Another "LEDs don't work" post

• Hi All and many thanks in advance. Mods: please move this post if this is not the correct forum :)

I'm thinking there is a communication issue between the Pi and the Arduino as everything works perfectly when the Arduino is connected to a PC running the Adalight Processing sketch but nada when connected to the Pi.

Hyperion installed without a hitch using HyperCon on the Pi and based on logs, is responding to video, etc and even the remote Android app. However, there seems to be a lack of communication Pi --> Arduino as the indicators (small led arduino lights) show no activity except when connected to the PC.

Too, other sketches sent to the Arduino work as expected (TwinkleFox, Demo Reel, etc etc). The initial Hyperion rainbow swirl effect never displays and when I select an effect from the Android app such as Knight Rider, it too does not display yet, the log shows the command being executed and seemingly without error.

I'm using RPi with RasPlex connected to an Arduino Uno controlling 50 WS2811 (3-wire) string LEDs. LEDs are powered with a 5v 10A supply. The Arduino and Pi are powered separately with their respective power supplies so, there is no backpowering of devices in order to rule out those issues. The Arduino is connected to the Pi via USB with no other USB peripherals attached.

The external frame grabber is disabled as I'm, at this point, going to only use the internal option for videos played via Plex.

LEDs are connected to pin 6 of the Arduino with LED ground connected as well. Pi is connected via HDMI to the telly along with ethernet, of course.

Pi is SPI-enabled as confirmed within config.txt:

Code
    # Required for hyperion / lightberry
      dtparam=spi=on

Curiously, at the end of the file are these entries which duplicates the spi=on function but also adjusts the UART speed:

Code
    [all]
    include distroconfig.txt
    dtparam=spi=on

#Increase UART speed
    init_uart_clock=14745600

Arduino is using the "official" Hyperion sketch:

The Pi's Hyperion config is:

I've attempted adjusting serial baud rate on both devices (always matching) using 100000, 115200 and 5000000 with no success.

Hyperion log shows activity and what appears to be normally working software. I did start and stop Hyperion several times as indicated in the log to ensure there were no errors:

I tested the communication between the Pi and Arduino by installing Sketch on the Pi and successfully uploading to the Arduino so it seems they can at least communicate. I've also swapped out USB cables and even tried a different Arduino unit to no avail which makes me think it may be something on the Pi, configuration or otherwise.

Hopefully I've provided enough details and in the correct format. I'm thinking I've overlooked something simple. Thoughts?

• Not sure how I missed that - thanks!. Changed it and reuploaded the sketch:

Code
    // tested with 500 leds and is fine (despite the warning)
    #define MAX_LEDS 50

// type of your led controller, possible values, see below
    #define LED_TYPE WS2811

Unfortunately, results are the same except that now when the Arduino boots there are two quick flashes of the LEDs - all at once and in white.

• Out of curiosity, what happens when you change the Type parameter to "Adalight" in the Hypercon config?

I'm running a similar setup to yours and I didn't get any response from the Arduino until I changed the Type parameter.

• :thumbup: Sharper eyes then me.

That exact problem drove me nuts for an hour this past weekend. I'm down to 2 small other issues (Effects don't work, either via the Hyperion startup sequence or via HyperCon from my phone; and the last LED in the string doesn't light even though the Adalight script blinks it in ITS startup and I have the proper number of LEDs defined in my config), but that's best saved for a thread of its own.

• Ok ... I changed type to Adalight and ended up with a string of errors then realized I had spelled "Adalight" incorrectly. Changed it, restarted Hyperion and reset the Arduino and was greeted with the Rainbow Swirl then ... fancy lights around the video :D

Tested the Android app ... works.

Tested changing the colour within Hypercon ... works.

Thank you ever so much!

Posting my final configs below so if anyone has the same configuration they can try the same.

Next steps: Properly attach the LEDs to the telly and duplicate the setup for my bedroom telly. Thanks again!

• Mama,

We're running very similar setups. Is the last LED in your string responding to what's on the screen? Mine works fine on the Arduino startup and in Hyperion effects, but not when reacting to the screen.

• Mama,

We're running very similar setups. Is the last LED in your string responding to what's on the screen? Mine works fine on the Arduino startup and in Hyperion effects, but not when reacting to the screen.

The last LED on mine is responding similarly. Interesting. I just spent the better part of an hour looking at the same. Mine works fine on the initial double white burst from the Arduino but Hyperion startup, effects, etc all ignore the last LED. Probably a topic for another post - going to search the forums a while to see if this has been previously discussed.

• Mama,

So, the last LED doesn't work in Hyperion effects at all, but the initial double white burst does work? Our symptoms match exactly, except for that one detail. My last LED works on everything EXCEPT responding to what's on the screen. Startup flash worked on all 222 before I disabled it, Hyperion effects work (including if I add a startup effect to the Hyperion config, it responds to the color wheel in HyperCon and the Hyperion app. Very weird....

• Sorry for the delayed response ... yes to what you stated. Out of curiosity I saved an image of the SD Card, then tried a couple other varieties of Kodi including LibreElec, OSMC and OpenElec. Although they are supposed to be extremely similar I found installation and usage very different for each and even quite a few ambiguous instructions ex: LibreElec site says DO NOT use the LibreElec-specific add-on rather use the standard Hyperion install ... meanwhile ... Hyperion says DO use the LibreEelec add-on. OSMC: complete mess and could not get anything to work. OpenElec ... nightmare. LibreEelec: using the Hyperion standard install was easy-peasy and the internal grabber works like a charm but the external grabber is a no-go.

My point to the blabbering above: my LEDs worked 100% perfectly as intended in all flavours of Kodi *except* for RasPlex. Something is amiss there.

• Can you please share the right arduino config? (you posted the same one twice)

I am having this issue and I have no idea how to solve it. Thanks in advance!

I've tried with openelec and raspbian, right now i am using raspbian using the hypercon installer and i can't even change the colors "ssh out: Unable to connect to host"

If anyone can help me I can even pay him. If there is any group or something in telegram, please, advise me, my username is @Josepdal

• Didn't realize I did that but the Arduino sketch that I am currently using is the same as the first one I posted. It's also the "official" Hyperion offered sketch you'll find on this site.As far as having the same issue: are speaking of nothing working or simply the last LED not lighting? If you're still having issues, please create a seperate thread and be sure to include all the pertinent details ... exact hardware/software, Arduino sketch, Hyperion config and list the exact steps you have taken. This will help tremendously. :)

Edit: didn't notice you "quoted" a portion of the thread (small screen format here). I simply changed the "Type" within the Hyperion config to "Adalight" from "WS2812" and it worked. I did not change the Arduino sketch.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!