. Unfortunately no progress has been made. Tried all of your suggestions and nothing still the same problem. I have no issue with blinking lights and the setup is done like this:
    https://www.instructables.com/…perion-on-Raspberry-Pi-w/
    apart from the fact that I was using Libreelec and not OSMC. It is working fine with Libreelec 7 and before that with Openelec of the same kodi version (16.x) so I can speculate it has somehing to do with the new kodi base and possible configuration changes. I have to say that last night I tried to update the working hyperion installation using HyperCon and also manually using the script. I was getting an SSL errror when it would download the latest release. Not sure which version I have to be frank... How can we check the hyperion version we have installed?

I would hope someone from the developers team to give us some help but I think everyone is on vacation...LOL

Since you ask, then you are on a stable version ;) However you can check your version by typing in command line (or SSH) hyperion-remote and it just prints out.

• Well all I get is:
    ##############################################
    # LibreELEC #
    # http://libreelec.tv #
    ##############################################

LibreELEC (official) Version: 7.0.3
    LibreELEC:~ # hyperion-remote
    -sh: hyperion-remote: not found
    LibreELEC:~ #

But of course Hyperion is installed and working fine...

• Thanks a lot for that info but I am having difficulty understanding what I should do. Could you please explain? (Sorry for my total noooooooooobness)

do total reinstall (as assumed – file system is corrupted) and then while creating hyperion.config.json, add (before launch!) to the "device" configuration therein additional parameter:
    "dmanum" : 10

I didn't try it but it seems to work because on my machine the issues were strongly connected so I think it was actually one issue.
    However, for your safety, backup your working SD card.

If it doesn't work, you can try with ws2812spi device type but it voids RPi warranty (as you need to add force_turbo=1 parameter to the /boot/config.txt file to make it work properly, at least it was needed in my case) and changing data GPIO pin to 19 (GPIO 10 as I remember).

• do total reinstall (as assumed – file system is corrupted) and then while creating hyperion.config.json, add (before launch!) to the "device" configuration therein additional parameter:
    "dmanum" : 10

I didn't try it but it seems to work because on my machine the issues were strongly connected so I think it was actually one issue.
    However, for your safety, backup your working SD card.

If it doesn't work, you can try with ws2812spi device type but it voids RPi warranty (as you need to add force_turbo=1 parameter to the /boot/config.txt file to make it work properly, at least it was needed in my case) and changing data GPIO pin to 19 (GPIO 10 as I remember).

Thanks man, will try it when I get home and let you all know about my findings. In the first case where we add the dmanum:10 parameter in the configuration do we have to change GPIO pin? You don't mention something like that, but just to be on the safe side.

• Thanks man, will try it when I get home and let you all know about my findings. In the first case where we add the dmanum:10 parameter in the configuration do we have to change GPIO pin? You don't mention something like that, but just to be on the safe side.

No, no. If you try the first solution, you remain on the same GPIO pin. DMA is, as I understand, some kind of a channel of communication only to make devices, controllers etc. not interfere each other.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!