Beiträge von YamiPrem

Hi,

Just curious what smoothing settings long term users are using and if they have adjusted overall brightness at all.

I can't make my mind up of I want 100ms, 150ms or 200+ms smoothing speed. I have the Hz numbers at 60. Dunno if I see any difference though.

Brightness I have not touched but I may as I feel my 60 LEDs/meter is quite bright, mostly more brighter than the TV display itself.

Hi,

I understand this is a common problem due to the capture cards displaying a test screen (rainbow bars) when it receives no HDMI signal, but Hyperion is unable to distinguish this and continues to produce LED colour accordingly.

I have tried the signal detection option but it works until it runs into video with black bars (which is all movies really!). It turns off the LEDs as if it thinks there's no signal.

So for now, just using the Dashboard to turn on and off the instance.

I would like to hear how people are dealing with this.

Thanks.

Hi there,

I watched this video and decided to give this a go:

Externer Inhalt youtu.be
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

I did a test run using some WS2812B I had remaining from another project. I just used Hyperion Screen Capture on my Windows 10 PC and everything looks awesome and works fine.

I will set this up for my main TV which only takes a PS4 Pro as input. I have ordered more LEDs and appropriate power supply and a pack of 100 ohm resistors.

Questions:

1) Is a 100 ohm resistor helpful to have in the data line between Pi and LEDs? In an Arduino project I just completed using WS2812B LEDs, it was pretty much a must to have a 200-300 ohm resistor on data line. Similar situation here? I saw someone mention in a thread few years ago about the benefits of having a resistor. No harm in having, right?

2) The capture card the video links and what seems very popular for this project does not output in compliance with HDCP 2.3 and only does 1.4. This prevents 4K Netflix on my PS4 Pro using the loop back output.

Is there any suitable capture card or alternative method I can perhaps do instead to meet my needs?

Thanks!

Hi

I am also following the above YouTube guide and have it running and working on my Windows PC using the Hyperion screen capture.

I have ordered all the parts (WS2812B LEDs, power supply, etc).

I am only going to be using with one source, my PS4 Pro so don't need a HDMI switch, yet. You linked a switch, not splitter btw. But don't think you'll need a splitter so the product in link seems correct if you have multiple HDMI sources.

The capture card on video is pretty much the same one you bought and it seems it's a common pick as nice and cheap and gets job done. I received mine today and wanted to test the loop back on it and sadly I am going to return it. Issue is, it only outputs at HDCP 1.4 as opposed to 2.2/2.3 which Netflix on PS4 Pro requires for 4K content.

So make sure this is something you are aware of as can't find any mention of it anywhere surprisingly.

I am now shopping for a compatible capture card.

I go with the general rule of thumb that each LED will require 0.06A of current at max brightness so 10A should be enough unless you are watching pure white screens a lot? ?

And yes, do make sure to have a common ground. Just run a cable from a ground pin on the Pi to ground on your new power supply.

Good luck. It's well worth the effort!

Edit:

This isn't mentioned much but it's sometimes recommended to add a 100 ohm resistor on the data line between the Pi and first LED. I think to prevent damage to data pin but I don't think it's necessary.