Hyperion leads to ext4-fs errors?

• So I have been using Hyperion with OSMC and Kodi for a few months with no real problem.
    After the last Kodi update the system couldn't boot anymore and showed a lot of ext-4-fs errors (journal interrupted):

So I thought that the SD Card is damaged. Removing it and trying to fix it on another system with fsck brought nothing. So I reinstalled everything using OSMC 2017.07-1 and it all worked - until I installed hyperion.

If hyperion is running - the system cannot boot, there are ext4-fs errors, connection vis SSH is impossible, the system is completely unresponsive. If I remove the SD card and delete the configuration file from /etc/hyperion, so that the service cannot start, everything works fine.

Once I put the json file back, everything crashes again.

I have not changed the json file since February. It seems that something makes hyperion incompatible with the new OSMC release...

Any help would be much appreciated.... Thank you!

• There is no power issue because the power supply I am using has a lot of power reserve. Furthermore I already tried powering the Raspberry from a phone charger, just to see if anything changes.

My setup is accorging to this tutorial: https://hyperion-project.org/wiki/3-Wire-PWM

I am using the driver for "ws281x":

Code
    "device" :
      {
      "name"  : "MyPi",
      "type"  : "ws281x",
      "colorOrder" : "grb",
      "leds"  : 189
      },
  • Ok. It's officially not the SD card.

First of all, the current SD card had no errors:

Secondly, I tried with another brand new SD card - still the same.

And finally, I tried all different OSMC Versions (2017.07-1, 2017.06-1, 2017.05.2) and it was still the same. However, one I installed the March version 2017.03-1 it worked like it used to. No problem with hyperion.

So clearly there is something in the newer versions of OSMC that lets hyperion crash the system.

Any help would be much appreciated....

• Version : V1.03.3 (brindosch-2fbbcff/2f01dfa-1495880388

• No, it's a secret !

Seriously tho, the rpi281x driver is a bit of a hack. It has to hit the hardware directly to do its magic as it's really abusing the analog audio hardware to drive leds.

The pwm audio hardware needs a dma channel to automatically feed data without the CPU having to do much work.

The problem is there only a dozen dma channels and there doesn't appear to be a way to reliably determine which are in use by the OS plus, they sometime change with different OS and firmware versions.

The default DMA 5 has been safe for a few years and DMA 10 now seems a safer choice as the SD card controller seems to be using 5 now.

I wrote the ws2812_Spi driver as a much safer replacement but it means you need to change your gpio pin

• Just wanted to add, if anyone else experiences issues and that setting does not solve it (and something to double-check first) is that you're using the right gauge wires. Especially when hooking the frame grabber directly to the Pi instead of a powered hub.

Ran into this issue a week or so ago where the last bit of wire was inadequate for the amperage. All other projects I had used a powered hub and it took me quite a while to diagnose the issue.

Glad to read this, however, as I am partial to the 281x and did not know of that setting. Thanks!

• Hi guys - thanks for this. Took a while to find though!

Hyperion is working again with dmanum 10 but after hyperion starts, my pi falls of the network and only a reboot fixes it and even then, I have about 30 seconds before it blocks me again (ssh/ip)

This is a real pain as I can't turn the leds off now!

Any ideas why this happens?

Thanks all

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!