Beiträge von Dan1984

Thanks so much for your detailed responses last night jeroen! And also davieboy for your additional input. That all really helps me a lot much better understanding how the setup works.

@jeroen warmerdam and @davieboy commenting on your last two post respectively, so just I understand you right: You are saying if I want to srun both board and LEDs with one PSU, i should use a micro usb cabel with a micro usb to usbc adapter running directly from the 18A PSU which I also use for the LED and then plug this into the USBC port of the Pi4? That means I could also forgo some of the wires in TPmodding diagram which powers the Pi over the GPIO pins correct?

Thanks

Thanks so much Jeroen, much obliged. This works!! If you allow me some follow up questions so i just "understand" better why I did this:

(1) For a basic functionality and given that the Pi is now powered by its own charger I would have assumed that I only need two wires from the Pi to the LED's, namely the clocking and data wire. The LED strip would then just need a GND and +5V from the second PSU (18A). In principal I would have thought this is enough for it work. So (a) What is the reason for additionally having the LEDs connected with the ground pins on the pi board and (b) what is the reason to have the 18A PSU 5V+ connected to the 3.3V of the Pi board (i thought the Pi is now being powered by its own charger)?

(2) What is the reason people here do not recommend to have the Pi powered by the same PSU as the LED's. Ideally I would still like to work with just the one PSU. What Pins on the Pi would i need to hook up with a positive and negative wire from the PSU to power the Pi without the USBC charger (just for my own understanding)?

Many thanks for all the help, i really do appreciate it a lot!

can you make it with this?

let us know if the thing works :thumbup:

Thanks Jeroen. I thought I Def need a level shifter for the data wires.?

If I use the raspberries own USBC PSU in addition can I not loose any wires in tpmoddings diagram since his wiring setup also has the pi4 powered from the same source? I do not want any unnecessary wires.

Thanks guys for all the good answers. I must admit though I'm a bit overwhelmed with guidance in written form as how to best wire my pi4 with the level shifter and apa102 strip. Adding to the confusion is that they are so many different wiring diagrams on this forum. Now it also sounds like I should not run LED and board from my 18 A PSu but use the separate USBC charger for the board (even though tpmodding draw a diagram extra for that purpose-it still is my preferred setup unless the common recommendation is not to). Would it be too much to ask if one of you could draw me a final diagram in how to best connect the pi4 to levelshifter and apa102 strip? As said I don't have much experience when it comes to electrical engineering and I don't want to break anything. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks jeroen, that basically sounds like the first setup I had (that TPmodding posted above and reattached here). Would you say this is what I need? It seem to work. However, under Librec Kodi it shows the lightning symbol in top right corner which indicates the board does not get enough power. I have a 5V, 18A PSU so this is why i was inquiring here above alternative wiring. Any idea what causes this? I am using common breadboard jumper cables which i thought should be sufficient to power the Pi4? When plugging in an USB C power adapter in addition the lightning symbol disappears but ideally I like to run both LED's and the board from my 18A PSU. ANy help is much appreciated as I am quiet a novice when it comes to this things.

Hi,

I'm pretty new to this but I followed the wiring diagram TPmodding posted for using one PSU to power strip and Pi4 and I got hyperion working. One thing I like to understand though is what is the connection between PIN1 and PIN4 for? What does it do and is it actually required for this setup?

Many thanks in advance!

https://www.google.com/search?…w=1584&client=firefox-b-d

at least you need one common ground connection between all psu

Hi Jeroen,

Thanks a lot for your reply. Much appreciate it. Further comments:

(3) I am currently also building a Lightsaber with addressable Neopixels and in that community everyone calculates with 60mA per Led that is why I used this number but I am just going to plan conservatively then. Any advise on thickness for the wires?

(4) The 4 line ledstrips are also more expensive. Is the difference in lag "very" noticeable between the 3 line and 4 line strips? Yeah I already got a levelshifter with 4 channels so that should not be a problem.

Hi everybody,

I searched this forum for over a week and it helped me answering a lot of questions but some stuff I am still struggling to figure out.

I am new to this and like Dan (my namesake) I am getting everything together for my first built. I do not want to use an external grabber and initially only plan to run the LED's via Kodi/ Hyperion.ng (internal grabber) in the Pi. I will have c.3 m total LED strip length (I like to use 60 LED's per meter strips) around the TV but since I do not have space behind the TV for the Pi or a power unit I will also have c. 2m cable from the PI and the LED powersource to the LED's behind the TV.

I received the the raspberry 4 (4GB) today, installed LibreElec and am currently installing Hyperion.ng via the script provided here: https://hyperion-project.org/t…ziell-unofficially.10463/

I still need to get the LED strips, LED power supply and cables of correct gauge and have a few questions the community here may be able to help me with.

(1) RGB vs RGBW (natural white) LED strips: The latter need less amps to show proper white but I read in a lot of amazon customer reviews that the Blue LED kinda activates the white LED at the same time and thus there is not deep blue with these LED's and it looks more like a sky blue. Anyone has experience with RGB vs RGBW strips and could recommend one over the other?

(2) I saw Dan asked this a few times but did not get a real answer on this. I am wondering the same. What is the benefit of having an external controller attached to the LED strip which itself is then connected to the Pi. I get this if you want to have the LED's controlled via wifi but what is the benefit (if any) if the controller is hooked up directly to the Pi? Eventually, would you recommend a controller or just connect the LED's directly to the Pi if one is not bothered about Wifi connection? I like to keep the setup as simple as possible

(3) If I am not wrong for calculating power supply I would need to plan with 10.8 Amps just for the LED's (60 LED's/mtr * 3m * 60mA = 10.8 Amps) but I also need to account for loss of voltage within the LED strip plus the 2m power cable from the power supply to the LED's. I plan to connect/ branch out power to the LED strips every 1m to reduce loss of voltage. So my question: How many Watts/ Amps do I need for my power supply and what cable Gauge would you recommend for a) from Power Supply to LED terminal (c. 2m), b) from Power Terminal behind TV to my 3 soldering locations on the LED strip (c. 50cm each and i like to keep the wires as thin as possible here) and c) for my data line from the Pi to the LED strip (c. 2m).

(4) If I am going for LED strips with a separate line for CLOCK (is it necessary?) would I still need a level shifter for the data line and would I also need a level shifter for the clock line?

Every help is much appreciated.

Thank You!