Capture card selection help

• Hi to everybody.
    I'm using Hyperion since 2019 on a HD TV.
    It was composed of an RPI3B, an APA102 led strip, a Fushicai USBTV007 capture dongle, an HD HDMI splitter and an HDMI2AV converter to feed up the capture dongle.
    Everything worked fine.
    Now I got a new 4k HDR TV (Sony KD-55A8), so I have at least to update the splitter to a 4K, but to simplify all the system I tought to change a little bit more than only the splitter.
    I would try to use a capture card with a loop output. In that way I can avoid the splitter and the HDMI2AV converter.
    I found this device on Aliexpres https://www.aliexpress.com/ite…937460.0.0.1a292e0eSHYf45 (Coffee version because of 4k60Hz support)
    Does anybody use it or know if I can use it with success with Hyperion?
    TIA
    Roberto

• Sounds good. I did some additional tests yesterday and it seems to depend on the device providing the signal and potentially in what order the devices are started.

To eliminate all interference from switches and such i connected the HDMI signal directly into the Rullz box and from Google Chrome it was good from the start, from my network player it wasn´t. What I saw in the beginning was that the resolution suggested on the input was 1920x1080, but since then the resolution suggested is now 800x600. I lower this to 640x360 (a lower resolution with 16:9) aspect ratio.

The Rullz device I got is the one with 1080p60, but as it says on the Aliexpress site, 60hz is not stable, so I lower the output from devices to 30hz.

I still need to experiment more. I will post my results here, but looking forward to your experience.

• That is the same behaviour I have seen. However, it seems that I have a viable workaround, but it does require one to log on to the web interface.

My setup consists of 3 devices, all connected into a Delock 3 - 1 HDMI switcher. From there I take the image into a 4k HDMI splitter, one for TV and one for the Rullz. I have tired to forego the splitter and use the loop on the Rullz HDMI capture card, but I had problems with that, but let's address that further down.

With the setup above, overall things are working nicely, but, sometimes when switching between inputs on the Delock switcher, the Hyperion will stop getting a signal and will default to whatever setting I have for that (flickering candle). To remedy this, I then to to the Hyperion config web and then simply go to disable Led instance and re-enable it and it will work again. This is an acceptable workaround for now, but perhaps there is something to be done on the compatibility of the Rullz device.

So, back to the loop on the Rullz. It simply did not work well with my setup. I tried a lot of things, but in the end I just threw the splitter in there for a stable setup. While I was testing, I noticed that it seemed that some of my HDMI cables did not behave well and resulted in dropped video periodically for a few seconds. Replacing those cables helped and I no longer have drops. I have also not tested the loop with these new cables as things are working now and I can´t be bothered changing it around.

I have read a thread on here in the German section (I can read, but would struggle in writing). Perhaps we can tag that user in here and hopefully he can align with us in English. I will try to send him a private message.

• I also have a 4K tv... I run content in 4K @ 60hz.... I found this device that works with 4K 60hz...

It captures to 1080p but running through my AVR, it shows it's capturing video when I am running 4K, or 4K HDR content fine...

Just a FYI if someone wants to input 4K content... It's just a capture device. MY AVR has 2 HDMI outs for different zones or a 2nd monitor...

• I might try that one. Incidentally it seems that my HDMI cables play a big part as well. I have some no name or cheap cables that seem to "choke" and blink out. Once I change the cable things are much better.

• I started with one of those before I found out that the Denon VSX-90 with it's 2 HDMI outputs will not output on the second channel any source is a HDMI.

• I might try that one. Incidentally it seems that my HDMI cables play a big part as well. I have some no name or cheap cables that seem to "choke" and blink out. Once I change the cable things are much better.

It's a cheap device. They claim 4K 60hz but, when I got it, the box says 4K 30hz. I tested and it clearly works with 4K 60hz.

My AVR would drop the lowest setting, so those cheap HDMI to A/V only support up to 1080p, so it would cause my my Media Center to drop to 1080p when my Ambilight was connected.

After this device, 4K 60, HDR10+...no problems at all. Tested 4-5 different movies...

Yes, use a decent cable. I noticed fairly good cables that are short will carry 4K 120hz no problems (I have a Xbox Series X) but, go past 10 feet, all bets are off. If you are using a 6 foot or less, unless it's really cheesy you'll be fine.

I started with one of those before I found out that the Denon VSX-90 with it's 2 HDMI outputs will not output on the second channel any source is a HDMI.

There is a setting in the menu where I could set dual output, or select another device. I do have a Denon AVR-X6200W, not sure if there is a difference here.

EDIT: the VSX-90 is Pioneer, not a Denon... so can't really help here, unless you have the model wrong ?

Check your on screen menu settings....

• Thanks but I explicitly checked in the manual and they state the config I want to do is excluded. I suspect it is yet more copy protection someone required. Very disappointing but the splitter I got works great including CEC.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!