1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RPi + OSMC Ambient Lighting Shut Down

Discussion in 'Hardware Support' started by voyagerxp, 11 April 2018.

1. voyagerxp

voyagerxp New Member

Hardware:
    RPi3, +Arduino
    Hey guys i've just set up Ambient Lighting for my tv using a video from YouTube and all my lights are working like they should. The problem i have is when i've finished lets say watching a movie on my kodi based htpc i power off my htpc, amp and tv via my Harmony Elite remote but my ambilights stay on fully lit and don't turn off unless turn off from the hypercon software. How can i sort this?.

The way my lighting is set up

[​IMG]

2. Akriss

Akriss Active Member

Hardware:
    RPi1/Zero, RPi2, RPi3, 32/64bit, +Arduino, +nodeMCU/ESP8266
    My solution was to use a "PowerSwitch Tail" (or sometimes called "IoT Power Relay")

I use it to turn the led power supply on/off automatically with the TV power.

Just one idea.

3. voyagerxp

voyagerxp New Member

Hardware:
    RPi3, +Arduino
    Any links to theses devices world be great, UK if Possible

4. nokia3660

nokia3660 New Member

Hardware:
    RPi3
    I too have osmc on rpi3 and hyperion but no grabber. In my case, usually, hyperion turns the lights off after a certain period of inactivity. All I do is stop the movie in OSMC and shutdown the TV. The Pi still runs in the background. I too have had times when the lights just stayed on all night but mostly it had behaved.

But for the love of god, I have no idea how this is happening or where it is configured.

5. Akriss

Akriss Active Member

Hardware:
    RPi1/Zero, RPi2, RPi3, 32/64bit, +Arduino, +nodeMCU/ESP8266
    "IoT Power Relay" Sparkfun has a few.

6. voyagerxp

voyagerxp New Member

Hardware:
    RPi3, +Arduino
    Can't find any in the uk

7. voyagerxp

voyagerxp New Member

Hardware:
    RPi3, +Arduino
    Does anyone know of a Logitech Harmony Hub compatible device i can place between the led stip power supply and the lights?.

8. LunarBlue

LunarBlue Member

Hardware:
    RPi1/Zero
    You can buy a cheap IR remote with usb dongle and execute bash commands on your rpi via LIRC (since this is IR you can use it with a harmony too :) ) https://www.ebay.de/itm/142706660579

or

plug the usb power cable from the HDMI2AV converter into your tv. If your tv turns off the converter will not get any power either.

edit:
    little guide how to use LIRC with that remote
    https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=63484

9. voyagerxp

voyagerxp New Member

Hardware:
    RPi3, +Arduino
    Tried plugging the HDMI2AV converter into my usb on my tv but the lights still stayed on when i turned my tv to stand by. I've brought a Sonoff ITEAD Smart Home WiFi Wireless Switch that will work with my Alexa. I'll put it between the led power supply and the led strip so it will cut power to the lights.

10. LunarBlue

LunarBlue Member

Hardware:
    RPi1/Zero
    I guess it depends on your tv model, with my LG Tv it works fine.

11. voyagerxp

voyagerxp New Member

Hardware:
    RPi3, +Arduino
    Some tvs must still give the usb port power after tv is put in standby.