Beiträge von Biggles

I already have an Arduino Uno, should I get the ws2812b and use the Arduino? Or should I buy the more expensive apa102? Is it worth nearly 3x the price of the ws2812b?

I haven't tried any 2812b but if you buy from the likes of AliExpress you should be able to find apa102s for around £35 for 5m of 60 LEDs/m. Not a lot more in the scheme of things for what is generally considered the best and potential headache free installation, your money though obviously.

I was in your position 6 months ago, asking myself much the same questions, here's my take...

1. Code now is really APA102 or 2812b, the only definite advantage of the latter is they can be much cheaper. In theory, the APA102s are simpler to set up and going by the posts on here more problems are had with the 2812b although a lot of those seem to be down to user error and poor wiring. If you buy APA102s direct from China you can get them for a reasonable price, which is what I went for.

2. Most of the guides recommending 30/m were written when 60/m were still very expensive but as to which is best depends on your set up. If your tv is very close to the wall 60/m will give you smoother colour as they create more overlap, as you move away the light can spread more so the advantage lessens.

3. The LEDs will only draw as much power as they need so that's not a problem, it when people try to get away with too small a supply that you get problems.

Probably cheaper and certainly a lot easier to get a pi zero w just to run hyperion and install on the back of the TV and keep your main pi with the receiver, let them talk to each other over the network.

This is great! I didn't know that. I'm returning the arduino and buying the pi zero wifi instead. Can you give me a link or direct info on how to connect (physical) etc?

Thanks again!!

Wim

No probs, couple of ways of doing it, this one...

https://hyperion-project.org/wiki/3-Wire-PWM

... And there's a different way using SPI that the ever helpful penfold42 created but I don't think that's been officially documented, definitely been discussed on the forum though.

I believe I was incorrect. I think I needed the arduino because of the type of led I chose, the ws2813.

You don't need an Arduino between the pi and strip for 2812b and it's kin anymore. If you got a pi zero w you could connect it directly to the strip running Hyperion and then you'd have a wireless connection between Kodi on your PC and the pi. This is how mine is set up though I used an apa102 strip instead

Unless I misunderstood, most of your problems seem to have revolved around getting the pi talking to the Arduino, hence my reply :)

Your port numbers don't appear to be whole numbers ie 19.444 and 19.445, they should be 19,444 and 19,445, as in nineteen thousand, four hundred... rather than nineteen point four...

Oh OK :) Though you do the main part of IP addresses before the colon the 'proper' way?

Yeah Biggles i meant emulated hue, it was late when i posted. But yeah very easy to setup for a noob, good starting point just to control things with alexa. @penfold42 wish i had a geek brother who gave me things lol

Assumed that was what you meant :) it was aimed at the OP as an easier starting point than HA-Bridge if you were going to do Home Assistant anyway.

if you just want to turn it on and off and have homeassistant there's a component for hyperion, then activate the hue_bridge and this lets you say, alexa turn off hyperion.

Yep, works for me and I use emulated_hue as there's virtually nothing to do to set it up. Alexa and Harmony then automatically pick it up so I can shout at it, press a button as well as have it as part of an automation.

Your port numbers don't appear to be whole numbers ie 19.444 and 19.445, they should be 19,444 and 19,445, as in nineteen thousand, four hundred... rather than nineteen point four...

I have mine automated via home assistant. If it's after sunset and it senses the TV turn on by detecting it on the network it turns on the power supply which boots the pi and auto starts Hyperion. When it senses the TV turn off it sends a script to the pi to shutdown and a minute later turns the power supply off.

Yes, but you have to admit, this was not the question, of course you could bild X bridges in between. But if you use hyperion and openhab, you want hyperion and openhab :)

No, you missed the point. If it is already working in home assistant the op can see how they did it and perhaps adapt for openhab as others have done in the opposite direction for other components. That's the beauty of open source after all.

Equally he might fancy moving everything over as many openhab users seem to be at the moment.

You've got very long data wires which may not help and I assume those joints aren't just twisted together?

Confused why you have power to the pi from both the power supply and a usb port on the TV. It's unlikely the TV supplies enough power over usb to run the pi reliably and I believe by doing that there's a chance the strip may try to pull power from the pi which will fry it.

If your pi is setup and working correctly, my money is on the state of your wiring.

If you don't think your soldering is up to much is that possibly where your problems lie?

Most people who need a level shifter have done so because it's not behaving properly rather than not working at all which is your issue.

I actually put a level shifter on my apa102s but they worked fine without, it was more a belt and braces thing as it only cost a few pence and I like making things :)