Benefits of using Raspberry Pi with Arduino

• Trying to configure Hyperion with WS2812B using a Raspberry Pi & Arduino and have not been successful.
    I will provide the logs if necessary but at this point my question is just to compare the benefits the setup.

Hardware
    Raspberry Pi Zero W (to run Hyperion)
    Arduino UNO SMD (to drive the LED's)
    WS2812B (200 LED's)
    UTV007 Video capture

Software
    Raspbian (latest version)
    *Not using any media centre

Is there something that has to be done to send data from Raspberry to Arduino and are there any benefits over this setup compare to just the Raspberry Pi Zero W?

• If I remember correctly to drive WS2812B's on a Rpi the driver has to use PWM and that has bad side effects, that I can't remember what exactly. An Arduino is much better at driving WS2812B's.

Have you programed the Arduino's firmware with the sketch from here? (https://github.com/hyperion-pr…ino/adalight/adalight.ino)

Hope it's of help.

• If I remember correctly to drive WS2812B's on a Rpi the driver has to use PWM and that has bad side effects, that I can't remember what exactly. An Arduino is much better at driving WS2812B's.

Have you programed the Arduino's firmware with the sketch from here? (https://github.com/hyperion-pr…ino/adalight/adalight.ino)

Hope it's of help.

Originally I did not use this sketch but this time I did and I also added the "dmanum" : 10 in my config. I still do not get any output from my LED's.
    The LED works when the sketch starts, however there are no changes to the LED when I test it through HyperCon

• This was my working config before I started using the development version of Hyperion (Hyperion.NG). It's all most the same setup you are using, However It configured to use internal grabbing, not a usb grabber. Maybe something to reference well help.

• since the sketch was based on the older but still viable "Adalight" ambient lighting system that used a Aurdino along with WS2812's I think keeping same naming is for homage. Just my thought.

But anyway, ("type" : "adalight",) is when a aurdino is being used to drive the led's and ("type" : "WS281X",) is when connecting directly to the Rpi pin's

One more tip: make sure that the sketch and your config match in respects to the value in ("rate") in config and (define serialRate), in the sketch.

Hope it helps

• since the sketch was based on the older but still viable "Adalight" ambient lighting system that used a Aurdino along with WS2812's I think keeping same naming is for homage. Just my thought.

But anyway, ("type" : "adalight",) is when a aurdino is being used to drive the led's and ("type" : "WS281X",) is when connecting directly to the Rpi pin's

One more tip: make sure that the sketch and your config match in respects to the value in ("rate") in config and (define serialRate),

Yeap, just updated the rates to 500000, does it do any good to go higher?
    Also, now I guess my grabber isn't' working. I'm using Easycap UTV007 but seems to throw me this error:

what(): VIDIOC_S_STD ERROR 25, Inappropriate ioctl for device

• Increasing the rate will help smooth out the refresh rate's, (I believe) however generally faster is better,

I have gone as high as 1,000,000.

Some aurdino boards are better at higher baud rate and some not so much. You will have to employ some trial and error to maximize you hardware.

what(): VIDIOC_S_STD ERROR 25, Inappropriate ioctl for device

Not so good news. have a read here. (https://hyperion-project.org/t…icro-easycap-support.578/)

• I guess I'll have to order another grabber then. Thanks a lot, I have managed to at least get the LED's working through my Arduino.
    I think that someone should add this in the documentation that if an Arduino is to be used, 'Adalight' is to be selected.

• I guess I'll have to order another grabber then. Thanks a lot, I have managed to at least get the LED's working through my Arduino.
    I think that someone should add this in the documentation that if an Arduino is to be used, 'Adalight' is to be selected.

Did you check your EasyCAP to verify whether it has the right chipset? I recently ordered one from Amazon and it does indeed have the UTV007 chip inside. If you shine a light close to the body of the device you can see through the holes, it's printed right on the middle of the chip.

I'm asking because I currently cannot get anything to work. I'm also trying to use a Raspberry Pi into Arduino Uno and I don't see any parts of the setup that tell the RPi to drive the LEDs through the Arduino.

• Well, no sooner did I say that, I actually got it to work. Using this https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod…age_o01_s03?ie=UTF8&psc=1 EasyCap, with the UTV007 chipset as advertised. Firstly, to get the RPi to drive the LEDs through the Arduino, it appears you set the following from the Hardware tab in HyperCon:

Type: Adalight (maybe other options work) and
    Output: /dev/ttyACM0

I had one other issue personally, that you may or may not have had. I'm using 228 LEDs, and apparently that is too many for the internal memory of the Arduino Uno. I changed my sketch to 150 LEDs and bam, everything started working. Only problem now that I see is that it is on all the time, and I'd like the ability to switch off. The off button in the Android app only appears to control the colorwheel selection, then it goes back to ambilight.

• Well, no sooner did I say that, I actually got it to work. Using this https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod…age_o01_s03?ie=UTF8&psc=1 EasyCap, with the UTV007 chipset as advertised. Firstly, to get the RPi to drive the LEDs through the Arduino, it appears you set the following from the Hardware tab in HyperCon:

Type: Adalight (maybe other options work) and
    Output: /dev/ttyACM0

I had one other issue personally, that you may or may not have had. I'm using 228 LEDs, and apparently that is too many for the internal memory of the Arduino Uno. I changed my sketch to 150 LEDs and bam, everything started working. Only problem now that I see is that it is on all the time, and I'd like the ability to switch off. The off button in the Android app only appears to control the colorwheel selection, then it goes back to ambilight.

Yea, this was my exact same issue. I never knew that I had to use Adalight as the Type. And regarding the grabber, the chipset inside mine isn't UTV007.

Not sure about the LED's while using the ambilight tho, I'm haven't got my grabber yet so I can't say if it works well yet, however with about 200 LEDs, the Hyperion app color and effects works perfectly fine. Now that you mention about being unable to turn it off, I might consider adding a switch as well.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!