1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

144leds/m for a small 40"...Won't it be too much leds?

Discussion in 'Hyperion Hardware' started by propergol, 24 September 2016.

1. propergol

propergol New Member

Hardware:
    RPi3
    Hello,
    I am wondering if I didn't make a mistake buying 144 leds /m strip for a 40" TV
    I haven't received the strip yet and only have the PI3 and also waitting for a 5V26A Meanwell PSU.

I am wondering if all those led (390 total :ninja: ) won't ending producing too much light.

I have also a doubt regarding the PI connections to the strip : can I realy plug the signal wire diretly to it or does it need what you call "level shifter"?

Thanks a lot for your help.

2. penfold42

penfold42 Moderator Developer

Hardware:
    RPi1/Zero, RPi2, RPi3, 32/64bit, +Arduino, +nodeMCU/ESP8266
    It may well be too bright.
    I have 30/m on my 55"

If it is too bright you can either reduce the brightness or disable every 2nd (or maybe more) LEDs in the config.

You are right the doubt the direct Pi connection. By the spec sheets it shouldn't work but does indeed work for many people.

3. propergol

propergol New Member

Hardware:
    RPi3
    Thanks for your anwser.

An other question :bigsmile: : as I was uncertain of what circuit I would and with, I did bought an Arduino Uno, just in case....
    I now know that APA102 doesn't need it but the question is : would the overall responsiveness/quality of my setup be better using PI+Arduino rather than only the PI alone?

4. penfold42

penfold42 Moderator Developer

Hardware:
    RPi1/Zero, RPi2, RPi3, 32/64bit, +Arduino, +nodeMCU/ESP8266
    Simpler is better usually!

An arduino does give you a bonus level converter and if you screw up some wiring you're more likely to kill the cheaper arduino rather than the Pi.

Right now I have 2 pis with home brew arduinos on them cos I have ws2812 led strips.

My most recent Pi uses my ws2812_spi led driver directly