Beiträge von Puck

Can you guys think of an hyperion setup that matches my needs (CEC, 4K, HDR, Prime Video and Netflix compatible) and doesn't cost more than 200€? If there is, I would really re consider. I would love to use the built in apps from my smart TV, but I could give up on that.

I guess it depends on what kind of hardware you already have and what quality you expect. Especially HDR is hard since it can seemingly only be done with HDFury hardware. But there are affordable options to get most of it working.

I am using a 50 euro HDMI grabber (might be even cheaper on Ali) + ~30 euros worth of LEDS+WLED+Power. Already had a Raspberry Pi 4 (running Home Assistant for automation next to HyperHDR). This works with 4k 60hz content and HDR is passed to my LG OLED TV as well (no Dolby Vision though). HyperHDR "converts" any HDR signal to SDR so Ambilight has brighter/more accurate colors. All content I play on my Nvidia Shield works with Ambilight, including Netflix, Prime, Disney+.

So what does not work is the following:
    - Real HDR conversion. HyperHDR mimics this using LUT-table conversion, which the results are fine for me.
    - Dolby Vision. As far as I am aware there are no (cheap) capture cards that can process this. My TV (2016) is limited to 30hz DV anyway, so I just watch HDR10 content.
    - ARC/CEC does not work using this capture card in between, but since my receiver has multiple monitors out, I use the main one just for ARC/CEC and another one for display. Works fine, but of course you would need a receiver that has multiple outputs.

No problem :) Wouldn't it be better to downscale the signal first, then you can capture it at 1080p? :) I think the problem with that approach is that Dolby Vision down-scalers are expensive.

Downscaling and Dolby Vision are completely separate from each other. It doesn't matter al all. You simply need a device that either can process Dolby Vision or can convert it to an SDR signal somehow. That can be a splitter / scaler / grabber.

Hello @Dermot Duffy
    I'm using Hyperion on a Pi Zero and the CPU load is obviously high while Hyperion runs. When I turn only the LEDs off the load stays high but if I click on the "Deactivate Instance" button in the Hyperion UI the load decreases.
    Therefore it would be better if the Home Assistant "off switch" deaktivates the whole instance instead of just turning the LEDs of. This should reduce the temperature of the Pi (Running 24/7 at 90% load versus running a couple of hours) and also improve power consumption. If it's a quick change if would definitely prefer to deactivate the LED instance instead of just turning it off.

For this you can use the direct API command switch I posted above Start/stop instance in Home Assistant

Sorry that I asked in German.

Do you use USB2.0 or 3.0?
    I suspect USB2.0 when I see your results.

Regards pclin

Very late response to this, but I found out this particular grabber is actually indeed a USB 2.0 device falsly marketed as USB 3.0 (with even the blue USB connector). So yeah, you where right. I can't be bothered too much with it, because it does fully work for all my needs.

@Awawa You have previously mentioned you turned off some core features (like CEC), even though the settings are still there. Is there a list of this? Are you planning on re-enabling these features again? It's a bit annoying no know what doesn't work anymore (and a bit strange).

I'm also hoping you will merge in the latest Hyperion.ng release. Obviously it would be better if your features would just be integrated into Hyperion.ng in general :) Can we expect this to happen?

I found a bug in HyperHDR: when (re)starting, the Remote Control / API sets HDR tone mapping on, but it is not actually on. This causes issues with my Home Assistant integration, because I can't toggle it off: it directly goes on again (in API response). This is what I see when I just started HyperHDR:

However: "HDR to SDR tone mapping" is still off in Capturing Hardware settings.

To actually reset this, I need to click "on" and then "off" in remote control :D

Here's one example of calling the Hyperion (NG) JSON API through Home Assistant and toggle Hyperion completely. You should be able to automate just about everything. Can also be rewritten to use curl.

Code
    switch:
      - platform: command_line
        switches:
          hyperion:
            command_on: "echo '{\"command\":\"componentstate\",\"componentstate\":{\"component\":\"ALL\",\"state\":true}}' | nc {IP_OF_HYPERION} 19444"
            command_off: "echo '{\"command\":\"componentstate\",\"componentstate\":{\"component\":\"ALL\",\"state\":false}}' | nc {IP_OF_HYPERION} 19444"

I actually use WLED (since I use that for the LEDs) integration to stop receiving a signal (+ a Power Plug Switch to disable the source).

Hey Puck,
    I can see that we have similar setups. Same Avr and both running Homeassistant. Could you share how you configured Homeassistant?

In order to get the signal state I use the following sensor:

Code
    - platform: scrape
    name: denon_signal_hdr
    resource: https://{IP_OF_DENON_AVR}:1234/ajax/general/get_config?type=12
    verify_ssl: false
    select: "Information Video HDMISignalInfo HDR"
    scan_interval: 10

The following switch toggles the HyperHDR tone mapping:

The following automation toggles the HyperHDR tone mapping based on the Denon AVR state:

Sorry that indentation is lost due to copy-paste.

@Infest Just tested this for you: I am able to trick the receiver easily into thinking the grabber supports Dolby Vision and it actually picks up a signal, just not a signal that is very useful. All colors are pink/purple/greenish. Not sure if there is a way to fix this with this particular grabber.

I guess you would need a grabber that specifically supports DV. Not sure if (cheap ones) exist.

Yes, my TV with Shield TV is limited the same. But since Netflix provides DV just with 24Hz it doesn't matter. Still, I want to get Ambilight working there as well, so I would really appreciate if you could test it in the coming days :) So far it seems to me that this could be a much cheaper way to get HDR/DV done in comparison to buying the HDFury Diva.
    There will be still the problem with the settings on RaspPi/Hyperion for changing to HDR/DV, but this is a problem for later :D

Yes I know, but I just don't like switching refresh rates all the time, and prefer the smooth interface in 60Hz. I tried to do this automatically through an app but this particular use-case doesn't see to be supported. I still need to investigate switching to 30Hz automatically based on app usage.

I use the HyperHDR fork and Home Assistant (see signature) to automatically turn on tone-mapping when my receiver sees it's outputting HDR. Works perfectly!

I will do a small test to see if I can get DV content to work this weekend and will report back :)

@Puck Have you tried if Dolby Vision is working? Since I saw from your EDID Emulator your TV should do DV. What does the "HDMI Information" say now, with the cheap Videograbber attached?

My TV does DV, but is limited to 30Hz for DV over HDMI (don't ask me why) so I never really use it on my Shield. If I really want DV I use the app on the TV which means I can't use Ambilight anyway. But to answer your question: I have not tested DV material. The grabber shows up as support for HDR10/HLG only, so no DV. Might work with the EDID Emulator in between, but again, I have not tested this and am not using this right now.

I can do a quick test later today or tomorrow if you want :)