Cannot control LEDs, among other things

• Hello all,

I've been following this forum for a while and have been on this Ambilight project for several weeks. I am finally resorting to creating my own topic here. I'm using RPI 3B+ and LibreElec 8.2.4 with about 100 APA102 LEDs. I also have some 74HCT08 chips for a level shifter.

Please skip this background if you're only interested in helping my immediate problem:

Background:
    [INDENT]I spent my first weekend with allnighters and had it finally found it working randomly when i came home from a day out.
    The lights worked perfectly for a week. Then, while sending a new config file when trying to color correct for my blue painted wall, the software stopped working entirely. I believe somehow all the memory available was used up and hyperion said it could not even store screenshots anymore.

I decided to do a fresh install of everything since I needed to permanently fix everything anyways and in doing so I extended the power supply by several feet(2m) and added about a foot (1m) to the data/clock wires. Then I encountered this strange behavior. The first LED would rainbow swirl, sometimes skipping the blue color, and the second LED would flash and none of the other LEDs would light. Thinking the flashing LED was bad, I snipped it out and soldered the 1st to the 3rd but now the 3rd LED also flashed haphazardly. I then decided to cut the 1st. Called a friend over to run some tests and ended up shorting the RPI 3B somehow when we were testing with the unused strip of LEDs.

Now I have resoldered everything to this unused strip of LEDs, with a new RPI 3B+ (which randomly keeps dropping wifi and I need to manually reconnect via KODI menu) and I cannot even get Hyperion to run.
    In between this and the last sentence, I went to bed, woke up, and formally soldered my level shifter together to a perf board and some jumper wire connectors. I currently have Hyperion running smooth, allegedly.
    [/INDENT]
    /End background.

When I kill hyperion, I can take screenshots and they are accurate and when I try to control a color, I don't recieve any errors. Currently all of my LEDs are lit but only when I jostle the wire connections a bit. I am not able to change any colors.
    What's truly frustrating to me is that I keep bouncing between thinking it's a hardware issue vs software issue. I'm un able to narrow it down. Scratch that, what's truly infuriating is that it was working before!

Can someone provide any input? I'll attach my config and SSH output below:

The screenshot came out properly, tried to change colors RED, then BLUE and then GREEN but the LEDs remain white. Trying to initiate a rainbow swirl from my phone produces no results either.

• I'm not sure here, so I may be very wrong. but I did a little research and:

74HCT08 chip's are a bit different then 74AHCT125.

74HCT08 from reading look to be a logic gate. (https://www.diodes.com/assets/Datasheets/74HCT08.pdf)

74AHCT125 are not: (https://www.diodes.com/assets/Datasheets/74HCT08.pdf)

I have not used 74HCT08 before not again I'm not sure. However, 74AHCT125 work in every led project I have tried.

edit: maybe a 74HCT08 can work, its wired very differently from a 74AHCT125 (https://hyperion-project.org/wiki/Supported-hardware)

• You're right, they're different. After ordering I noticed I started seeing more of the 125s on this forum but I got the 08s because of this post: https://hyperion-project.org/t…ter-based-on-74hct08.512/

And I seem to understand the logic, if someone can confirm or correct me. I believe the 74HCT08 cascades 2 AND gates in order to buff up the input voltage to match closer to that of the chip's VCC (5V). I think the 74HCT125 does the same by using NOT gates (inverters) and Buffer gates.

When I had my Ambilight working the first time, I wasn't even using a level shifter but I also did not have any extended wires whatsoever. After redoing everything, I introduced a level shifter into the mix thinking I'd improve the voltage level since lengthening the wires could affect voltages ever so slightly (I think, someone please correct me if otherwise).

• And I seem to understand the logic, if someone can confirm or correct me. I believe the 74HCT08 cascades 2 AND gates in order to buff up the input voltage to match closer to that of the chip's VCC (5V). I think the 74HCT125 does the same by using NOT gates (inverters) and Buffer gates.

After referencing this chart ( http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Pro…/digital-logic/gatesfunc/ ) I believe you are correct.

• I believe my power supply was the issue. Let me rephrase that, it was a issue. I have hyperion running perfectly, like it did the first time, on my spare strip of LEDs. I tried the following:
    * Hyperion running on spare strip, without the extended wires, with the lever shifter -- works perfectly
    * Hyperion running on spare strip, with the extended wires, with level shifter -- works perfectly
    * Hyperion running on spare strip,with the extended wires, without level shifter -- works perfectly
    * Hyperion running on previous strip,with the extended wires, without level shifter -- FAIL
    * Hyperion running on previous strip,with the extended wires, with level shifter -- FAIL
    * Hyperion running on spare strip,with the extended wires, with level shifter -- FAIL

It's very possible for the last case, I soldered incorrectly and will check again when I get home from work tonight. I'm at a loss for the previous strip, though. Do I just trim out LEDs until it works? Cut it into 4 equal pieces and check each length? Can I run a conducive continuity test of some sort?

If anyone could offer any input, please let me know.

• Both reels of LED's are the same? Purchased at the same time from the same vendor? may be one strip is a SK9822 ? Some sellers seem to interchange the two for some reason.

(cpldcpu.wordpress.com/2016/12/13/sk9822-a-clone-of-the-apa102/)

Cut it into 4 equal pieces and check each length?

I would do that. But near the size needed for the project.

• They should be. To clarify they're both from one product I bought off Amazon. It was 1 (one) 5m strip where about 3.6m was used for the tv and 1.4m laying around. I did at one point drive the 3.6m with reverse voltage but all LEDs on that strip would light up regardless, every now and then.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!