Beiträge von PaulWebster

I am using the FadeCandy support that is in Hyperion (pre-NG).

My understanding is that Hyperion (NG or not) acts as a FadeCandy client ... I still need a FadeCandy server which is what this extra component is.
    This extra component (written in Python) then uses the Pimoroni Python library to drive the Pimoroni Mote sticks.

Or ... are you saying that NG now drives Mote sticks directly?

There have not been any Mote posts in the forum apart from mine (which I started nearly 4 years ago) so my guess is that this is a minority interest so I am not particularly keen to re-do things unless it makes it much easier/simpler.

Just in case anyone else did implement this ... you might find that it is broken by the October 2020 update to OSMC.
    This is because the Python module numpy installed following the guide does not match up with the Python build included with this OSMC release.

To resolve it simply
    sudo pip uninstall numpy
    sudo pip install numpy
    #then wait a few minutes and there will be some errors listed but it seems to work
    sudo systemctl start artnet-server

Full guide (not verified for fresh install on OSMC Oct 2020) at
    https://github.com/PaulWebster/artnet-unicorn-hat/tree/mote

I have a strip with 150 LEDs (5v - SK9822) and I am running them from a switched power supply (connected at each end).
    However, 1 person in the household can hear an annoying power supply whine when it is driving the LEDs hard.

So - does anyone with bat-like hearing have a recommendation for a 10A (or higher) power supply that does not do this?

My 'current' one is branded LEADSTAR.

Interesting development from Philips ... Amibilight driver box with 4xHDMI in - 1xHDMI out - to drive Philips Hue lights.

Retail price €249.95 / $229.99

https://www2.meethue.com/en-us…mi-sync-box-/046677555221

IR receiver
    WiFi 802.11 b/g/n 2.4 GHz
    HDMI 2.0b with HDCP 2.2 and CEC
    Video resolution 4K 60Hz HDR10
    Bluetooth 4.2 for WiFi setup

I know that this is much more expensive than building something similar from other bits and pieces but may well be successful with people who don't want to work out how to put the pieces together themselves.

It is a long long time since I wrote anything substantial that required compiling but I'll take a look at how Philips Hue is done and see if I can do something similar with the LIFX LAN protocol

Hyperion on Raspberry Pi does its grabbing using dispmanx / frame grabber - which means that it is running independently of Kodi.
    Is there a way (apart from me stopping/starting Hyperion) to send light updates only when a video is playing?
    I understand that the Kodi add-on does this by sending the light updates to Hyperion but that does not help on RPi.

If there was a JSON function in Hyperion to Suspend/Resume Hyperion updates then this could be a way to do it - then Kodi add-on could send that (and skip sending light details on RPi).

Someone else has now tried it as well and it works for there as well (although that installation does not have the full complement of 4 Mote sticks so it requires some more fiddling around).
    If there is anyone else with Mote sticks who would like to try then let me know.

Thanks.
    I tried it and it did not seem to have much effect - although I did not measure it. I was going to but then ... I took a quick look at the code in hyperion/libsrc/hyperion/LinearColorSmoothing.cpp
    It looks like it continuously sends Black (RGB000) when off - e.g. when screensaver kicks in - at least according to the comments.
    However, the code empties the output queue so I think it would need more digging to work out what happens.

I'm going to move the lights to be on the same machine as Hyperion so the traffic can go through localhost which makes the issue go away (sort of).

Is there a configuration option to reduce the network traffic to a remote server when the LEDs have not changed (since last time or after X repeats or Y seconds)?

If not - then I think it could be useful - at least in the case I have which is using OPC/FadeCandy to send to a remote LED installation.
    For example - when the display is idle and all LEDs are set to 0 then Hyperion sends the 0 pattern N times a second.
    I know that packets can get lost - so perhaps it could have a configurable number of repeats in conjunction with a timeout.
    e.g. if same pattern sent 10 times in a row then do not send any more until pattern changes or 30 seconds elapse.

While not a huge amount of data (say 32kbps) it would make it more network friendly while sacrificing a small amount of CPU.

Quick update ... I now have something working.
    I found some code use Pimoroni Unicorn HAT as a Art-Net & OPC/FadeCandy network device ... so I adapted that to drive the Pimoroni Mote.
    It works (although there are some unhandled issues largely due to networking not being 100% reliable).
    I plan to put it on GitHub after it has survived some soak tests.